Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm in the middle of installing a reverse camera to my Android head unit on my 2008 CRV (UK). All wires are routed, I just need to tap in to the correct wires at the reverse bulb.

Problem I'm having is there are 3 wires going to the reverse bulb (2 black and 1 green). I need to find which is Live and Negative. 1 Black and the green come from the wiring loom inside the car. The 3rd wire goes from the reverse bulb up to the indicator bulb above it.

I've attached a picture showing the reverse bulb near the bottom with the 3 wires.

Can anyone please shed any light on which I should be tapping in to?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
I dont know about the UK. Did you try using test light or multi meter to find the LIVE wire? I believe the GREEN is Live when in reverse! Maybe someone else has a wire diagram to better help you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't test it using a normal multimeter as the back of the bulb is covered in a hard black sealant to keep it weatherproof.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I live in the US and I just pull the bulb out and check connections there to find which one is hot when in reverse.

My guess would be the 2 wires coming from the car are the ones you need.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,785 Posts
In Honda speak green is ground black therefore is power

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finished it up now, the Green was Live. Both Black were Negative. From what I can see they've linked the Negative to the indicator bulb above and the Negative is then fed back inside loom over 1 cable rather than 2.

This would be so much easier if they conformed to the country's colour coding regulations (too expensive) or even if they just had an international standard for car wiring.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Finished it up now, the Green was Live. Both Black were Negative. From what I can see they've linked the Negative to the indicator bulb above and the Negative is then fed back inside loom over 1 cable rather than 2.

This would be so much easier if they conformed to the country's colour coding regulations (too expensive) or even if they just had an international standard for car wiring.
Good to hear to got it figured out. How did you test the wires? I did an older Accord and the GREEN was the LIVE reverse power wire. I just didn't know if it was the same in the UK.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought a cheap tester that pierces the cable insulation and makes contact with the wire.

For anyone in the UK reading this in the future. Use the Green as Live and I used the Black wire leading back in to the wiring loom/car as Negative. Works perfectly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts