Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states... all of the black plastic trim is oxidizing with whitish blemishes and looks unsightly. This includes the black panels separating the windows, the wheel well trim and the trim all along the bottom of car. What can I do to restore it? How much to replace if need be? I had it restored by a detailer and it looked good for two weeks but came back worse than ever. I Want to keep the V looking good and new for a few years. What do I need to do? Or replace? and how much?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,789 Posts
'Oxidized' black plastic has been a problem for cars for decades. Ever seen an older Jeep Wrangler? The unpainted wheel arches are the 'worst'. ?

If your plastic is really unsightly, the most long-lasting action is to paint it with a flexible bumper paint. Make sure you prep it correctly (especially important if you have treated the black in the past...those treatments diminish the ability of paint to adhere.)

If you don't feel like painting, but are OK with doing ongoing maintenance, then some treatments like Back to Black and Turtle-wax ICE have been recommended. The most you can expect from products like this are ~ 3 months. Formula 303 has been mentioned too. (Suggest looking at some Auto Detailing forums for more information. Autopia or Detail City are a couple.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
What Buff said...painting is your best option. Second best are the plastic treatments. Third best is using a heat gun on the plastics.

I've done the heat gun trick. It works but the plastic will oxidize again in a year. It's also very easy to melt the plastic. Plus, it takes a lot of time to do a bumper.

Just go with the prep and paint route and never worry about it again.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
As the title states... all of the black plastic trim is oxidizing with whitish blemishes and looks unsightly. This includes the black panels separating the windows, the wheel well trim and the trim all along the bottom of car. What can I do to restore it? How much to replace if need be? I had it restored by a detailer and it looked good for two weeks but came back worse than ever. I Want to keep the V looking good and new for a few years. What do I need to do? Or replace? and how much?

Go to the grocery storw and buy some peanut butter or peanut oil.
It will make it all look like new then just rinse it with a hose and wash normally.

100% serious

·
Registered
43 Posts
I’m about to restore my trim and have discovered that to successfully do the job you MUST remove ALL of the previous products before beginning. I’m going to use wood deck cleaner (TSP/trisodium phosphate). If you read the product description it preps surfaces for application. I wouldn’t be surprised if detailers don’t perform that step

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2 Posts
'Oxidized' black plastic has been a problem for cars for decades. Ever seen an older Jeep Wrangler? The unpainted wheel arches are the 'worst'. ?

If your plastic is really unsightly, the most long-lasting action is to paint it with a flexible bumper paint. Make sure you prep it correctly (especially important if you have treated the black in the past...those treatments diminish the ability of paint to adhere.)

If you don't feel like painting, but are OK with doing ongoing maintenance, then some treatments like Back to Black and Turtle-wax ICE have been recommended. The most you can expect from products like this are ~ 3 months. Formula 303 has been mentioned too. (Suggest looking at some Auto Detailing forums for more information. Autopia or Detail City are a couple.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts