Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was checking the front brakes on my 2006 CR-V when I noticed on one of the (steel) wheels, one or two of the lug nuts came off with difficulty and another wouldn't budge at all until I really wailed on it and broke it off (ouch!). Brought it to a shop and they said at least three studs are damaged and they recommended all 5 be replaced. Last time someone may have removed the front wheels was in May by another shop (I don't know for sure, but they did do a 4-wheel alignment). Before that, I removed the wheels last year and didn't notice any problems taking the wheels off and putting them on. I always work with wheels using a breaker bar to loosen the lug nuts and torque to factory spec using a torque wrench with a calibration certificate. I've heard this happens, but this is the first time I've encountered damaged wheel studs and I've worked on quite a few wheels over the years. Am wondering how this may have happened---could the shop have done this with an impact wrench?

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
They sure could have. But good luck getting them to do anything about it. Best not to spend your money there anymore, as it sounds like a careless employee.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I've never removed wheels to do an alignment or seen others sorry to say. To do the alignment the wheels need to be on and are kept on durning adjustments to know when things are straight.

When and who did the last rotate, brake job. Sounds like the nuts were put on with the impact gun without being started by hand 1st.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm suspecting the last shop I brought it to may have been responsible (who did the 4 wheel alignment) because it had a suspension problem that they had to diagnose, though I don't know for certain if they took the fronts off. The previous time anyone took the wheels off besides me was over two years ago, and I never had problems with them until these this latest place had it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The shop replaced the rear stabilizer control links (@ 97K) because of a general complaint of an underbody noise I was hearing. I did the rear brakes a week earlier; they didn't say anything concerning that. I will be sure to have the rear wheels checked.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I'm suspecting the last shop I brought it to may have been responsible (who did the 4 wheel alignment) because it had a suspension problem that they had to diagnose, though I don't know for certain if they took the fronts off. The previous time anyone took the wheels off besides me was over two years ago, and I never had problems with them until these this latest place had it.
For whatever reason the shop likely did the damage, the studs would not get damaged by using a torque wrench to tighten to spec.

I put a light dab of anti-seize on the wheel studs of all of my vehicles and torque to the low end of the stud spec. I've never had an issue with any vehicle wheel stud.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
For whatever reason the shop likely did the damage, the studs would not get damaged by using a torque wrench to tighten to spec.

I put a light dab of anti-seize on the wheel studs of all of my vehicles and torque to the low end of the stud spec. I've never had an issue with any vehicle wheel stud.
And I'm sure you have them off more than once every 2 plus years as the OP.

Again, the wheels are NOT taken off for an alignment. (The sensors attach to the wheels and the wheels are on the car for this. The adjustments can be and are made wth the wheels on the car.) Also, the suspension work the OP referred to ended up being done I the rear of the vehicle, not the front which had the stripped studs and nuts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Honda4Life---Not questioning your points about alignments & etc., just thought that the last place that had my car was the most likely place that may have been responsible because I couldn't think of anyplace else. However, since I really don't know what happened, I've already had someone else repair my car, and I'll be chalking this one up as "just one of those things". The advice you and others gave was indeed helpful.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
And I'm sure you have them off more than once every 2 plus years as the OP.

Again, the wheels are NOT taken off for an alignment. (The sensors attach to the wheels and the wheels are on the car for this. The adjustments can be and are made wth the wheels on the car.) Also, the suspension work the OP referred to ended up being done I the rear of the vehicle, not the front which had the stripped studs and nuts.
Really? the wheels are not taken off for an alignment, NS

You know for a fact the wheels were not removed diagnosing a suspension noise?

The OP, stated the wheels were not removed (as far as he knew) by anyone else for 2 years, not that he had not removed them for two years.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Btw, was told by the shop that fixed my wheel that only that one front wheel had damaged studs. Considering that, and the fact that the previous shop had no reason to remove the fronts, I don't feel justified putting the blame on them for the damage.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have heard that too. Been using it for years on my vehicles. Hasnt affected the torque, never had a wheel lug come loose, nor had one seize. Great stuff. I use it religiously on spark plug threads too.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I have heard that too. Been using it for years on my vehicles. Hasnt affected the torque, never had a wheel lug come loose, nor had one seize. Great stuff. I use it religiously on spark plug threads too.
Same here, over 35 years. Since using, I've never had a stuck, seized, broken, or hard to remove wheel studs. I torque to the lower side of the spec given since lube will affect torque readings.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts