Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some extra room to move my daughter back from college. Any recommendations of some type of cargo storage that can be put on the roof? I'm looking for something that I can throw on the roof a few times a year.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Thule is a good company with several roof and hitch carriers. If you go with a roof options you will need roof rails and cross bars. If you go the hitch route of course you will need a hitch. I have liked the hitch carrier since it is easier to load and unload

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I purchased and installed the crops bars from Honda. I'm still looking for a clean way of storing some items on the roof. I tried searching for a cargo bag but they seem to be too large as the gap between both rails is a mere 23" which gives me no way to secure the straps unless I go through the doors. Any other advice?

·
Registered
12 Posts
A 2" hitch on the back is the way to go. You won't scratch your roof. There are countless options for rear carriers/racks and if you need you can rent a small trailer. I installed the DrawTite hitch. It is literally 5 bolts. Simply lube the rubber muffler mounts and slip them off. Let the mufflers hang. Install the 5 bolts, slip the muffler mounts back on. Easy! Etrailer has everything you can possibly want.

In fact, installing a hitch took less time than strapping one of those vinyl carrying bags onto the roof.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
There are aftermarket hitches showing up now for the 2017. They are not expensive, fairly easy to mount (especially compared to the factory Honda unit) and should be great for one of those "excess baggage carrier" things.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts