Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of any downsides to Running Boards? I'm considering them for my '17 CR-V because I think they look awesome and compliment the suv-sporty/adventurous nature of the car.

I don't think they're particularly useful, maybe a little.

Would it affect fuel economy? Rust at install points isn't much of a concern because it's all plastic down there.

·
Registered
227 Posts
They could possibly have the following negative impacts:
1- Reduce your ground clearance.
2- Dirty your pants by rubbing against them while getting in and out.
3- Make your CRV stand out thus more likely to be targeted by thieves/saboteurs.

If I may suggest other ways to spend the cash, buy Honda Care extended warranty,
If you already have Honda Care, take your other half away on a trip ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
My wife's 2017 had them installed and she loves them.....strictly a personal choice but I like them for the aesthetic enhancement.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only functional benefit I see is the ability to put stuff on the roof without climbing on the door sill and opening the door, and also drying the roof while washing the car. Silly benefits. I find the mentioning that my car might stand out an interesting one. I prefer to not stand out, so I may make do without them.

Part of the new car ownership that I enjoy are accessories, it's a fun thing to do
But it can get expensive.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Does anyone know of any downsides to Running Boards? I'm considering them for my '17 CR-V because I think they look awesome and compliment the suv-sporty/adventurous nature of the car.

I don't think they're particularly useful, maybe a little.

Would it affect fuel economy? Rust at install points isn't much of a concern because it's all plastic down there.
Yes you are correct they are a little useful plus they look good. Fuel economy? A bit because of their added weight. Anything that adds weight of course penalizes mileage. Also the dirt on your pants/legs that was mentioned is absolutely true. But most importantly, as what has been mentioned, if you like it, get it. At least now you can make an informed decision.

Sent from my G9208SS using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
The only functional benefit I see is the ability to put stuff on the roof without climbing on the door sill and opening the door, and also drying the roof while washing the car. Silly benefits. I find the mentioning that my car might stand out an interesting one. I prefer to not stand out, so I may make do without them.

Part of the new car ownership that I enjoy are accessories, it's a fun thing to do
But it can get expensive.
You can also by a used step box at the local thrift store for $2 or make one yourself.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone know if having running Boards blocks the jack lift points on the side of the car? Still cobsidering these. Anyone had em?

·
Registered
184 Posts
1) they are an added step
2) look real sharp ( i think so)
3) will protect your vehicle from crap kicked up by road and tires as well.
4) if you like get them... ignore the negativeness on here by those who don't...

·
Registered
20 Posts
The dealer already had them on mine when I purchased it, I tried to have the dealer remove them because it was a upsell for $1100.00. After some heated discussions they just included them in the sale because it wasn't easy to remove them as they have to cut the sound barrier in several places to install them. They look ok, but have no functional use, to small and close to really get your foot on. Besides the CRV is very close to the ground anyway!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well considering they are only 549 retail and they are charging you 1100 you are definitely getting ripped.......... Considering its a brand new model i'm not sure how a dealer would know that no one ever buys them. Maybe this is based on his experience with previous CRV's perhaps?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well considering they are only 549 retail and they are charging you 1100 you are definitely getting ripped.......... Considering its a brand new model i'm not sure how a dealer would know that no one ever buys them. Maybe this is based on his experience with previous CRV's perhaps?
Well this was mid-March and after he said he sold a lot of CRV's by that time.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts