Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does your 5th gen crv make a clunk noise when you brake in reverse?

Im pretty sure its suspension related noise as oppose to brake pads.

i have a 2019 crv ex-l, 6k miles on it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My 18 Touring does it but only the first time after it's been sitting a while, like backing out of the garage in the morning and backing out of the parking spot at work. Never really bothered me and it's been consistent so I haven't worried about it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 18 Touring does it but only the first time after it's been sitting a while, like backing out of the garage in the morning and backing out of the parking spot at work. Never really bothered me and it's been consistent so I haven't worried about it.
that sounds just about right for my car too.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Mine doesn't not
take note next time when you are reverse braking when the wheels are pointed left or right.
Will do. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow for the Owner's Guide recall/stickers so I will make doubly sure to pay attention when I back out of the drive. :)

·
Registered
136 Posts

I've heard of something like this before; I think it was the rear stabilizer bar that was improperly torqued from the factory.

Sent from my Samsung Tab A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Most likely the brake pads shifting positions in the calipers. The pads have to float slightly to prevent binding.
(y)

This was actually my thought as well... as it is very definitely associated with brake application in my case and only happens after the vehicle has been parked for sometime and everything is cooled down. Steering the wheel sleightly before pulling out of the garage does not trigger it, only brake application and only in reverse.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Update.....no clunk when backing up, turning left or right when backing up, or backing up straight/turning wheels and continuing back up from a stop.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I hear more of a “click” than a “clunk” when backing out of the garage. Pretty sure Traylaw has it nailed......pads shifting slightly in the calipers.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
I hear more of a “click” than a “clunk” when backing out of the garage. Pretty sure Traylaw has it nailed......pads shifting slightly in the calipers.
The clicking is normal, at a fresh startup on cold brakes when backing up in reverse. Probably the brake system self-adjusting or something.

The Clunking sound is different, but still appears to be brake related... at least in my case. I have never been able to get it to do it such that I can actually localize the exact source of the sound. It simply will not do it consistently enough for me to have my wife slowly back out of the garage while I listen for the source.

Since the brakes continue to work normally, and I never hear the clunk any other time, I'm not really worried about it.. just puzzled as to cause (which I honestly think Traylaw has pinpointed with his comment). :)

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I think the sound is "heard" due to it being reflected off the garage walls, when backing out. Don't notice it once outside.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's a normal sound. My 2006 Accord does that too and it is a characteristic of Honda cars. Refer to this post:

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Over at the RAV4 forum (we have a ‘09), they say to reduce brake noise, turn the radio up.?‍♂

·
Registered
34 Posts

If it's any help, my 2nd gen had the same noise. Turned out to be the axle. Clunk started in reverse, then forward too.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts