Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family are planning on going on a road trip from vancouver to LA. How many hours straight can i drive my CRV in a day? We wanted to be there asap without so many stops. Thinking also of driving whole night to avoid any traffic. Is it safe? any inputs and suggestions? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
116 Posts
well the drive is around 24 hours straight....like any car you should be able to drive it non stop til you run out of gas. you'll probably have to stop 3 or 4 times for gas. It won't overheat or anything. Although i hope your CRV is past the break-in period of 1000km

·
Registered
653 Posts
About a 21 hour drive? If you want to drive through (alternating drivers), that's your decision, but neither of you will be at your best. The traffic (especially near L.A.) can be a real bear at all hours, and you don't need to be tired and slow to respond.

I used to drive 16 hour stretches from Virginia to Maine -- didn't save me anything but a little money. I was too tired to do anything the day I arrived; on the 2nd day I felt like I was recovering from the flu. Now I either spend a night on the road or fly (if I'm traveling alone) and I'm ready to vacation/visit on the day of arrival. Also, are you traveling with kids? Better take that into consideration.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
The limiting factor will be the gas tank and your ability to stay an attentive, alert, driver. The car will not care. If you had an infinite fuel supply, you could manage to run the engine continuously until it asked for an oil change.

As an interesting factoid, in the late fifties a pair of men managed to keep a Cessna 172 aloft orbiting McCarran airport in Las Vegas for over two months, receiving fuel, oil, food, and water, via a pickup truck that sped down the runway while the plane flew a little overhead. The flight ended when the engine started to lose compression. If a primitive 1950's air-cooled engine can run for over two months at 80%+ of WOT the whole time, your 21st century engine cruising down the highway shouldn't even break a sweat with a piddly little trip like that.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thinking of driving like 6 hrs straight then rest for a few hours then drive again for another 6 hrs depends. (First day) same thing the next day. my crv is at 2700 km. My oil is at 60%. Do you think I need to change oil before doing the trip?

·
Super Moderator
3,205 Posts
I've done solo drives of 970 miles. Next time I do it, I'm taking a break for a nap after 8-10 hours. Stops only for gas, potty breaks etc. I tend to eat light 24 hours ahead of time and protein bars plus water on the road. 24 hours straight would be an immense feat. Two dedicated people could do it, but there are lots of things to show you down.
A relaxed attitude is crucial. Better nap an hour and get there safely.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts