Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2017 CR-V Touring with 30K miles. The local Honda dealer recommends fuel injection clean, transmission flush and rear differential fluid change at this mileage. I would appreciate thoughts on if these services are required now, later or not at all.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I would suggest checking the owner's manual 1st.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,742 Posts
Trans service (fluid drain & fill) and rear differential D & F are covered by your MM (Maintenance Minder). Look in the owners manual to see which codes they 'set' when due.

Fuel Injector cleaning is NOT recommended. The Top Tier fuel that Honda recommends will keep the injectors clean. (My recommendation is to do an occasional 'Italian Tuneup': full throttle accel on a warm engine, to explore the upper reaches of the rev range.)

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
4,985 Posts
If the dealerMachanic is telling you these are the changes you must do. and you are telling us you do not know, what do you think we will tell you?
Change the Oil it's due, change the atf if it's due, change the diff if it's due, Are they due, that is the question I will ask you? are they due? your car is with you not us and we can not see the schedule oil and number on the dash

·
Registered
460 Posts
Use your left-right navigation buttons on your steering wheel to navigate to the wrench.
The Maintenance Minder (i.e. wrench menu) will count down a percentage until your next required maintenance,
it will also tell you what code (maintenance steps) will be required, as a letter and a number. Look in your Owners Guide to determine the the code meaning.

You should know what maintenance has been performed, so if the next interval is asking for something more than an oil change and you know it was recently performed, you can ignore that specific step until it comes up again.

Generally, Honda recommends rear differential fluid change for AWD around 15K, 30K and then 30K intervals there after.
Google "Honda transmission fluid interval" for an idea of that interval.
And, go by Carbuff2's recommendation for the injectors.

Changing fluids more often will do no harm to the vehicle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just did some research on 'Italian Tuneup' and found this https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a23778262/italian-tune-up-explained/
They stated that "One of the studies he looked at discovered that running a direct-injection turbocharged engine at high loads may actually increase the chance of carbon deposits forming."
"Fenske adds that bringing your car to redline just once every time you drive it probably isn't enough to cause any significant carbon breakdown—you'd need a constant increase in temps to have any real effect."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts