Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We picked up my wife's 2017 CR-V EX-L last week, and so far she's really enjoying the heated steering wheel accessory we invested in. (I actually looked at that as a safety feature for cold weather driving, so while expensive, it seems to be worth it considering it heats up really quickly.)

That brings me to the discussed elsewhere Canadian only features such as the heated windshield and heated rear seats. In our part of NY these are features we'd really like to have... Is it conceivable to get the required parts and retro fit them in? I only ask because I did that for some key features (such as the OEM aux input jack) on a Ford that I own and the fact that the dealer could actually install the heated steering wheel on the CRV without it being factory ordered...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Should have been a US option for the Midwest and East.

·
Registered
200 Posts
What is the steering wheel made out of, plastic/rubber? It really doesn't' get cold compared to older cars. It's a total waste of cash to have it heated imo.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Also living in upstate NY, I can appreciate the desire for those features. I still don't understand why they limit some of them to Canada only. There are plenty of areas in the US that are a lot colder and snowier than parts of Canada.

On a totally non-weather related item, I'd like to add the cargo area 12VDC socket :)

·
Registered
117 Posts
i have a Canadian LX and our LX is way better equipped than the usa LX. it costs a few thousand more (in canadian dollars) but the list of standard features makes it worth it. We the get same 7 inch screen as the EX and above models with android auto/apple carplay and the proximity lock/unlock, remote start, heated mirrors, etc
not really sure why they would have omitted the cargo area power socket for the usa market. seems like a strange thing to omit.
No snow yet to test the windshield deicer but i will next winter!

·
Registered
12 Posts
It seems to me I read about something similar in prior model years. The non-us versions (including European) are better specc'd. I have never seen a definitive reason why, but I have two theories:

1)US management is targeting a different price point for the vehicle

2) (and somewhat related to 1) I believe Acura is only in a few countries. In fact, its not even sold in Japan, with the exception of one model? Anyway, because of this US management may see Acura as the product for the ultimate capabilities and Honda as more of a 'regular folk' offering. Which I guess is me, because my high featured CRV is plenty enough in quality and luxury.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I don't mean to be dismissive about this feature. But, what's a good use case for the charging socket in the cargo area? I can't think of a single circumstance where that's of use.

The heated steering wheel is a feature I would love to have but I don't like that it's so invasive and I can't do it myself. It needs dealer intervention and while I trust their knowledge on the electrics, I don't trust them to not damage interior bits of my car while installing it and I don't trust them to return my steering wheel in a perfectly aligned position.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I don't mean to be dismissive about this feature. But, what's a good use case for the charging socket in the cargo area? I can't think of a single circumstance where that's of use.
Electric cooler (I own one).
Work light.
Ham radio.
Portable TV.

This is especially useful if you are using your CR-V for camping.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Electric cooler (I own one).
Work light.
Ham radio.
Portable TV.

This is especially useful if you are using your CR-V for camping.
But they all sound like battery drainers, I guess I only think of using these sockets while the car is in motion as I consider them battery drainers otherwise. And I couldn't see a case where a cargo socket would be useful while the car is in motion.

·
Registered
263 Posts
What is the steering wheel made out of, plastic/rubber? It really doesn't get cold compared to older cars. It's a total waste of cash to have it heated imo.
Most steering wheels are made by covering a metal frame with injection-molded urethane rubber. Many are wrapped in leather.

I wholeheartedly disagree with your opinion that heated steering wheels are a waste of cash. I've owned over two dozen vehicles and recently purchased my first (a 2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E) with a heated steering wheel. Even here in Texas, I would never want another vehicle without one now that I've had one. After activating the steering wheel heater either manually or automatically by using remote start when it's cold, the entire circumference of the wheel becomes warm in a matter of seconds and man, does it feel great!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The heated steering wheel "accessory" heats up very quickly. On those single digits mornings when you're running late it's great to have. Especially since some gloves are not very good for driving with....

·
Registered
92 Posts
But they all sound like battery drainers, I guess I only think of using these sockets while the car is in motion as I consider them battery drainers otherwise. And I couldn't see a case where a cargo socket would be useful while the car is in motion.
Reiterating the electric cooler. If you are on a multi-hour road trip, that would most definitely be used while in motion. Keeps your food/drinks cold.

·
Registered
64 Posts

The heated steering wheel is a feature I would love to have but I don't like that it's so invasive and I can't do it myself. It needs dealer intervention and while I trust their knowledge on the electrics, I don't trust them to not damage interior bits of my car while installing it and I don't trust them to return my steering wheel in a perfectly aligned position.
We used it in our 2002 for our ski boot warmers. Our boots became cold bricks that were hard to get on after a 2 hour hour drive. Not to mention it can be easily used or tapped for a rear facing camera people seem to be using these days.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts