Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently replaced my OEM Bridgestone Duelers for a set of Yokohama AVID TRZ's.
80,000 mile warranty.
8.0 review average on TireRack.com

Immediately noticed a significant reduction in road noise. Some passengers I had in the car later that day commented on how nice and quiet the car was. All I hear on the highway now is wind and my engine.

Driving the car in a straight line feels "softer" and surer. The CRV feels like its floating along the road.

Turning feels sharper, and the car tracks better than before. The only negative might be that the CRV may now pull towards lines/grooves in the road. Haven't experienced it yet.

No rain driving yet.
No snow driving yet.

Will update as my experience grows with the new tires.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had these exact tires on my wifes 2003...the first 10k I thought they were quiet, handled decently (not that good in snow). The only thing I noticed initially is that the tires would really follow the lines in the highway (like the brush lines in concrete on the interstate), I've nevered experienced that with other tires, at least not to this extent.

Then they started getting louder, and wearing quickly! By the time I got new tires I was down to the wear bars, they were horribly loud and obnoxious and I only had 25k miles on them. I maybe drove 200 miles of gravel roads during that time, it was all pavement and concrete. I bought through discount tire direct and they took care of my issues and credited me back based on miles. I went up to a little bigger tire (215/75/15) and got Michelin LTX M/S tires. I have about 8500 on them so far, they're so much better than the TRZ's that I don't think they're even comparable. Then again, they are light truck/SUV tires so they're in a different class. This is just my $.02 for others that are reading this.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear what you're saying, but I'll take the 8.0 Average score from TireRack.com, over a single bad experience, any day.
A few things that make me discard your review:
25k miles and down to the wear bars??? These are 80,000 mile tires. I smell rubber... lots of burned rubber, and hard driving.
There's no mention of tire rotations in there.
Gravel roads
In addition, the TRZ's cost me about $80 per tire, installed. Those Michelins you claim to have replaced them with 1) Don't exist in our tire size 2) Cost $135+ just for the tire, from Tirerack. Imagine their price at a local tire shop, with install...

Yet another irrelevant Apples to Oranges comparison.

Anyways, the other day was my first experience with rain.
The tires performed above expectations. I found myself unable to break the tires loose, even in the wet. No crazy burn-out acceleration. Just a healthy dose of throttle, while accelerating from a full stop. Didn't do much highway driving, and didn't run through any puddles.

First day of snow flurries today. Snow driving updates incoming!

·
Registered
233 Posts
ok, you like the tires, w/ passion. passion can be good.
but, if "Those Michelins you claim to have replaced them with 1) Don't exist in our tire size 2) Cost $135+ just for the tire, from Tirerack." i wonder how one gets a cost for something that doesn't exist.
oh, maybe the standard vaporware costing algorithm used by some companies?

·
Registered
45 Posts
As I mentioned in my original post, I went with 215/75/15 so I could get a light truck/suv tire. I paid around $100 per tire with a mail-in rebate from Michelin that was available at the time.

As far as wear goes, they were good for 10k, then they started disintegrating...by the way, if you can "burn rubber" with your CRV I would be very surprised...it would take more than 176 hp to accomplish that. When I talked to the sales rep he was not surprised about the wear on these tires, which leads me to believe I wasn't the only one with problems. I drive this vehicle the same way I drive my full size pickup, I have 36k on the original tires with 10/32 remaining at the last rotation...at this rate I'll get 70k+ miles out of them...

I rotate every 6500-7500 miles...all four tires were bad, it wasn't a rotation problem.

Gravel roads - again in my original post, less than 200 miles on gravel

Regarding the apples to oranges comment, you must have missed this also..."I have about 8500 on them so far, they're so much better than the TRZ's that I don't think they're even comparable. Then again, they are light truck/SUV tires so they're in a different class."

I hope you have good luck with your tires, but for people viewing this message, I would strongly encourage you to look at the application for the tire before deciding. This tire size is often used on cars and the ratings online don't always distinguish this, a tire that is good on a car is not necessarily good on an SUV.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yokohama AVID TRZ

In 2008 I installed the Yokohama AVID TRZ tires (with the 80,000 mile treadlife) on my 2006 CRV. Today, 28,000 miles later, I need to replace them since they are down to 2/32 inch.

All highway miles, no off-road. Rotated the tires every 5,000 to 8,000 miles.

Today my local tire guy told me that the Yokohama AVID TRZ have a problem with tread wear and he is going to get me a pro-rated refund and hook me up with some other tires.

I'll report back what tire he recommends.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just passed the 5000 mile mark on my Yokohama AVID TRZ's.

No issues so far. No noticeable tire wear either.
One tire does seem to need air more than the others, but that could be due to the weather fluctuations in the North East.

Winter - Surpassed my expectations by far. I used to own a Chevy Tahoe, and the CRV with these TRZ's surpasses the Tahoe's winter performance.
Stopping, accelerating, anytime.
We park on the street, and I was the only person (amongst cars and other SUVs) who had the confidence to park on top of the huge snow/ice mounds at the corner of each block. They have been my personal "VIP" parking spot all winter.
Thanks Yokohama TRZ's!

·
Registered
845 Posts
Just passed the 5000 mile mark on my Yokohama AVID TRZ's.

No issues so far. No noticeable tire wear either.
One tire does seem to need air more than the others, but that could be due to the weather fluctuations in the North East.

Winter - Surpassed my expectations by far. I used to own a Chevy Tahoe, and the CRV with these TRZ's surpasses the Tahoe's winter performance.
Stopping, accelerating, anytime.
We park on the street, and I was the only person (amongst cars and other SUVs) who had the confidence to park on top of the huge snow/ice mounds at the corner of each block. They have been my personal "VIP" parking spot all winter.
Thanks Yokohama TRZ's!
Why would weather fluctuations in the North East only affect one tire? :confused

1 - 8 of 8 Posts