Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
has anyone seen this before it's like the ECU died or something. the check engine and fuel light are blinking. Seems like its not measuring temp and fuel tank. see video
2nd try on link...

:-(

thanks in advance

-j

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,008 Posts
Link doesn't work.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,008 Posts
Engine running EXTREMELY rough. Is it warmed up at the time of the video? Has the battery been exhibiting signs of weakness (slow cranking)? How old is the battery?

If you have an OBDII scan tool, get the codes. If you can't drive it like that, try disconnecting the battery ground cable to reset the ECU.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Engine running EXTREMELY rough. Is it warmed up at the time of the video? Has the battery been exhibiting signs of weakness (slow cranking)? How old is the battery?

If you have an OBDII scan tool, get the codes. If you can't drive it like that, try disconnecting the battery ground cable to reset the ECU.
thats a cold start but its well beyond a cold engine - it was 50-60 degrees. the battery is about a year or so old. car doesnt get used that frequently. Used it a few days earlier with no issues. Ordered an OBD2 and should have it in hand monday. Disconnected the battery yesterday no change. maybe a fuse that controls the ECU or something like that blew because so many things are effected simultaneously, If you notice both the temp and fuel gauges show nothing and of course all the flashing of every light including the low fuel light and the tank is pretty much full. i was hoping that someone had seen this before.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,008 Posts
On newer Vs, low voltage (or a disconnected battery) can cause many lights to come on for a few miles. They go off after a few minutes/miles/km of driving.

I asked about a cold engine start (not ambient) because the engine runs rich, in 'open loop' at first. If you only run it a minute (fast idle) without warming it up all the way, the plugs could foul and cause rough running until it runs for another 5 minutes at normal road speeds. (Yes, I know that the temp gauge isn't reading, LOL)

If a fuse to the ECU was blown, I don't think the engine would run. But, lets see what codes show up when you get the reader. :unsure:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@Carbuff2 thanks for the help! Diagnostic report attached. The misfire were there before this happened so im not sure that gives us much to go by. I'm guessing i have mouse or something. My dog is extremely interested in sniffing under the car. Quite possibly something might be chewing on my wiring harness or something. thanks again!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,068 Posts
Aargh! Let us know what you find!

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,008 Posts
LOTS 'o misfires. :eek:

Yes, looking for mouse damage would be warranted. Remove the top engine cover (if fitted) and look for evidence.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOTS 'o misfires. :eek:

Yes, looking for mouse damage would be warranted. Remove the top engine cover (if fitted) and look for evidence.
Bingo! Was that sesame street - two of these things are not like the other...

good call on lifting the cover! Thanks man!

Do i have to pull the rail out to get to those and then does it make sense to replace everything?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,008 Posts
That 'rail' is a wire holder. It MIGHT break (brittle plastic) when you pry open the release tabs.

If the other end of the harness is reasonably accessible, I'd see if a junkyard can provide a replacement.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK So i found a set of connectors with 6" pigtails. . Took a bit of effort to figure out the polarity to match the wires as the varmint ate the wires so much the color wasn't exposed had to use a Dremel to hack off enough of the old connector to expose the color of the wire to ensure i wired it right. Used a set of heat shrink but connectors and then electrical tape and tucked it back into the plastic wire troth. Car runs now. I still have a problem tho. The low fuel light flashes still as it did in the video and fuel gauge has no bars. its unable to show range or DTE. The OBD shows no codes and it cant detect any fuel either. I've tried pulling the battery leads again. Also tried pulling the fuel pump fuse and putting the car into start and then replacing the fuse. no change. I even tried taking the car for a highway drive to maybe a get a little more charge in the battery. 😩

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
If they chewed the injector wiring, chances are they might have chewed another harness elsewhere. They must like injector wires since that was the only harness they chewed on in my Civic last year! Some might not have been chewed all the way through, but punctured enough to break the strands of wire.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If they chewed the injector wiring, chances are they might have chewed another harness elsewhere. They must like injector wires since that was the only harness they chewed on in my Civic last year! Some might not have been chewed all the way through, but punctured enough to break the strands of wire.
thx I'm just not sure where to look at this point i pulled the air box and battery and nothing was visible. Was hoping not to have to jack the car up and put it on stands to look from underneath. might be my only option. not sure there's anything to see from underneath anyway but what else do i have?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
There are harnesses tucked all around the engine so you may have to get underneath and locate them for inspection. When I tore down our 2004 Civic, I probably disconnected at least a dozen connectors, many of them connected to the intake manifold. I would also check any wiring near the fuel tank, canister or evap system.

There are too many tests to cover without having access to a service manual--there are ways to check the wiring at the fuel pump/sender, as well as processes to test the gauge control module using a self-diagnostic function. A Bishko CD on eBay would have the entire manual in PDF format. At least you found the chewed harnesses, but it's better to get the manual and follow their procedures rather than starting to throw money at parts that may or may not fix it, and wasting hours trying to guess at the problem.

Reactions: Carbuff2

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Finally put the car on stands and started looking around. Figured I’d replace the rotors and pads while I have it up on stands. I noticed one other thing in troubleshooting this fuel gauge light. The AC won’t come on the air blows. I recently had the compressor replaces out so I don’t think it’s that. Probably unrelated but figured I’d mention.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bingo! Was that sesame street - two of these things are not like the other...

good call on lifting the cover! Thanks man!

Do i have to pull the rail out to get to those and then does it make sense to replace everything? View attachment 138680
I think going to a junk heard and pull the exact wire harness and replace it would’ve a good idea.
I got a front bumper same color and in better condition from a salvage yard

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Apparently field mice love Honda wires. I managed splice in some wires and problem solved.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts