Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Just wanted to report here as to my current findings related to using IPODs in my 2017 EX-AWD that I purchased about 2 months ago now from my honda dealer.

(FYI: I have a 256GB flash drive in the right USB port with a bunch of music, both MP3s and WAVs, which the radio does play both! ..nice to know the radio can play uncompressed WAV files for those that don't like compressing their music)

I have a 2nd gen IPOD Nano, that has worked flawless in my last car (08 TL) for the last 8 years. After about 1 week in this car, it started giving me the 'device not connected' error on and off, would require reboots of the ipod to get it back, and as well as the stuttering/popping when listening to anything from it.

Radio reboots, ipod reboots, same thing, nothing fixed it. I bought new cables, then went and bought a 7th gen nano, pretty much brand new. Figuring things would change going from old IPOD interface to lightning. It worked great for 2 days, but still had intermittient popping/strange noises mixed within the track I was playing.

So, I happend to stumble upon a thread on an apple discussion forum, about usb cables and their 2017 CRV, and resolved the entire issue after they ended up trying very short UsB cables. I thought that was quite odd, but figured WTF, why not..
(I can't find this link to the apple forum, wish I could recall the link...)

So here I am, 1 month in after swapping to a 4-inch USB to lightning cable, and it's been flawless, not a single error, sound is perfect, and NO device errors, and it's super fast when you switch between 'sources' and go to the ipod. Before it seemed to take 5-10 secs. before it finally connected to the ipod.

This tells me Honda has a serious timing problem or USB transceiver problem in their radio that drives these USB ports. I used both 4" and 7" lightning cables, different types from amazon, and both were perfect.

I'm attaching a pic of the one I have in there now, and a links to the cable I bought.

4" lightning:
(I don't have enough POSTS to actually post a URL, dang, so just search this at Amazon:)

AmazonBasics Double Braided Nylon USB A to Lightning Compatible Cable, Advanced Collection - Apple Mfi Certified Silver 4-Inches (10 Centimeters)

pic installed:

Vehicle Car Vehicle door Family car Wire

I just hope this helps many others that have been having similar issues with IPODs or other USB devices that require connectivity via a cable. Also, I bought that $40 CD player that someone posted a link to on this forum (via Ebay from Chinda), it's a USB to CD player that works in this radio. It TOO has the same stuttering/playback problems because the built-in USB cable on the player is like 2-3ft long...

So I'm going to cut it short and resolder inside, which should fix the issues with it as well.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Thats great news. I am glad you have solved the problem.

Just an FYI on the problem, it is not a Honda issue or an Apple issue it is a cable issue.
What you have is lots of data traveling through a cheap cable and by time it reaches the USB port on the Honda's panel it then has to travel along even more cable to reach the actual HU USB port that processes the data and by that point it is corrupted. I have seen issues like this with numerous cables for various types of ports. The most common are Ethernet cables and HDMI cables. Some people will get no picture with a cheap HDMI cable of "proper spec" for 4K video or 1080P and when they change to a good brand of cable it suddenly starts working. Even more common are people who try to use long lengths and get nothing then buy a shorter cable and then get a picture. Ethernet has the same issue but will slow down it's speed until you get data. Change the Cable and people are shocked at how much faster their transfer speeds are over Ethernet.

You might be able to use a longer USB cable you just have to find one that is very high quality.

Rob

·
Registered
340 Posts
It probably also means that, by the time Honda cables from the HU to the console, they are much closer to USB interface margins for voltage drop, etc. Some devices will be more tolerant than others when operating near the margins of an interface spec like USB. And, as @robbyg notes, the quality of cables here could also push things over the edge from working well to working poorly pretty easily.

Honda could probably make this more reliable by putting a powered hub in the console rather than just using passive cabling from the HU. But they'd have to care about making it reliable in the first place. As things are, they can just show some device or other on their compatibility list and blame failing cases on the user's device or cable.

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L FWD Modern Steel Metallic
1,266 Posts
Hi All,

So, I happend to stumble upon a thread on an apple discussion forum, about usb cables and their 2017 CRV, and resolved the entire issue after they ended up trying very short UsB cables. I thought that was quite odd, but figured WTF, why not..
So here I am, 1 month in after swapping to a 4-inch USB to lightning cable, and it's been flawless, not a single error, sound is perfect, and NO device errors, and it's super fast when you switch between 'sources' and go to the ipod. Before it seemed to take 5-10 secs. before it finally connected to the ipod.

AmazonBasics Double Braided Nylon USB A to Lightning Compatible Cable, Advanced Collection - Apple Mfi Certified Silver 4-Inches (10 Centimeters)

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Lightning-Compatible-Advanced-Collection/dp/B0753QM9BG/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=AJVYRWXKFRRZ6DRD0HJG

pic installed:

View attachment 125381
curious - what about 1 ft/12 inches? i prefer a little longer than 4 ins.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats great news. I am glad you have solved the problem.

Just an FYI on the problem, it is not a Honda issue or an Apple issue it is a cable issue.
What you have is lots of data traveling through a cheap cable and by time it reaches the USB port on the Honda's panel it then has to travel along even more cable to reach the actual HU USB port that processes the data and by that point it is corrupted. I have seen issues like this with numerous cables for various types of ports. The most common are Ethernet cables and HDMI cables. Some people will get no picture with a cheap HDMI cable of "proper spec" for 4K video or 1080P and when they change to a good brand of cable it suddenly starts working. Even more common are people who try to use long lengths and get nothing then buy a shorter cable and then get a picture. Ethernet has the same issue but will slow down it's speed until you get data. Change the Cable and people are shocked at how much faster their transfer speeds are over Ethernet.

You might be able to use a longer USB cable you just have to find one that is very high quality.

Rob
Ok, I have to disagree here. This *IS* Honda's problem, not entirely ours. If they had done the USB interface correctly at these ports, we would not be looking at a borderline usb interface that goes over the edge from a standard 3ft usb cable.

Yes I agree there are many knock-off cables out there for various interfaces (HDMI, USB, Ethernet, etc) that are not built according to spec, and cause serious signal degradation.

USB, (like HDMI and Ethernet), uses differential signaling for it's digital data. As far as I know, most Apple (and clone) USB to lightning (or old 30 pin interface) cables do NOT actually have twisted pair wiring in their cables, which is bad practice, defeating the whole point of differential signaling and common noise coupling. But, for the common environment, the typical 1m (3f) Apple lightning/30 pin IPOD cable is good enough.

I haven't looked at some tear down photos of this 2017/2018 CRV HeadUnit/Dash, but I would bet some money in that Honda used their standard wire bundle setup that they always use, from HU to the USB ports, with straight wires all bundled together, and NO twisted pair for the USB data lines. In the Vehicle, using unbalanced/non-twisted pair wires for USB will just pick up so much unbalanced noise on the lines, and just lead to more errors on the USB bus. By the time we are at the USB ports, we already have a half-a$$ed setup. Add on another 2-3ft and we are now getting tons of errors.

But this is truly what I believe is going on, we have to use short USB cables because of the crappy wiring from HU to ports. You may be able to go for 2ft or 3ft wires (or even longer) if you can find a REAL USB<->IPOD cable that has good shielding and actual twisted pair, but as far as I know all apple cables are not made this way, as well as certified 3rd party. So this type of cable may be harder to find... and remember, most people buying these cars, and using an iphone, ipod, etc have a cable provided to them when they bought the device!

How many CRV customers are going to go right out and say "I need to buy a high end cable so I can use my ipod in my car"?

If anyone has any photos of the wiring bundles behind the HU to the USB ports, we can prove this out for sure. But the 5v USB power/gnd should be fine, for this short distance from HU to USB ports, any voltage drop would be negligable. Also add on top of that differential signaling requires wire lengths to be equal so that reception timings are identical... they could also have issues here as well depending on their bundle setup...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I also got some 1ft cables, that seemed to be ok.. I didn't run them for long though, so you'll have to try and see if you do get some random pops or stuttering issues... I did 7" and 4" cables, both have been perfect, and different manufacturers as well.

But yeah, I agree with everyone that cables do have a part in the overall picture, especially if they aren't done right. But it certainly seems in this case that Honda didn't pay attention to how they were setting up these USB ports, so by the time the signal is at the ports, it's already degraded and noisy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.