Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Watching as I'm trying to decide this too
I went with the OEM after looking into both Yakima and Thule. The cost for parts was virtually identical for all 3. The biggest advantage of Yak/Thule is that you clamp them on yourself and don't have to worry about installation. Unless you have specific roof equipment that needs spacing different from the OEM set-up, they all appear to be comparable in my view.

With the OEM, I decided to do the install myself, which was quite easy and only took about 30 minutes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for posting this, all the detail was a great help. I did the install - took about 30 minutes (no beverages:). For the cut, I just put a foam garden kneeler under the trim and cut it straight across with a mini hacksaw. Quick and easy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been scouring the web trying to find an installation video for DIYers trying to put on their own rails. In the end I did it myself and created this youtube video for it. Hopefully others can find it helpful in the future:

Honda CRV 2013 Roof Rack Rail Installation Guide (Search on Youtube for title)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just installed the roof rails on my 2018 CR-V. I found factory OEM rails on eBay for $310, cheaper than most with shipping factored in. I attached Yakima corebar crossbars to the rails with Skyline towers and Landing Pad 19.

These detailed instructions were super valuable, so thanks for that. I ended up tightening the Torx nuts with a screwdriver with blue locktite to keep bolts from moving. it seemed a lot less risky and ft lb felt too low for a torque wrench. The rails seem super sturdy so hopeful this will work.

The whole project took me just over two hours. Not too painful and well worth saving $200+.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Just installed the roof rails on my 2018 CR-V. I found factory OEM rails on eBay for $310, cheaper than most with shipping factored in. I attached Yakima corebar crossbars to the rails with Skyline towers and Landing Pad 19.

These detailed instructions were super valuable, so thanks for that. I ended up tightening the Torx nuts with a screwdriver with blue locktite to keep bolts from moving. it seemed a lot less risky and ft lb felt too low for a torque wrench. The rails seem super sturdy so hopeful this will work.

The whole project took me just over two hours. Not too painful and well worth saving $200+.
:Needpics:

not worthless - just would be nice to see pics of the end result.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I got the OEM rails and crossbars installed today at the dealer - rails and crossbars. 800 bucks is no picnic but the parts alone aren't cheap even from college hills. Probably cheaper to spec these when you buy the car but I never thought my CRV would be used for vacations (had a Grand Cherokee too until recently). Luckily you can retrofit these unlike, say, AWD (which I did spec).

21 - 30 of 30 Posts