Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all - new to the forum - just bought a black edition 2020 crv :)) I love this vehicle but I didn't count on doing the cross canada road trip we hope to do once borders open up. We are hoping to either use a rooftop tent or sleep in the back.
I have just started looking into the rooftop tent and ask you if you know the CRV can handle it? Or if you have had any experiences with rooftop tents - let me know good or bad. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,404 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
jazzy girl,
This is not specific to Honda vehicles, but more generally to the idea of camping in/on a vehicle. You are asking about a rooftop tent. Of course, only you know what is the best camping setup for you. I never used a rooftop tent, but I did have a camper van at one point. I thought it would be very convenient for travel. As it turned out, my experience was that it was a lot less convenient than I expected. The primary inconvenience was that, if I set up the van for camping and afterwards wanted to drive somewhere (view local sights or get groceries), then I had to take down the camping setup in order to drive the van and set it back up on my return. By contrast, if I setup a ground tent at a campsite, then my vehicle is available to drive for groceries. So, based on my experience, I would think hard before camping out of a vehicle again. I hope this perspective is helpful and that you find an alternative that works for you. e_identity

·
Registered
506 Posts
I would still rather have a separate tent.
Easier to drive somewhere
Some of our Provincial and National parks have great tent camping areas. You could be relegated to the RV section which is noisier and not nearly as natural if you want to sleep in, on or attached to your car. Several tenting sites are walk in.
If there are 2 of you, you would exceed the capacity of the roof racks.
Mountain Equipment Coop has some great and quality tents..if for 2 persons get a 3 person tent, for one person get a 2 person tent.
Don’t worry about bears if in a regular Canadian campground if this is why you want to sleep up high, they are part of the experience and won’t bother you so long as you don’t have food in your tent :)
Sleeping in the back could work but only if you travel Very light...where would you put all your stuff? I guess you could store in a mini tent beside the car?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts