Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I better investigate this as we have a 2001 Gen 1 ES Auto. Am now feeling sick as come 2010 the tax will be £430!!!! Anyone else about to be stung by good 'ol Gordon's bunch of inept t*ssers?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Presumeably it is not an X reg?
2001 X reg avoids the CO2 tax.

It is a bit unfair retrospectively increasing the tax by so much.
Tax as an incentive to change people's future behavoir is reasonable, but not penalising people for choices they made in the past and are difficult to change in the short term.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yeah he's really screwed people over with this
Luckily my V is a 2000 W so it's not emission based road tax, which is good as £430 p.a would just kill me!!
Works out that £430=£8.25 per week
Worst thing is it's going to hit people with family cars
1.8 & 2.0 Vectra,Mondeo,406 owners will also see a steep rise
I can see more people will just buy old (pre 31/03/01) cars which surely will have high mileage and are probably dirtier than newer Euro IV spec vehicles so this defeats the object doesn't it??

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Clue us Yanks In.

What is the issue? Sounds like you are getting hit with something like a carbon tax.

Can you give us Yanks a short version?

·
Registered
174 Posts
This is about the annual car tax, or Vehicle Excise Duty.

The CO2 tax applies to vehicles registered after March 2001. It was originally a 6 band system A to F; F being anything above 185 g/km CO2. The top band was initially about £185.

Cars registered earlier are taxed based on engine size on a two tier system: Up to 1549 cc (currently £120 /yr) and above (£185 /yr). This system now massively favours high CO2 cars, because the rate for the top tier is much lower than it would be in the CO2 system.

Later, a seventh top band G was introduced for cars over 225 g/km. However, this only applied to vehicles registered on or after 23rd March 2006. Initially only slightly more than band F, this quickly rose to its current £400 /yr.

From 2009 this will be replaced by a 13 band system. By 2011 there will be a 'showroom tax' i.e. first year of about £900 for the top band.

The big problem is that the band G exemption for 2001 to 2006 cars doesn't apply from 2009. Owners of cars from that period > 225 g/km, who avoided the top band until now, will suffer a cost increase from £210 to £440.

Here are the CO2 figures for a 2.0 auto CR-V.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts