Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
2016 Civc EX, 2020 CR-V EX Hybrid
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am negotiating the purchase of a new CR-V. I plan to buy the EX trim and need a roof rack for our tandem kayak. I would like to know if anyone has bought and is happy with the roof rack (not the rails and crossbars).

I understand that the usual way to do this is to purchase Roof Rails (Part# 08L02-TLA-100, list $399) and Crossbars (Part# 08L04-TLA-100, list $249.00) which will cost me $648, though I will of course try to negotiate a lower price.

However, Honda also sells something called a Roof Rack, which apparently attaches without a need for the roof rails (Part# 08L02-TLA-100A, list $349.00). So that would save me $300.

The rails and crossbars are rated for 165 pounds, the roof rack for 100 pounds. My kayak weighs about 70 pounds and it is the only thing I plan to carry. It seems to make a lot of sense to just buy the rack vs. the rails and crossbars, but I want to know if anyone has experience with this setup.

Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
Thule n etrailer are blowing out racks n things due to covid.
I usually push oem but check around n u might be able to save a ton.
Thule has a higher weight rated foot set that u dont need oem rails for

Registered
Does anyone know the difference between 08L02-TLA-100 and 08L02-TLA-101? I'm trying to buy these rails, and they both say they'll fit my 2019 CR-V, but I have no idea what, if any difference there is between the two.

Registered
2020 CR-V Touring 2WD
100 is replaced by 101.

Roof Rails (for Crossbars)
Honda Part No.: 08L02-TLA-100
Honda 08L02-TLA-100 Roof Rails (for Crossbars)

• Roof rails adds a stylish rugged to the CR-V.
  • When combined with the crossbars it makes your vehicle more versatile.
  • With the complete Honda roof rack you can add any of the attachments offered to securely haul your items.
  • This leaves more room in the int
  • Replaced By: 08L02-TLA-101

Registered
100 is replaced by 101.

Roof Rails (for Crossbars)
Honda Part No.: 08L02-TLA-100
Honda 08L02-TLA-100 Roof Rails (for Crossbars)

• Roof rails adds a stylish rugged to the CR-V.
  • When combined with the crossbars it makes your vehicle more versatile.
  • With the complete Honda roof rack you can add any of the attachments offered to securely haul your items.
  • This leaves more room in the int

• Replaced By: 08L02-TLA-101
OK. So either one would work, though I guess 101 is preferred?

Registered
I am negotiating the purchase of a new CR-V. I plan to buy the EX trim and need a roof rack for our tandem kayak. I would like to know if anyone has bought and is happy with the roof rack (not the rails and crossbars).

I understand that the usual way to do this is to purchase Roof Rails (Part# 08L02-TLA-100, list $399) and Crossbars (Part# 08L04-TLA-100, list $249.00) which will cost me $648, though I will of course try to negotiate a lower price.

However, Honda also sells something called a Roof Rack, which apparently attaches without a need for the roof rails (Part# 08L02-TLA-100A, list $349.00). So that would save me $300.

The rails and crossbars are rated for 165 pounds, the roof rack for 100 pounds. My kayak weighs about 70 pounds and it is the only thing I plan to carry. It seems to make a lot of sense to just buy the rack vs. the rails and crossbars, but I want to know if anyone has experience with this setup.
I just purchased the ....100A at a discount of a price less than the price quoted by our local dealer. Just google p/n and you鈥檒l find dealers who discounts. Yes it鈥檚 100 # rating but as aMechanical Engineer I can鈥檛 see how rails would increase the rating. They are constructed of quality HD plastic and aluminum. I just completed a trip from NJ to NC going 70-80 mph loaded. The cross bars are bolted to the studs under the strip. If you bought the side rails separately, they are bolted to those same studs and the racks are bolted to the rails. So I don鈥檛 bore you, pulling the strips, cutting them is the biggest headache! Figure at least 6 hours (my time) to a day and a half. eBay shows a combo rails and h. for $200+- total. Advantage? Cheaper and looks a lot easier. You pull and dispose the old rails. But check first because most of my time was spent on pulling the strip, w/o kinking the strip, cutting w/o scratching the roof.

Registered

Registered
2020 Honda CRV Hybrid
When I was emailing OEM for rails they said Thule actually manufactures their crossbars. I'm trying to get (Thule) crossbars installed so I'd like the rails (rather than a clamp-style fit), but he kept pushing OEM crossbars, but they only have a 100lbs weight capacity, where as Rhino Rack has 165lbs and Thule 220lbs, and I'd like to put a rooftop tent on my car. Anways, I think it just depends on the amount of weight you're anticipating to need to put on your car and choose the right crossbars to accommodate that.

Registered

Older thread, I know, but I am facing the same dilemma. I was thinking that one disadvantage of the Roof Rack as opposed to the combo of roof rail + crossbars is that the rack is a fair bit more difficult to remove when you don鈥檛 need it. Based on the photos, it appears that removing the cross bars would be a lot easier for the periods when you are not using them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts