Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering getting a roof top cargo box. I really like the look of the Thule:

595110_sized_900x600_rev_1.jpg

And there is a youtube video on this specific box on a 5th gen CR-V. Because it is gloss black it will even match my car which is black. However, it is incredibly expensive compared to the OEM Honda one:

Thule square cross bars: $419.85 (this is their cheapest options, they have more expensive bars)
Thule Thule Motion XT L Box: $679.95
TOTAL: $1,099.80

By comparison, Honda's system:

OEM roof box: 348.60
OEM cross bars: $174.30
TOTAL: $522.90

They are of course two completely different products in terms of style, size, etc., but because of the price difference I wanted to find out if anyone here has had experiences with the OEM box. Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I bought the Honda cross bars and the Thule Motion XTL roof cargo box. I have only used it once last year for a trip it it worked well. I looked at buying a used Thule, but they were almost as expensive as new.

What I liked about the Thule was that the locks on the underside are adjustable so you can shift the box forward or back before locking into place. This way, you can set it so the tailgate can open freely. I have heard that the Yakima can't do this.

The locks on the Thule are better than the Yakima. I don't means locks to keep thieves out, I was worried about it coming unlocked while the car in motion. everything seemed better on the Thule. I wished it cost less, but you get what you paid for, and it will last 10+ years.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts