Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

First of all, I'm new to the site, and recently bought a 2012 CRV. I am looking for a roof rack that I can use for carrying kayaks (and possibly other things, like bikes).

The factory roof rack looks a bit expensive, and I don't really like the look of it. I'm looking for something sturdy, versatile, and sporty looking. I've never used a roof rack before, so I don't know what things I need to consider (rail spacing, adjustability, etc.). If anyone can give me any advice on a good roof rack that will work with my CRV, it would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
511 Posts
I've used both Thule and Yakima roof racks for decades. They are rugged, easy to install and incredibly versatile.
One of the best aspects of either is you can move them from vehicle to vehicle by replacing the "foot" beds? for the next vehicle, taking the rails, etc. with you.
My current rack is a Thule and I've had it for near 20 years and it works great.
They are also much stronger than the general factory "roof rack" based on recommended load weight, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions! I’ve heard Thule or Yakima are the way to go, so these responses seem to confirm that.

I’m looking at the Thule Complete Crossroads Railing Rack 45058. It says it's a complete rack, although it looks like it requires existing rails to mount to. I’m not opposed to getting the factory Honda side rails, but I’m looking for other options. As Kai Winters said, it would be nice to be able to easily transfer to other vehicles. Also, it will be more expensive to get both this and the Honda rails. I’m not sure how much I should expect to pay for a full rack system (including mounts for kayaks and other things).

·
Registered
511 Posts
http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/buyers-guide?c=roof+racks&q=bhvNPTXms
http://www.thule.com/en-us/us/buyers-guide?c=water+sport+carriers&q=CQSATVXms

According to the Thule website...see links above...the basic rack kit is $400.00 and $220.00 for the least costly carrier for "one" kayak.
They aren't inexpensive, either Thule or Yakima, but you do get what you pay for and you can get a good portion of your money back if you want to resell the system.
They are also, in general, far stronger than the factory rack systems and in my opinion well worth the money if you are going to use them on a regular basis for carrying anything...I've carried 16' 2x12's on the racks and actually bent them because of the total weight of the number I was carrying but other than a slight bend they held up without a problem and I used them for a decade...still have them as a matter of fact. I've used both systems for near 30 years and never had a problem...generally carried my racing bikes and at one time I had 10 bikes mounted though only carriers for 5...carried the entire teams bikes and our spares to a race.

If your only going to need them just a few times a year you may want to think of other options...no suggestions...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, that's about what I expect. I'm not asking about price because I'm trying to be cheap - I just want to have a rough idea.

I think my main question is I don't know what I need for the complete setup. I looked at the "complete/all-in-one rack", but it looks like that still requires side rails to mount to. Do I need to first install the factory Honda side rails, and then get the Thule rack to mount on that? Is there another option (and is it a better/more expensive/less expensive option)? And of course after that, I will need the kayak mounts to go on top of that (that part seems pretty straightforward).

Cost is a consideration, but I'd rather not cheap out and get something worth it. From what I'm hearing, I should be able to get something that lasts a long time, which makes cost less of a factor. If I can transfer it to another vehicle in the future, that's also a big plus.

I would like to use this more than just a few times a year. To give more details on what I want to use this for: recently I've been getting into kayaking, and I'm looking into buying a couple kayaks so I can make a more serious hobby out of it. Before I buy the kayaks, I want to make sure I can work out transporting them. I want to have the freedom to easily take the kayaks out on weekends or whenever I can. That's the primary reason; I also may want to use it to transport other things, like bikes. So I primarily want it for kayaks, but I'd like it to be versatile (I'm guessing that just means different attachments).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts