Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am looking to get a roof rail installed on my 2017 AWD EX Model Honda CRV. I was thinking about going through the dealer as I do not feel confident in buying an aftermarket roof rail and installing it myself. Does anyone have any experience with this installation through the dealer? I'm sure it's not the cheapest way to go but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Also I am planning on purchasing a kayak later on, does anyone have any recommendations on the rails for kayaks?

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
3 Posts
You're smart to go with OEM. I just tried installing an aftermarket one and it wasn't the quality I'd hoped for. I'll be returning it and ordering an OEM one. The install isn't too hard if you're mechanically inclined. I normally do all the work to our vehicles so tackling this isn't a big deal. If you're not handy then getting it professionally installed is smart.

The problem with having the dealer install it - other than the installation cost itself - is that you'll have to pay full retail (or higher, around here the dealers mark up 10-20% above list price) whereas you can buy the rails and crossbars online for around 20% cheaper than list price. You may even want to consider buying online and having the local dealer install, or show them the online prices you can get and ask them to price match.

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L FWD
416 Posts
There are numerous after-market out-fitters that sell (and install) optional equipment - often at much better price points than the dealer. Do some google work (on your local places) then give them a call.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.