Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took our 2017 CRV to the dealership due to the strong fuel smell and was told that some rodent chewed on the fuel pipe. This won't be covered by Warranty and he recommended using the Auto Insurance for it. The estimate is around $900 and I have a deductible of $500.

I am thinking whether it is worth using the insurance for this and I am up for renewal next month. Does anyone have experience using their insurance for such claims and whether it will increase the premiums? I have Progressive Insurance.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
1,706 Posts
I took our 2017 CRV to the dealership due to the strong fuel smell and was told that some rodent chewed on the fuel pipe. This won't be covered by Warranty and he recommended using the Auto Insurance for it. The estimate is around $900 and I have a deductible of $500.

I am thinking whether it is worth using the insurance for this and I am up for renewal next month. Does anyone have experience using their insurance for such claims and whether it will increase the premiums? I have Progressive Insurance.

Thanks in advance.
rodent harness damage is very common in alot of honda models.
I have honda anti rodent tape on all my engine harnesses, we have lots of chipmunks here & better to be proactive

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,579 Posts
Yes, that is right.
Comprehensive has limited value with that level of deductible, in my view, in many cases. You really do not save much on your premiums with setting comprehensive that high on the deductible, so after you get this issue behind you.. you might want to take a review of your current insurance coverage and deductibles. Higher deductibles make sense on the collision portion of your policy, but not on comprehensive coverage.

As for the actual issue.. it would be covered by your insurance comprehensive in most cases (unless your policy specifically excludes rodent damage), as long as your claims adjuster agrees it is due to rodents. No way Honda would cover it under warranty.

You are still at least $400 ahead on your expenses by filing a claim with your insurance, and comprehensive claims do not typically trigger a premium hike (unlike a collision where you are found to be at fault). :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Comprehensive has limited value with that level of deductible, in my view, in many cases. You really do not save much on your premiums with setting comprehensive that high on the deductible, so after you get this issue behind you.. you might want to take a review of your current insurance coverage and deductibles. Higher deductibles make sense on the collision portion of your policy, but not on comprehensive coverage.

As for the actual issue.. it would be covered by your insurance comprehensive in most cases (unless your policy specifically excludes rodent damage), as long as your claims adjuster agrees it is due to rodents. No way Honda would cover it under warranty.

You are still at least $400 ahead on your expenses by filing a claim with your insurance, and comprehensive claims do not typically trigger a premium hike (unlike a collision where you are found to be at fault). :)
Thanks!

·
Registered
655 Posts

Thanks in advance.
What exactly is “the fuel pipe “?
Are they describing the filling pipe?
$900?
Fuel systems and lines should be of metallic or other strong mouse proof materials, for obvious safety reasons.
Pretty unnerving to think there’s a $900 to fix “pipe “ in these fuel systems that a mouse can chew through.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What exactly is “the fuel pipe “?
Are they describing the filling pipe?
$900?
Fuel systems and lines should be of metallic or other strong mouse proof materials, for obvious safety reasons.
Pretty unnerving to think there’s a $900 to fix “pipe “ in these fuel systems that a mouse can chew through.
I was told over the phone so don't have exact details. But the total of $900 is $700 in labor and $200 in parts.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
No pun to anyone

not the Part.

then tell us exactly then us guessing.

·
Registered
2007 CRV EX
89 Posts
I was told over the phone so don't have exact details. But the total of $900 is $700 in labor and $200 in parts.
Yep... the labor is typically the killer. A couple weeks ago, the dealer want to charge me $550 to replace a $5 o-ring on the coolant pipe of my Toyota. Thanks to youtube, I was able to do it myself in 3 hours.

·
Super Moderator
7,579 Posts
No pun to anyone
View attachment 143072

not the Part.

then tell us exactly then us guessing.
This very filler pipe was replaced under recall on my 2017 CRV, due to a limited number of VINs where it may have not been properly installed.

So.. if this is the pipe in question, and I bet it is... then yeah replacement is expensive. The labor to change that out is at least 2-3 hours, and they also have to safety certify it after assembly to insure it meets all emissions compliance. And, only specifically trained mechanics (Honda trained and certified) are allowed to service this.

And I doubt you can get a non dealer service center to perform this repair.

So, yeah.. that price quoted.. if this is the pipe... about the $$ I would expect to see on the invoice.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
OP will need to find a shop, person who will do the job, then try to say the internet fixes the car.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Most likely the "pipe" is actually one of the evap plastic hoses. They are welded to the tank (both are plastic) and requires complete fuel tank replacement. I generally put a used tank in unless the customer wants a new one. One of cons of going green, the soy used in many plastics is rodent attractant.

·
Registered
130 Posts
the scary part is what happens if this situation repeats itself to dmitri again and again ......who the hell has time to take the assorted measures to prevent rodents from attacking your vehicle . they are relentless

·
Super Moderator
7,579 Posts
$900 !! Get a second opinion and have them show exactly where the problem is and explain what it takes to fix the problem.
Ever check labor rates at the dealer? This job is mostly labor.. not parts.. and it is for piping that is a pain to get to and change out.

The pipe we believe is being referred to actually takes about 3 hours to change out and verify all emissions checks are in compliance. (see my earlier post above). Add the dealer pricing for the pipe assembly (~$200) and I am not at all surprised by the $900 dollar price.

Of course an independent mechanic might do it for a lower labor rate.. but I personally would not let non-Honda certified service techs do this kind of work. When I had that pipe replaced under a Honda recall in 2017... there was only one service tech at the dealer certified by Honda to perform this pipe replacement.

·
Super Moderator
7,579 Posts
the scary part is what happens if this situation repeats itself to dmitri again and again ......who the hell has time to take the assorted measures to prevent rodents from attacking your vehicle . they are relentless
A valid concern, and something dmitri will have to wrestle with.

I doubt there is any soy in the components of this pipe... but that does not mean that it does not have other compounds in it's manufacture that might fool and attract rodents that think the smell or texture leads to some yummy soy to nibble on if they just nibble and dig in.

·
Registered
2018 CRV Touring AWD
260 Posts
Ever check labor rates at the dealer? This job is mostly labor.. not parts.. and it is for piping that is a pain to get to and change out.

The pipe we believe is being referred to actually takes about 3 hours to change out and verify all emissions checks are in compliance. (see my earlier post above). Add the dealer pricing for the pipe assembly (~$200) and I am not at all surprised by the $900 dollar price.

Of course an independent mechanic might do it for a lower labor rate.. but I personally would not let non-Honda certified service techs do this kind of work. When I had that pipe replaced under a Honda recall in 2017... there was only one service tech at the dealer certified by Honda to perform this pipe replacement.
Yes, I have checked labor rates at the dealer. I am not suggesting that the vehicle be taken to an independent mechanic. I am not disputing the $900 rate. All I am doing is making a recommendation that a 2nd opinion be obtained. SO --- What's wrong with that suggestion ??? Ever go to the doctor and decide to get a second opinion ?? If not, I suggest you do so.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts