Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2017 CR-V EX-L w/ NAV
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, where to begin? Took car in for oil/filter change and tire rotation. Still had 20% left but the timing was better for me now. No problems on those items but here's the other issues.
  • Maint. minder was showing code to change the brake fluid. Looked in manual and it says every 30k. Had it done 6/2019 and only has 20k since then. Decided to pass until next service
  • Service advisor wanted to change the transmission fluid. I looked in the manual and unless it gives you a code for it, only says every 25k if driven under harsh conditions or used for towing. Declined.
  • Wanted to do a fuel/air induction cleaning. Looked like the old carbon build up scam that many dlrs. try to pull on you. Said it was required maint. and if something happened my ext. warr. would not cover. Declined.
  • Asked to have the e-brake checked. Making a louder noise than usual when setting. Was told I need a new caliper but was on backorder and didn't know when it might come in. Since it would be covered by Honda Care would have to be an OEM part unless they approved a remanf. one but even that was unavailable. Will call me when comes in.
  • Showed him video of head unit going wonky and getting stuck. Wanted TSB 19-066 applied. After getting back from service they said it had already been done. Must have done it sometime and not notated on billing receipt. Don't know if it helped or not but I had to reapply all my radio settings and stations afterwards.
  • Here's the kicker. Wanted to charge me for the TSB and brake caliper jobs ( when it comes in), until I told him I had Honda Care. I guess since I hadn't used it, it wasn't in the system. Those two items alone will pay for the Honda Care warr.
  • Lastly, my Michelin tires are down to 3/32 on all four w/ only 35k on them. Will see what Michelin offers to do on pro rate. Already had a set of these replaced on wife's previous RAV4 at 50% cost to me. Unless Michelin offers something better will just forget it and go w/ Continental Crosscontact LX25. I'm done w/ Michelin.

All this took about 2.75 hrs with an appt. Thoughts?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,039 Posts
Good job on declining the things that were not necessary, at this time.

·
Registered
2017 EX
39 Posts
The brake fluid should be changed every 3 years regardless of miles driven.
I drained my transmission at 53000 when the MM came on. I think its a good idea to do it earlier vs later IMO.
It sounds like this dealer might be a bit questionable. Maybe find another?

·
Registered
2017 CR-V EX-L w/ NAV
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wish I could. Next closest is 55 min. away and I'm not sure they are any better. I sure miss dealing w/ Acura. Best customer service I've ever had.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
6,956 Posts
The brake fluid should be changed every 3 years regardless of miles driven.
I drained my transmission at 53000 when the MM came on. I think its a good idea to do it earlier vs later IMO.
It sounds like this dealer might be a bit questionable. Maybe find another?
I agree with you regarding brake fluid change. It is not miles based, it is time based, AND it is tracked and flagged by the MM.

I don't think the dealer is questionable, here. They are simply recommending services which in some cases are early as far as the MM is concerned. See.. the thing is.. any owner who trusts their MM will follow the MM, not any particular dealers "recommendations", and there is no harm in a dealership offering or recommending services as long as they are not counter to Honda guidance on service for gen5 CRVs. And if they try to pressure you, report them to Honda Corporate... because that is inconsistent with Honda customer relations process.

I have a very trusted and reputable dealer we use for Honda service. They too will make recommendations beyond what the MM says, but I simply decline their recommendations if they are not supported by the MM readout. The exception would be if they bring an actual issue to my attention during a normal A or B service, and even then they have to convince me the issue raised is real and needs immediate attention. An example of an exception recommendation would be they find the battery weak during testing, or find abnormal treadwear on one or more tires (both things that I personally keep a close eye on and don't need dealer intervention to protect me on this).

My wife took her Accord in recently, and they recommended some additional services, but I had already coached her about this (to save her calling me when the recommendations rolled out of the service reps mouth). The staff in the service center (including the Service Manager) all heard her push back to the service rep.. with ... "no thank you. My Accord Maintenance Minder says I need an A2 service, and that is all I am here for today. Please feel free to document your recommendations in my paperwork and I will give them to my husband to review. If he feels any of these recommendations are required, we will bring it back for service". She said they literally dropped their jaws and the service rep said.. "yes mam, will do". :p

I am of the opinion that with so many owners, even here on this very forum, dismissing the MM and insisting that they know best what needs service when.. they actually are incentivizing dealers to push "recommendations".

Tip to owners: recommendations are just that. They are not requirements, unless your MM flags them, or they are one of the few service events where the MM does not track the interval. Know your CRV and know your MM and how it functions and what codes it reports and typically when.. and trust your MM. Honda put design effort into a very robust MM system for a reason... to remove the haggle and doubt for owners about service.. required or recommended.

·
Super Moderator
6,956 Posts
Wish I could. Next closest is 55 min. away and I'm not sure they are any better. I sure miss dealing w/ Acura. Best customer service I've ever had.
No need to change dealers, unless said dealer is doing shoddy work.

Dealerships ARE struggling due to the pandemic and parts shortages disrupting normal business, and are independent businesses with a contract agreement with Honda to sell and service Hondas. So I fully expect they may push more recommendations for service, many of which are simply earlier than the MM flags.

Learn your CRV, learn your MM, and know the difference between what Honda schedules for service on your vehicle VS what any dealer may recommend in addition to any active MM codes.

·
Registered
2017 CR-V EX-L w/ NAV
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's why I was surprised that the MM kicked a brake fluid change code. My 3 yrs won't be until 6/22.

·
Registered
21 CRV EX-L FWD
56 Posts
I still don't understand why brake fluid has to be changed every 3 years. Can someone explain it too me. Having worked in the automobile business on domestic vehicles i find this odd.

·
Registered
2020 Touring Hybrid
812 Posts
I still don't understand why brake fluid has to be changed every 3 years. Can someone explain it too me. Having worked in the automobile business on domestic vehicles i find this odd.
Google can explain

·
Super Moderator
6,956 Posts
Brake fluid is somewhat hygroscopic and with all the temperature cycling the brake system sees.. some moisture will eventually seep into the braking fluid and the brake fluid will suck it up and distribute it in the brake lines, which then results in corrosion of your internal brake parts if it is left to continue for years.

Different manufactures specify different brake fluids and different change intervals, like just about everything else that needs routine service in a motor vehicle. In Honda's case... they stipulate 3 year intervals to replace the fluid.

Given brakes are a critical safety system in a motor vehicle... delaying service of any kind is essentially putting yourself and your passengers at risk... so this is one service I would never cut corners on or ignore.

·
Super Moderator
6,956 Posts
That's why I was surprised that the MM kicked a brake fluid change code. My 3 yrs won't be until 6/22.
So.. what was the manufacturing date of your vehicle?

I ask because the 3 years begins when they activate the brake system at the factories. In addition, the MM will try to align a brake fluid change to the next predicted A or B service, and in my experience it will err on the short side of 3 years not the the long side.

My CRV ended up with a MM trigger at 2 years 9 months. My wifes Accord was 2 years and 7 months if I recall correctly. That was the correct call too because neither vehicle would be due for it's next A or B service for a year given the low annual miles we drive these days.

Now.. you could defer until a 3 year calendar event... but why bother to take the vehicle in for service just for that, to eek out a few months on the fluid change? OR.. if you are a do it youselfer, then you definitely can defer until the 3 year mark

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,495 Posts
Domestic car manufactures have been slow to recommend replacing the brake fluid, but they are changing. As of 2020 Ford requires fluid change every 3 years on all new models. GM is pretty much the only hold out where they don't require it on all models yet but they will. All the brake ABS/VSA manufactures such as Bosch and Denso require it.

·
Registered
2017 CR-V EX-L w/ NAV
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Build date is 12/2016. I thought it would have reset when the first brake fluid change was done 6/2019?

·
Super Moderator
6,956 Posts
Build date is 12/2016. I thought it would have reset when the first brake fluid change was done 6/2019?
Unless the service tech failed to reset the MM for that service code, it should. I always check the MM right after service to insure the codes for service performed were cleared, and I also check and see what predictions the MM has for the next A or B service visit.. because as soon as you reset codes on the Gen5s.... the MM immediately shows what it predicts the next service requirements will be when the oil life hits 15% and the vehicle begins to nag you via the instrument panel each time you start.

When does your MM predict your next A or B service will be? Because it will try to align other service with an A or a B service.

·
Registered
2017 CR-V EX-L w/ NAV
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I checked it the other day when I left the dlr. and it was showing 100% oil life. Can't remember what letter code it showed.

·
Super Moderator
6,956 Posts
I checked it the other day when I left the dlr. and it was showing 100% oil life. Can't remember what letter code it showed.
Since they reset the oil code, I am almost positive they reset any other codes too. So you should be good.

It just sounds like the MM is synced for an earlier than 3 year fluid change, from your description. If your own calculations suggest you will not reach 3 years on the next oil change but rather the one after that.... I would think you could defer the brake fluid for one oil change cycle if you wanted. It's not like a few months after 3 years the brake fluid turns to jelly or something, but it will continue to degrade so it will need changing as close to 3 years as you can dial in.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Because you can't say no to recommendations that are in addition to Honda scheduled service??
They should not be recommending services that are not needed. If they are going to suggest unneeded maintenance, can they be trusted to recommend to not overdo it when it comes time to make repairs?

I see no reason to give business to a place with service advisors that don't have my best interests in mind.

·
Super Moderator
6,956 Posts
They should not be recommending services that are not needed. If they are going to suggest unneeded maintenance, can they be trusted to recommend to not overdo it when it comes time to make repairs?

I see no reason to give business to a place with service advisors that don't have my best interests in mind.
I understand your perspective here. And in a perfect world that is the way things would be. You are assuming that a business recommending other services is somehow not having the best interests of the customer in mind. You can't determine that simply from a business recommending additional service to consider, only that the service is not required at that time.

My dealer always recommends a wheel alignment at three years, if there is no record of having one recently. When I discussed this with them as to why, they responded that it is one of the most ignored services by customers, yet customers love to complain when their tires wear unevenly and they don't get the miles they expect from them ... and STILL refuse a wheel alignment. In my case, since I check, monitor, and maintain my tires as well as driving and handling of my vehicles, I know when I need a wheel alignment and I explain that to them and they agree with my approach. But they find a lot of owners do not... and so they make the recommendation on 3 year intervals.

There are a lot of uninformed owners, who also loathe maintaining their vehicles... and actually need a service provider, dealer or independent, advising them on regular service and maintenance. You know.. the guy who has an 8 year old CRV and has never had the brake fluid serviced, or tires rotated, etc. etc.

Thing is, the core issue here is not dealers offering services, it is uninformed owners accepting them without actually knowing what is needed for their vehicle and when vs what is suggested and optional, or simply earlier than required.

And I am sure some owners simply get stressed when they go in for routine service and then see several other recommended services from a dealer that results in a higher repair bill than they planned. If they read their owners manual well and understood the MM and the small number of non-MM service recommendations that Honda does document... then dealers offering other services would not stress them or their pocket book as they would simply decline based on being an informed consumer.

At the end of the day... caveat emptor very much applies to consumers... whether they like it or not. :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts