Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is a lot of misinformation in this thread I would like to clear up. I'm a service advisor at a Honda dealership and my job is to recommend what the technician is telling me and based on mileage intervals per MM and Honda's own guidelines. With that being said, it's totally up to the customer on how they want to maintain their own vehicle. I'm not a pushy advisor nor do I ever try to recommend something that isn't needed. I would say I'm pretty knowledgeable on Honda's and not to mention I'm a big car nut and have owned many different brands but I've owned more Honda's than anything (7 total).

Per my dealership and Honda's recommendations, I recommend doing the two filters (cabin and engine) and the transmission fluid every 30k miles. I know the CVT service is a controversial subject on the Honda forums around the web but as and advisor and someone who maintains their car per the guidelines of the manufacturer I believe you should at least do your fluid before the 45k-50k mile mark. As an example, I previously owned a 2019 Accord Sport 1.5T with a CVT. At the 20k mile mark I decided to go ahead and do a drain and fill on the fluid as I tend to drive my cars a little harder than most (but not what I would consider "extreme driving conditions per manual"). The fluid color is amber from the factory new but at 20k miles my fluid was already pretty dark. My boss and all the technicians were joking me calling me OCD and ridiculous but they were surprised as I was when I saw the condition of the fluid. I'm sure many of you do not drive your cars as hard as I but I noticed a difference instantly once I drove the car afterwards.

As the owner of a new 2021 EX-L CR-V I will most likely change my fluid at 20k again just as a precaution and for my own peace of mind (no matter how crazy it may be). I will say the CR-V's after 2018 have been very good cars for us other than the crap Hankook tires and some fuel injectors here and there. The old HondaLink system is junk compared to my Accord's but I love my CR-V and the Honda brand as a whole. I think they make the nicest mainstream cars and SUV's you can buy.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Thing is, the core issue here is not dealers offering services, it is uninformed owners accepting them without actually knowing what is needed for their vehicle and when vs what is suggested and optional, or simply earlier than required.
This dealer tried to charge for a bogus induction service, and then lied by saying it was required to maintain the extended warranty. I'd say that the "core issue" is that many dealers keep trying this bleep!, not that some consumers fall for it. I believe that's called "victim blaming."

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,593 Posts
This dealer tried to charge for a bogus induction service, and then lied by saying it was required to maintain the extended warranty. I'd say that the "core issue" is that many dealers keep trying this bleep!, not that some consumers fall for it. I believe that's called "victim blaming."
As we have often noted in discussions.. there are good dealers and bad dealers. And anyone can find an anecdote to present as a giant tragedy, but that does not make it wide spread. I disagree that more of them are bad as opposed to good. Besides, an informed customer would not fall for what you describe above.

Once again, caveat emptor... it is on the consumer to pick a reputable service provider and to know required from recommended in the context of Honda requirements and warranty requirements. Blaming dealers broadly for victimizing customers is an inaccurate generalization, in my view.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Once again, caveat emptor... it is on the consumer to pick a reputable service provider and to know required from recommended in the context of Honda requirements and warranty requirements. Blaming dealers broadly for victimizing customers is an inaccurate generalization, in my view.
If I'm going to choose between blaming dealers for this sorry state of affairs, and blaming customers, I'm sure as heck not going to choose to blame the customer! "The victim should have known better!" is not, in any way, a defense for predatory behavior. You are saying that consumers shouldn't trust the "service advisors" because they might be lying when recommending services consumers don't need, but simultaneously somehow know when that very-same service advisor *isn't" lying, and make sure to accept services they do need? This would require all consumers to somehow have the same knowledge of a good auto service advisor; that is not even remotely a realistic standard.

Really, this is on OEM's for not cracking down on dealers that have been pulling these stunts for decades; this is not exactly an isolated incident. (And, of course, it's the fault of the dealers themselves that attempt to rip consumers off.) Perhaps consumers would be more likely to do things like get an alignment when they really needed one if the profession had shown itself to be trustoworthy.

Fixing this problem is totally within the control of OEM's (it can be written into their franchise agreements), but they choose not to.

·
Registered
2022 Honda CRV EX-L
184 Posts
Because you can't say no to recommendations that are in addition to Honda scheduled service??
Because over the last 50 years of car ownership, I have seen time I time again the dealers effort to upsell beyond required maintenance, or even to just do a wall job on your vehicle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have never changed the brake fluid in the fifty years I have owned cars. I do all my own maintenance. I had a Volvo that was 21 years old with 270K miles on it and the brakes worked fine to the day I gave it away.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I agree with you regarding brake fluid change. It is not miles based, it is time based, AND it is tracked and flagged by the MM.

I don't think the dealer is questionable, here. They are simply recommending services which in some cases are early as far as the MM is concerned. See.. the thing is.. any owner who trusts their MM will follow the MM, not any particular dealers "recommendations", and there is no harm in a dealership offering or recommending services as long as they are not counter to Honda guidance on service for gen5 CRVs. And if they try to pressure you, report them to Honda Corporate... because that is inconsistent with Honda customer relations process.

I have a very trusted and reputable dealer we use for Honda service. They too will make recommendations beyond what the MM says, but I simply decline their recommendations if they are not supported by the MM readout. The exception would be if they bring an actual issue to my attention during a normal A or B service, and even then they have to convince me the issue raised is real and needs immediate attention. An example of an exception recommendation would be they find the battery weak during testing, or find abnormal treadwear on one or more tires (both things that I personally keep a close eye on and don't need dealer intervention to protect me on this).

My wife took her Accord in recently, and they recommended some additional services, but I had already coached her about this (to save her calling me when the recommendations rolled out of the service reps mouth). The staff in the service center (including the Service Manager) all heard her push back to the service rep.. with ... "no thank you. My Accord Maintenance Minder says I need an A2 service, and that is all I am here for today. Please feel free to document your recommendations in my paperwork and I will give them to my husband to review. If he feels any of these recommendations are required, we will bring it back for service". She said they literally dropped their jaws and the service rep said.. "yes mam, will do". :p

I am of the opinion that with so many owners, even here on this very forum, dismissing the MM and insisting that they know best what needs service when.. they actually are incentivizing dealers to push "recommendations".

Tip to owners: recommendations are just that. They are not requirements, unless your MM flags them, or they are one of the few service events where the MM does not track the interval. Know your CRV and know your MM and how it functions and what codes it reports and typically when.. and trust your MM. Honda put design effort into a very robust MM system for a reason... to remove the haggle and doubt for owners about service.. required or recommended.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Wow, where to begin? Took car in for oil/filter change and tire rotation. Still had 20% left but the timing was better for me now. No problems on those items but here's the other issues.
  • Maint. minder was showing code to change the brake fluid. Looked in manual and it says every 30k. Had it done 6/2019 and only has 20k since then. Decided to pass until next service
  • Service advisor wanted to change the transmission fluid. I looked in the manual and unless it gives you a code for it, only says every 25k if driven under harsh conditions or used for towing. Declined.
  • Wanted to do a fuel/air induction cleaning. Looked like the old carbon build up scam that many dlrs. try to pull on you. Said it was required maint. and if something happened my ext. warr. would not cover. Declined.
  • Asked to have the e-brake checked. Making a louder noise than usual when setting. Was told I need a new caliper but was on backorder and didn't know when it might come in. Since it would be covered by Honda Care would have to be an OEM part unless they approved a remanf. one but even that was unavailable. Will call me when comes in.
  • Showed him video of head unit going wonky and getting stuck. Wanted TSB 19-066 applied. After getting back from service they said it had already been done. Must have done it sometime and not notated on billing receipt. Don't know if it helped or not but I had to reapply all my radio settings and stations afterwards.
  • Here's the kicker. Wanted to charge me for the TSB and brake caliper jobs ( when it comes in), until I told him I had Honda Care. I guess since I hadn't used it, it wasn't in the system. Those two items alone will pay for the Honda Care warr.
  • Lastly, my Michelin tires are down to 3/32 on all four w/ only 35k on them. Will see what Michelin offers to do on pro rate. Already had a set of these replaced on wife's previous RAV4 at 50% cost to me. Unless Michelin offers something better will just forget it and go w/ Continental Crosscontact LX25. I'm done w/ Michelin.

All this took about 2.75 hrs with an appt. Thoughts?

Thanks
Find a shop or dealership that is willing to work with you. The owner sets the policy, the service manager has to implement it, & the techs are suppose to fix and sell. You cannot hope to hold every dealerships' feet to the fire. Some are just going to do what they can get away with. Those are the ones who put money before customer service. That is why you don't see too many cars that are 5 plus years old at the dealerships (after the warranty is long gone). They hire service advisors for a reason. It's all about making money for some. If they do not listen to reason (you seem to be very knowledgeable about cars) then find another dealership or shop of the same mindset. F.Y.I. - doesn't hurt to leave a nice tip when you get the nickel & dime items done once in awhile. They don't make a lot off of oil changes & inspections. The tip will hopefully encourage them not to "find something" that really doesn't have to be done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow, where to begin? Took car in for oil/filter change and tire rotation. Still had 20% left but the timing was better for me now. No problems on those items but here's the other issues.
  • Maint. minder was showing code to change the brake fluid. Looked in manual and it says every 30k. Had it done 6/2019 and only has 20k since then. Decided to pass until next service
  • Service advisor wanted to change the transmission fluid. I looked in the manual and unless it gives you a code for it, only says every 25k if driven under harsh conditions or used for towing. Declined.
  • Wanted to do a fuel/air induction cleaning. Looked like the old carbon build up scam that many dlrs. try to pull on you. Said it was required maint. and if something happened my ext. warr. would not cover. Declined.
  • Asked to have the e-brake checked. Making a louder noise than usual when setting. Was told I need a new caliper but was on backorder and didn't know when it might come in. Since it would be covered by Honda Care would have to be an OEM part unless they approved a remanf. one but even that was unavailable. Will call me when comes in.
  • Showed him video of head unit going wonky and getting stuck. Wanted TSB 19-066 applied. After getting back from service they said it had already been done. Must have done it sometime and not notated on billing receipt. Don't know if it helped or not but I had to reapply all my radio settings and stations afterwards.
  • Here's the kicker. Wanted to charge me for the TSB and brake caliper jobs ( when it comes in), until I told him I had Honda Care. I guess since I hadn't used it, it wasn't in the system. Those two items alone will pay for the Honda Care warr.
  • Lastly, my Michelin tires are down to 3/32 on all four w/ only 35k on them. Will see what Michelin offers to do on pro rate. Already had a set of these replaced on wife's previous RAV4 at 50% cost to me. Unless Michelin offers something better will just forget it and go w/ Continental Crosscontact LX25. I'm done w/ Michelin.

All this took about 2.75 hrs with an appt. Thoughts?

Thanks
My MM for brake fluid kicked off about 3 years after build date. (2018 CRV). 23 k. Did it my self. First time I have ever seen green fluid on last wheel. Other thread indicated copper related. Have seen rusty color 20 years ago. Just like any other maintenance issue, pay for the fluid now, or pay for the parts later.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,192 Posts
have never changed the brake fluid in the fifty years I have owned cars.
:oops:

Hardly something to boast about. Fluids age and need replenishing. But, to each their own and all that.

Reactions: Traylaw

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wish I could. Next closest is 55 min. away and I'm not sure they are any better. I sure miss dealing w/ Acura. Best customer service I've ever had.
I can concur with you on the service received from Acura. I currently own my second Acura, a 2019 MDX (the first being an RDX). The service received from my Acura dealer has been nothing but outstanding. However, prior to owning my Acura's, I had owned a Honda which was serviced through the Honda dealership owned by the same folks. Excellent service as well at the Honda dealership. They are just as obsessed as the Acura folks with providing the best service possible for their customers. Just my 2¢ worth!

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have never changed the brake fluid in the fifty years I have owned cars. I do all my own maintenance. I had a Volvo that was 21 years old with 270K miles on it and the brakes worked fine to the day I gave it away.
Just because you didn't do it doesn't mean it shouldn't have been done.
Brake fluid is hygroscopic so moisture collects in the system.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agree with you regarding brake fluid change. It is not miles based, it is time based, AND it is tracked and flagged by the MM.

I don't think the dealer is questionable, here. They are simply recommending services which in some cases are early as far as the MM is concerned. See.. the thing is.. any owner who trusts their MM will follow the MM, not any particular dealers "recommendations", and there is no harm in a dealership offering or recommending services as long as they are not counter to Honda guidance on service for gen5 CRVs. And if they try to pressure you, report them to Honda Corporate... because that is inconsistent with Honda customer relations process.

I have a very trusted and reputable dealer we use for Honda service. They too will make recommendations beyond what the MM says, but I simply decline their recommendations if they are not supported by the MM readout. The exception would be if they bring an actual issue to my attention during a normal A or B service, and even then they have to convince me the issue raised is real and needs immediate attention. An example of an exception recommendation would be they find the battery weak during testing, or find abnormal treadwear on one or more tires (both things that I personally keep a close eye on and don't need dealer intervention to protect me on this).

My wife took her Accord in recently, and they recommended some additional services, but I had already coached her about this (to save her calling me when the recommendations rolled out of the service reps mouth). The staff in the service center (including the Service Manager) all heard her push back to the service rep.. with ... "no thank you. My Accord Maintenance Minder says I need an A2 service, and that is all I am here for today. Please feel free to document your recommendations in my paperwork and I will give them to my husband to review. If he feels any of these recommendations are required, we will bring it back for service". She said they literally dropped their jaws and the service rep said.. "yes mam, will do". :p

I am of the opinion that with so many owners, even here on this very forum, dismissing the MM and insisting that they know best what needs service when.. they actually are incentivizing dealers to push "recommendations".

Tip to owners: recommendations are just that. They are not requirements, unless your MM flags them, or they are one of the few service events where the MM does not track the interval. Know your CRV and know your MM and how it functions and what codes it reports and typically when.. and trust your MM. Honda put design effort into a very robust MM system for a reason... to remove the haggle and doubt for owners about service.. required or recommended.
Re brake fluid changes. Irrespective of where you live or how far you travel daily. Change the brake fluid at a maximum of 18months. Brake fluid absorbers water and that makes things in you brake system rust.

·
Registered
2020 CRV EX FWD
23 Posts
I wouldn't give up on Michelin yet. I've used M on 4-wheel and 2-wheel vehicles for years, successfully, latest being the M Harmony on my Sienna van, 61K miles before replacement required. My 2¢:
1) Do you check air pressure monthly? (If not, a recurring event on your calendar may help.)
2) Do you rotate tires every 5K miles? (If not, add that reminder to the air pressure reminder on your calendar.)
3) Compare your driving habits to that of a friend who gets the expected mileage from their tires, even if they don't use Michelins. (CRV Eco mode really helps here, only turned off when entering the Interstate or climbing a STEEP hill in low gear.)
4) How's your record-keeping? (a simple google spreadsheet has worked great for me for years, keeping track of events for vehicles, tools, even a "loaner" tab on the sheet where I track who has borrowed my stuff. No confidential info, tho, since it IS google!)

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,593 Posts
Re brake fluid changes. Irrespective of where you live or how far you travel daily. Change the brake fluid at a maximum of 18months. Brake fluid absorbers water and that makes things in you brake system rust.
I'll follow Honda recommendations, which is replace every 36 months, since Honda is always conservative about this sort of thing because they know some owners will push it to the limit and then some.

In very hot and humid climates, it may be prudent to change the brake fluid more often as you suggest.

Since the MM monitors time now and will report a scheduled need for brake fluid service, and it will try to align that to the next A or B oil service, actual change interval may be a bit shorter... by as much as 6 months from what I have seen.

·
Registered
2017 CR-V EX-L w/ NAV
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Just ordered Conti Contacts LX from my dlr. He price matched Tire Rack price. Unfortunately no Discount Tire around here. Putting them on next Wed. Yes, I did keep eye on tire pressure w/ frequent cks. Rotated on every oil change. Have 37 k on them now, checked depth yesterday and down to 3/32 all around. No cupping or uneven wear, just bad batch of tires. Never owned Continental before so we'll give them a shot.

·
Registered
2017 CR-V EX-L w/ NAV
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Had my Conti Contacts installed yesterday. Dlr price matched Tire Rack and they had a buy three get one free promo. Tires alone w/o install fees was $519. Not bad, other problems however, see additional thread re: dlr service.

·
Registered
5 Gen: EX 1.5T
265 Posts
Talking of changing the brake fluid. Years ago and I do mean years ago when I first got my first car, I did a few things as you do. One being checking all fluids. When I looked into changing the brake fluid I soon realised that more work was needed. I ended taking out the master brake cylinder, stripping and replacing the seals and filling with new fluid. I did this when I saw jelly below the top of the brake fluid. Little lumps had formed in the master cylinder. It was a eye opener and it’s been 3 yrs fluid change from then on. You can’t mess with safety when driving a ton and a half car.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts