Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 CRV, EX and it has some rough idling issues I would call them. it has died on me once on the road, when coming to a stop. If I have it in park and rev it up to and past 3k rpm then let it idle down, it will die and doesn’t want to start again without some help from the gas pedal. I pulled a spark plug and it seemed fine, not too dirty and not burnt. Help please. This is the same car that is using oil.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,618 Posts
First attempt: Clean the throttle body and butterfly. Use intake cleaner on a rag to wipe the bores and the butterfly edges...do not spray. (Make sure you don't forget to re-connect all the sensors on the 90 degree rubber intake hose, don't ask me why I mention this, OK?)

Second attempt: Adjust valve lash. (How many miles since it has been done?)

Post back with results please!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First attempt: Clean the throttle body and butterfly. Use intake cleaner on a rag to wipe the bores and the butterfly edges...do not spray. (Make sure you don't forget to re-connect all the sensors on the 90 degree rubber intake hose, don't ask me why I mention this, OK?)

Second attempt: Adjust valve lash. (How many miles since it has been done?)

Post back with results please!
I am working on the throttle body now, doesn’t seem horrible. Will do what you said, The inside of the manifold is covered in oil. As well as the throat of the intake box

·
Everything in Moderation
7,618 Posts
Only takes one spot of crud on the butterfly to affect idle quality.

Thanks for posting back! 😊

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I am working on the throttle body now, doesn’t seem horrible. Will do what you said, The inside of the manifold is covered in oil. As well as the throat of the intake box
If by "intake box" you mean the enclosure for the air filter than the only way oil can find it's way there is via the air breather tube. Which goes between the valve cover and the clean air intake. The only way this can happen is a plugged PCV valve or the hose from the PCV valve to the intake manifold is clogged. If oil is getting into the intake then it can mess up the mass air flow sensor.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
I agree with Traylaw and I would sure clean or change the PCV valve. Pretty low cost and easy to do.
Sticky or broken piston rings can cause blowby, but so can a clogged PCV valve. With the engine hot and running, remove the oil filler cap and see if you get a lot of blowby smoke coming out.
Check for timing chain or sprocket wear which can really affect the timing.
Adjust the valve lash.
Do a compression test to check for leaky valves, stuck piston rings , etc
Buffalo4

1 - 6 of 6 Posts