Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

RES on 2012 CR-V - Bad Implementation?

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  businessspice 
#1 ·
I am now the owner of a 2012 CRV EX-L w/RES, and like it better the longer I have it. I did not really want the RES as my Pilot has it and the kids are older now and it would be used very little, if at all. However, the dealer made me a "deal I cant refuse" as the only CRV he had that matched my preferred color happened to have RES on it.

I really did no research on the RES as I had no intention of buying - so to my shock after signing the paperwork and getting the orientation, I slid open the center console door between the seats (assuming the DVD player was either in the dash OR up above where the screen is) and find the DVD player is tucked inside that console. Further more, the slot for the DVD as well as all the controls are facing straight up. No protection whatsoever. Is it me or is this just a bad idea for location?

I am very concerned that this dvd player is just an accident waiting to happen.

Questions:
1. Does anyone else with a 2012 w/RES have any similar concerns, or am I just being overly protective?
2. To those that have 2012 w/RES, do you have any good ideas for a makeshift cover for the DVD face to prevent dust/dirt/crumbs/spills from destroying the unit? Doesn't look like Honda sells such a thing.

I have 2 teenage drivers that will be using this CRV from time to time and as much as I try to keep the cars clean - it is just a matter of time on that DVD player based on the location they put it.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have the same concerns as you. If I find a suitable cover, I'll post it. In the mean time, I plan to keep the console closed as much as possible, and use the remote instead of the buttons on the unit.

Somewhat related, I ordered a 2nd pair of aftermarket headphones for $30. Will report back on the performance.

#3 ·
I got the RES in mine too, I didn't really want it either. But like BKG-22 said, it was on the lot and was the right color and they dealer made a good deal on it. Not sure if you guys have noticed yet, but there's no AUX port like the other models, that's because you can go to the AUX on your radio and listed to what's playing on the DVD player. Other than that it does take up a lot of room and is kind of in a bad spot. I don't know why they couldn't get a smaller slim DVD player...

#4 ·
Well I got some cheap headphones from audiovideo2go, and they work pretty well. The comfort and sound quality are good. The sound is very clear, separation is good and the frequency response is good. They have a bit less volume and bass than the factory ones. And they have a side switch instead of automatically turning off/on when folded/unfolded. But they aren't bad at all, considering they were only $29. If you're looking for a second pair and don't want to spend $90 on the OEM ones, these are a very good alternative.

Like Snickolaz, I wasn't looking to get the RES, but it was part of the deal. I'm actually glad I did now. Although I wish it didn't take up so much console space, it works well, and my kids really enjoy it. Having a nice integrated unit beats having to bring a laptop or other playback device.

#8 ·
I think I am the only one that demanded a RES model. I made the dealer get one that an employee had to drive 387 miles to deliver it to the local dealership, plus I demanded a heck of a deal. Lol. At least they came through. I paid $27,500 out the door, tax, tags, title, every single thing. Not too bad I figured.

I was just unhappy with the screen. I have a 20 month old daughter and perhaps 1" bigger would have been better but I see they chose the size they did because it does not stick down into the line of sight out the back window. Also, if it was able to tilt left or right that would have been a nice feature too. Overall though it gets the trick done.

I don't have much of a concern that the slot and buttons face up. The top cover is always closed so it would be very rare that something would actually spill or fall onto it. Just my opinion. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.