Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting to the end of my tether and am hoping that someone on here can give me some sound advice on my 2002 CRV. I have a problem in that if the revs drop below 2,000, the revs then drop completely and the engine stalls. This has happened before and I got the error codes read at my local garage which indicated problems with one of the oil pressure sensors or the vtec solenoid. Ringing the local Honda garage at the same time, their stock answer seems to be the timing chain. We changed the oil pressure switch first which made no difference to the problem, and then ordered a solenoid from America (even with import tax etc it's still around £100 cheaper than ordering from the UK) and swapped that two weeks ago. From that moment on, it ran absolutely perfectly, with a long run down to London and a few shorter trips. Then today while out in the car exactly the same thing happened, the revs suddenly dropped out and the engine stalled. It will always start again thank goodness so at least I can get it home, but wanted to check if anyone had had similar problems? Surely if it were the timing chain, once that was stretched that would be it? It's not exactly made of elastic so surely wouldn't run as nicely as it has been if it were that? The Honda garage just seems intent on charging me the £1500 plus for that whether it really is the problem or not - without them having done any diagnostics on it themselves! Even when it stalls like this, there is no rattling or tapping noises, so I am hoping for any glimmer or inspiration!

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
If it ran perfectly after replacing the solenoid (and I'm assuming it's the V-TEC solenoid) you or the shop needs to figure out why the solenoid fails.
I recently read a post here that talked about a screen in the solenoid that can become plugged. Maybe this is your problem or related to it.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
That second link with the pictures of the solenoid opened up is really helpful fixer, thanks for linking that.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Your welcome.

mazab1; Did you change your oil after installing the new solenoid valve? If not the new screen could be gummed up again.
EGR valve stuck open???

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys for your help, it's really got my partner and I confused - he's the more mechanically minded as most of it is gibberish to me! Last year we had almost the opposite problem in that if the revs went over a certain level (different in each gear) the power would cut out, also the engine would still run. We got a diagnostics check which indicated an issue with the oxygen sensors, which we then changed and it ran fine. Then a few weeks later, the current issue happened where the engine stalls if the revs drop below 2000. The coding was checked again, we changed the oil pressure switch, and the oil at the same time, and then swapped out the vtec solenoid. Ran for two weeks and now we're back to exactly the same problem. I seem to remember seeing something on here about an IACV, which could need cleaning out, would that make any sense? It just doesn't seem right that if the timing chain were stretched it would run fine one minute, go wrong, and then run perfectly well again - but as I say, I'm afraid I'm not mechanically minded! Looking online at the EGR valve, it does sound like the right symptoms, so that may be the way to go first - has anyone had to do this? Is it a big job? Thank you everyone for your comments and patience, it is very much appreciated! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, we've not got as far as checking the EGR valve, I had to limp the crv to the dealership to get a couple of safety notices done on it and I asked them to read the codes at the same time. They've come back and told me that the chain needs changing along with the guide rails, which they say should be a three hour job. Has anyone here done this themselves? Is it a big job? They say that they don't need to drop the engine out, just effectively take the front part of the car off. We'd like to avoid paying garage prices if we can, but if it's a bit too technical we may have no option :-( alternatively if there's anyone near Tamworth in Staffordshire, England who has the know how - we'd love to hear from you!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts