Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, nice forum!
I´m from Uruguay, so excuse my english.

I'm planning to buy a Gen 2, to travel a bit with my family around Southa america, in a non complicated off road tracks.
I would like to install it a roof tent, but i'm wondering if the roof can handle the weight of a couple and a 8 and 10 kids....
What kind of bars can i buy to ensure stabylity, and good weight dispertion?.....

I know there are oof roads vehicules that can do that easily, but i'm trying to stick to a CRV, cause later,when we are back is nice to keep it, at dayly commuter.

Thanks a lot for your answers, and suggestions!

Fabian
Uruguay

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, Thanks for your answer.
Is crazy, to see that a Subaru Forester can handle a roof top tent but not a CRV.

I cannot say that this fact will change my mind to buy it, but for this travel, is an important thing.
I've seen some pictures of Gen 1 with roof tents, but not of gen2, it seems obvious now, after your repply.

Thanks again!

Fabian

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello,
in a previous post related to this it was stated that the CRV was not capable of a roof top tent due to the structural load capacity of the roof. As someone pointed out the CRV is essentially a civic. You might get away with a custom platform then setup tent on platform wherever you arrive.
After reviewing a number of video reviews on roof top tents it is wise to have higher load rating roof and roof/tent supports than recommended due to the higher forces exerted during on and off pavement use.
There are some creative CRV car camping setups on youtube. some people have removed one or both of the rear seats or build sleeping platforms.
The best situation for me at ~6'3" is in the manual it states the front seats can lay all the way down flat if the headrests are removed. This seems to work best as your stuff remains in the back under the cargo lid and you can get up and go easy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts