Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our '07 EX-L has had it's day - it's been a great car (~160k), but has had a bunch of issues recently and it really seems to be telling us that it's ready to retire (or at least, retire from us...)

My wife & I test drove an EX-L Hybrid last weekend and really enjoyed it (power seats! - things that were new 10 years ago will be new to us) - I think we're more or less ready to pull the trigger, but I was wondering peoples thoughts on accessories - my gut tells me that it'll be cheaper (possibly better?) to get floor mats and roof racks after and not OEM - is there anything we should get straight from the dealer? anything to avoid?

I would also love thoughts on price - from what I can tell it's a sellers market, and there isn't much if any wiggle room on the MSRP. (The car the dealer had listed on their website wasn't even on the lot any more!)

Thanks for any thoughts!

·
Premium Member
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
5,244 Posts
My dealer threw in the OEM weather mats. Never hurts to ask.
You also might see if you can negotiate for better tires than the stock ones.
Since, as you say, there's little wiggle room on the MSRP, the bargaining happens on your trade-in value.
Remember used cars are worth more these days.
Good used cars are hard to find. The mechanic who evaluated my trade bought it, it never even hit the lot.

Reactions: metcalfjohn

·
Registered
2021 Honda CRV Sport
371 Posts
I personally did not like my rubber OEM matts. They do not cover the area right under the accelerator pedal. We get a lot of snow here. I might change in time.
Im not sure if the front hood deflector was worth it. The angle does not seem right. I would have gone aftermarket on that.
Check used prices and run the maths if you are financing. When I calculated the numbers before I bought mine. I was the same price or even cheaper to buy new.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Check the true car pricing just to make sure there are no offers running.

For accessories also check the online prices before going blindly with the dealer..

I would get the safely kit from Honda. Found the aftermarket ones not that good.

Also get the hitch installed at the dealer, if you ever plan to carry a bike. It will be difficult to get it done outside without affecting the warranty.

All weather mats are almost the same price outside for good ones, so if you like the design, you can add from dealer.

Also you might be knowing about the absence of a spare tire in hybrid. So do check if you want to add one from gas version to yours.

When I was looking, everything was heavily overpriced and didn't go with anything more than what was already installed by dealer.

Looking at the amount to vehicle theft, you can negotiate with the dealer for the security system they have installed for their parking lot. Else they will just disable it and give. All the wiring and module will be still in the car.

If you are a hands on DIY person, most of the accessories can be added later at half or less than that of the official OEM pricing.

Congrats for your new CR-V.. do share some pictures of your old one and new one once you get it.

·
Premium Member
5,244 Posts
Thx @beww - as far as tires - I don't even know what to ask - we have Pinelli Scorpions on our '07 - they seem to do fine..?
Those are good tires, but not likely to come on a new vehicle without extra cost.
I'm using Michelin Defenders and have been very satisfied (though I have less than 300 miles on them right now).

Reactions: canoemuse

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks @D2s! I was thinking to get the splash guards - one of those sites has them for 1/2 off! We have a local mechanic who we like who I would feel comfortable with installing pretty much anything - so I may even get those splash guards ahead of time.

As far as the hitch - we do have a UHaul one on our current '07, would love to still have the capability - I saw on another thread that this one works with the Hybrid, so we will likely go that route.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
10,984 Posts
Maybe this is a Brit thing, but I've always asked for every accessory I can get during negotiations :)

Reactions: Charlie1960

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just took a deep dive into the new/used car market. Be prepared to be offended and to walk away. New car dealers are in the postion of power. If you pay MSRP -- you'll have done great. If you pay a little over MSRP -- you'll have done great. If you can get a car without the dealer mandating you have to take their stupid add-on's -- you'll have done great. Chip, harness, parts shortages predicted through 2022. No incentive for dealers to negotiate -- someone will buy the car at their price eventually. Unless it's a Chrysler 300 or something like that. I bought a 2020 CRV Touring Hybrid with luggage rack installed, pearl paint, and 3800 miles from Carmax for about $1000 under new car MSRP. It stung to not get a bragging kind of deal or to be able to negotiate but given the circumstances -- I did great.

·
Premium Member
5,244 Posts
I just took a deep dive into the new/used car market. Be prepared to be offended and to walk away. New car dealers are in the postion of power. If you pay MSRP -- you'll have done great. If you pay a little over MSRP -- you'll have done great. If you can get a car without the dealer mandating you have to take their stupid add-on's -- you'll have done great. Chip, harness, parts shortages predicted through 2022. No incentive for dealers to negotiate -- someone will buy the car at their price eventually. Unless it's a Chrysler 300 or something like that. I bought a 2020 CRV Touring Hybrid with luggage rack installed, pearl paint, and 3800 miles from Carmax for about $1000 under new car MSRP. It stung to not get a bragging kind of deal or to be able to negotiate but given the circumstances -- I did great.
What's most important is you got what you wanted. Sounds like a reasonable deal today.
3800 miles isn't even to the first oil change, You're on the border between "tested" and "used". :)
If you're trading, you at least get the benefit of those higher used prices.

Reactions: Burnbrighter

·
Registered
100 Posts
Didn’t bother to buy accessories at the dealer, they’re usually overpriced. Was focused on negotiating the deal, we were fortunate to purchase prior to chip shortages at end of 2020. The game differs now but expect to pay at MSRP or $500 less? Anyway, I bought most if not all accessories at bernardiparts.com on OEM rubber mats, cargo mats and slash guards. Also got carrying spare tire from third party. Those OEM rubber mats on this CRV are pretty decent I must admit, I usually go to husky mats for nearly all of my pickup trucks.

·
Registered
2021 CR-V Hybrid EX Obsidian Blue
207 Posts
Get the OEM roof rack, sill protectors, and splash guards. Get the weathertech HP floor mats and cargo liner.

I went from a 2008 to the 2021 hybrid. It's like driving a car from the future!

·
Registered
2021 CRV Hybrid
81 Posts
The only add on I went for on my EX-L was a package they were pushing for ceramic window tint, floor mats, including rear Cargo cover, side door bumpers and front clear protector. Forget what it cost, probably $1,100, which wasn’t bad for what I got. I haven’t regretted spending the money. Rolled into my 0% loan.

·
Registered
2021 Touring Hybrid (Sonic Gray Pearl)
46 Posts
I got the OEM cross bars and splash guards. (I also like my OEM all-weather floor mats and cargo tray, but they were part of a side deal where the sales guy bought my trade-in. As someone already mentioned, if you're buying them the price is about the same for WeatherTech.) The cargo net probably wasn't worth it -- I mostly use a cheap folding trunk organizer that I had bought years ago for my Civic.

·
Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
9,619 Posts
I am in the camp of "less is more" where accessories are concerned.

In my case, the only functional things I have added to my 2017 since purchase are:
1) rubber floor mats with side splashquards, front, rear, and cargo. (avoids suffering from a world of dirt)
2) Sheepskin seat covers for the front seats. (makes seats passively cool in the summer and warm in the winter)
3) Photodon Screen Protector for the head unit. (absolutely THE BEST screen protector on the market for gen5 CRVs)

Most of the accessories sold for CRVs is fluffy eye candy, not actually functional, so I avoid them. My vehicle is a transportation device, not a fashion statement. :p On the other hand, exploring and shopping for accessories for a new car is kind of a long standing tradition with new owners. :)

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I am in the camp of "less is more" where accessories are concerned.

vehicle is a transportation device, not a fashion statement. :p On the other hand, exploring and shopping for accessories for a new car is kind of a long standing tradition with new owners. :)
I know this in the back of my mind, but always end up spending a lot on the extras. I paid 29k$ for an EXL hybrid in Jan 2020. But added lot of things on the way.
  • 6y/80k Honda care for 1400$ from dealer (I thought I'm getting a deal as the finance person was asking for 2500$. Later realized there were much better deals outside. My First car in US, so didn't knew about the online stuff)
  • Protection package, per installed by dealer. 1200$ for cargo protector, door edge protectors, scratch resistant sheets, splash/mud guards, wheel locking bolts. (I knew I was overpaying, but dealer was adamant on these)
  • Roof rails and cross bars from ebay. 160$. Self installed. Looks nice and feels sturdy.
  • Phone vent mount from Walmart 3$. Later fixed it to central console near to gear selector.
Then lot of Small stuff from Amazon. I usually research on the items I need and then track the pricing and buy them only when it's available for the lowest price.
  • Screen protector 10$
  • Roadside emergency kit 35$
  • Headrest Tablet mount 14$
  • Car Seat protector 2 for 24$
  • Silicon key fob cover 2 for 10$
  • Silicon licence plate holder 2 for 10$
  • Front sun shade 12$
  • Viofo front and rear dash cam 150$
I have a Ford back home in India, on which I used to add things only from the dealers. The schedule was, whenever I go in for a scheduled service, I'll add something new to the car, so it feels always new. There is no labor cost there for adding accessories, but may be baked into the accessory price itself. (Sad day today, as Ford announced exit from India market sales. Hope the service continues).

Cheers

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
Thanks all - I just checked TrueCar's price - avg paid price was ~$750 over MSRP. Eesh.
Crazy pricing. If you can wait, there might be better deals coming up towards year end.
It's better to buy when it's buyers market.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.