Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to apologize as my terminology may not be correct. Also, I have an automatic transmission fyi

In my instrument cluster, my RPM Gauge was not moving at all, the needle would sit at 1000 RPMs the whole time driving. It would seem like it wants to move but never would, would just kinda giggle around but never made it past 1000 RPMs. I was changing light bulbs in the cluster today and moved the RPM needle around a bit, it seemed to move but definitely felt like it had some tension around it. I tried removing the white panel that the bulbs are attached to but couldn't easily remove it plus I didn't want to break it... after attaching the green cable back onto the instrument cluster the RPM needle did what I suspect it is suppose to do but well didn't seem to stop at the right place, given the car was off. I then started the car and rev'd the engine a bit (see pic, I tried uploading a video...) and well it seemed to just do its own thing. I hope the images help

The car over all is running well, just took it in for an inspection. It seems to have a oil leak on the passenger side but nothing is wrong with the engine. Since I do have an Automatic transmission I am not super concerned about this but it would be nice to get it working.

the first one the car is on, the second the key is in the ignition but nothing is on
Vehicle Car Gauge Speedometer Auto part
Speedometer Vehicle Gauge Car Auto part

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,154 Posts
Not a common issue...but from the description it seems as if there is a mechanical bind in the tachometer needle mechanism.

I'd think that the simplest solution would be to obtain a replacement from a junkyard.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I purchased a read/write device for a computer to read chip and write on new cluster. So far no success getting it to work. Was supposed to be compatible with the series chip, but came with no software. Software I found so far doesn't support the chip :(
This was for a scion xB
If you can work with surface mount chips, just swap chips.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is not a new issue, before it just chilled at 1000 RPMs the whole time. I just got lunch and it's sitting at 8000 RPMs lol.

Yeah, unfortunately I could not fully open the cluster and get into the gears behind the circuit board. It didn't want o move but I was maybe too gentle with the circuit board.

I appreciate the help! Ill take a look at each suggestion and see what I can do

1 - 7 of 7 Posts