Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a rattling, knocking sound on my 98 LX AWD CR-V for awhile now, and I just got under the car to see what part might be at fault.

I found that a rubber donut was loose and just travelling up and down the drive shaft. The following picture is not of my car but an image I took off of the internet to show you what I am talking about:

Auto part

The part I am talking about has a red circle around it. It has clearly sheared away and is just flopping around.

What is it? Is it urgent to replace it? How much would that cost, and can it be done DIY by a person with minimal tools?

·
Banned
2,510 Posts
It looks like a vibration damper on the CV axle, the entire axle would have to be replaced.

An aftermarket axle would run $45-70. Do a you-tube video search, should be several CV axle replacement videos, watch a couple and see it it looks like something you would take on. For tools, some auto part chains have a loaner prorgam for some of the specialty tools.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
You could try that, but, the intended purpose of the dampener is to damp out certain harmonics in the shaft. You've lost that mechanical connection (the rubber connecting outer to inner parts) so that won't be happening. This could lead to premature wearing out of the universal joints I'd think and you may feel a vibe in the steering wheel too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It looks like a vibration damper on the CV axle, the entire axle would have to be replaced.

An aftermarket axle would run $45-70. Do a you-tube video search, should be several CV axle replacement videos, watch a couple and see it it looks like something you would take on. For tools, some auto part chains have a loaner prorgam for some of the specialty tools.
All of the aftermarket axles I see do not include the vibration damper. Rock Auto didn't appear to have one.

That job will be too complex for my skill level.

ADDED: Honda appears to sell the vibration damper by itself, but I'm sure it requires removal of the axle to replace it, making labor the same as full replacement. It's also possible that I've let it go long enough to where excess vibration has caused other problems, possibly making full replacement necessary.

Honda lists remanufactured halfshafts for 200, Majestic Honda sells them for 140, I might go that route.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My '98 has one on each driveshaft. Id just cut the loose part off with an angle grinder, doubt you can make it any worse.

If youre not happy with vibrations etc. then you can fit a new part, but probably will need to buy a CV boot kit as well.

I have undone CV joints to replace split rubber boots before, but its a bit messy and way more work than you need to do.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm having this same issue, suspension place seemed to have damaged the passenger side vibration damper and it came loose, I also had a vibration that developed at exactly the same time. So I cut it off(it's actually a heavy metal ring that's encased in ruuber) but I still have a vibration.
Are the vibration dampers available on their own from Honda and would anyone have the part number for the shaft damper on a RD1 Crv passenger side?

Why do the OE shafts develop a vibration if the damper breaks down but many aftermarket shafts don't even have them fitted and are fine?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts