Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am a new UK owner as of today, and picked up a mk.2 CR-V 2005 facelift with 118k on the clock and in good mechanical condition. The price was cheap (£1500). However, underneath it is looking a bit sad. The car has been coated with some kind of waxoyl-like substance but it is hiding rust, which is now coming through in places.

I have taken a video of the worst areas, please watch:
No metal is falling off yet, just the coating. I'm not sure how bad it is structurally speaking.

The car has MOT until end of March, and the entire MOT history is almost perfect - no mention of any corrosion at all, which seems at odds with its present condition.

I want to love this car, but is there a way to fix/ stop this getting worse? I am deciding whether to insure the vehicle for a year once my temporary cover runs out in a couple of days. I would really appreciate your opinion, thanks :)

Alex

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2007 Accord EX 2020 CR-V Hybrid EX
3,730 Posts
Rust? In the UK? You must be joking. :)
But seriously welcome to the Forum. Lots of UK members here who understand your climate.
It might make sense to move this to UK and other markets, but since rust is universal to all places and gens let's leave it here, we can always move if necessary.
Try a search for other rust-proofing threads.

• Haha
Reactions: UK-Kev

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,093 Posts
But seriously welcome to the Forum. Lots of UK members here who understand your climate.
It might make sense to move this to UK and other markets, but since rust is universal to all places and gens let's leave it here, we can always move if necessary.
I tend to think the UK section would make sense as the OP is concerned about MOT (what???) and temporary insurance ending...obviously uniquely UK issues....so I will move it now. Like @beww mentioned, Brits are used to rust and perhaps have some good solutions.

Additionally, the OP mentioned UK in the Title.

Reactions: alexb757

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tend to think the UK section would make sense as the OP is concerned about MOT (what???) and temporary insurance ending...obviously uniquely UK issues....so I will move it now. Like @beww mentioned, Brits are used to rust and perhaps have some good solutions.

Additionally, the OP mentioned UK in the subject.
Ok, thanks for that, I wasn't sure where best to post it. I will have a read through some older posts too as Beww suggests

·
Registered
1999 CRV Lx
620 Posts
Doesn't look like anything is really bad.

You can spray or brush all rust with a rust converter treatment followed by undercoating.

Or wire brush as much as possible then use a rust converter followed by a nice dose of undercoating treatment.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
7,563 Posts
The car is 16+ years old....metallurgical regression is not out of the ordinary.

You need to get it on a ramp to see if there is any structural defects. What you've shown is commensurate with age - I've seen worse on 3rd Gen CR-Vs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK thanks for the replies, I understand that it's not possible to see much from my video so I'm going to book it in for an inspection. Maybe I was panicking too much! I'll update with what they say

If I can wirebrush it back and treat it then I'll go ahead :)

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,043 Posts
The UK MOT test is far stricter than anything in the US on rust especially on close to steering or suspension components. you have until the next test....then we'll see. Video doesn't look at subframe to chassis mounting points either.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
7,563 Posts
OK thanks for the replies, I understand that it's not possible to see much from my video so I'm going to book it in for an inspection. Maybe I was panicking too much! I'll update with what they say

If I can wirebrush it back and treat it then I'll go ahead :)
Let us know how you get on 👌

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, I got an inspection and the result is: the underbody does have some corrosion at the sills and front suspension, but it is normal for this age. I asked him about wirebrushing it as @new-2-me-CR_V mentioned and he agreed that's a good idea, and seemed confident I could get a few more years out of the car if I kept on top of it!

One of the front ball joints is quite severely deteriorated, and the mechanic gave me a rough estimate of £290 (but cheaper if it comes out more easily), so I told them to go ahead. It's a pricey repair but all in, I'm happy with what I've paid for the car considering everything else seems OK :)

I will make a new post at some point showing a before/after when I've had a chance to clean it up (a couple of weeks from now). Thanks

·
Super Moderator
3,730 Posts
If one ball joint needs replacing I'd seriously consider doing them both.
But glad to hear you have a solid, reliable ride. I wish you many happy miles.

Reactions: solaralexx

·
Registered
2007 CRV AWD
1,494 Posts
When checking rust, I find one has to take a hammer or screwdriver to poke at the rust
Got to see how deep it goes. On my 2001 Elantra, the rear support frame was so rusted out
that it crumbled in my hand. Junked the car because could not sell it
(my conscious would never let me sleep at night)
even though everything else had been taken care of.

Ball joints are relatively easy on CRVs.
And would have considered DIY.
Youtube videos are great for learning about some issues
And how to make repairs. Saves money.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When checking rust, I find one has to take a hammer or screwdriver to poke at the rust
Got to see how deep it goes. On my 2001 Elantra, the rear support frame was so rusted out
that it crumbled in my hand. Junked the car because could not sell it
(my conscious would never let me sleep at night)
even though everything else had been taken care of.

Ball joints are relatively easy on CRVs.
And would have considered DIY.
Youtube videos are great for learning about some issues
And how to make repairs. Saves money.
Yeah, planning to check with a screwdriver when I get it back. The mechanic said the left ball joint was really bad and potentially dangerous but right side was fine. If the right one goes bad, I will try to replace it myself then.

·
Registered
2007 CRV AWD
1,494 Posts
Yeah, planning to check with a screwdriver when I get it back. The mechanic said the left ball joint was really bad and potentially dangerous but right side was fine. If the right one goes bad, I will try to replace it myself then.
Just looked at your year CRV and it isn't as easy as my 2007
The 2007 has 2 bolts and a nut.
Unfortunately the 2005 is more complicated.
For 2003 CRV,
Not impossible but require a good skill level
And good set of tools

·
Registered
2015 Honda CRV EX
80 Posts

Additionally, the OP mentioned UK in the Title.
Yes, for those that don't know, the "MOT" is a yearly vehicle inspection (like the US smog check, only more detailed) which is legally required to register the vehicle and keep it on the road. It stands for Ministry of Transport from what I can recall going back some 40 years...... ;)

·
Registered
2015 Honda CRV EX
80 Posts
The UK MOT test is far stricter than anything in the US on rust especially on close to steering or suspension components. you have until the next test....then we'll see. Video doesn't look at subframe to chassis mounting points either.
Yes, see my response to MOT in this thread.

·
Super Moderator
3,730 Posts
Yes, for those that don't know, the "MOT" is a yearly vehicle inspection (like the US smog check, only more detailed) which is legally required to register the vehicle and keep it on the road. It stands for Ministry of Transport from what I can recall going back some 40 years...... ;)
Is that anything like the Ministry of Silly Walks?
Inspections in the US vary by state, ranging from nonexistent to quite strict.
Where I live we have no inspection of any sort, at all.
This is both a good and a bad thing.

Reactions: handycrowd

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ok Beww, need to know where I’m moving next, WHEN I BUY A TANK🤣🤣🤣 Texas supposedly has inspections, it I feel far too many people are bribing the system to get a pass on poorly running and maintained vehicles. Not to stand on any kind of soap box, but it’s been a noticeable issue for as long as i have been driving(over 35 years). the major metro areas have initiated a smog sniffer test, but with more and more computers in cars, that work has narrowed down to a simple no engine light allowed to be ON in heavily populated counties, yet low population counties get some free rides, my buddies farm truck(licensed as such) has a light on that we can’t clear with ease. Most folks would let you know that blinkers in Texas NEVER function on any car🤣 but it’s sure nice when the brake lights let you know to slow down and not choke to death on the raw fuel pumping out of the smog weapon next to you in traffic. Ok. I’ve had my fun, sure hope you enjoy the new to you V and its ease of care and feeding ought to keep you happy with the minor imperfections and such as it ages

·
Registered
164 Posts
Where I live we have no inspection of any sort, at all.
Wow! I know several folks who, should this be the case in the UK, would literally drive their cars till they fall apart, Laurel and Hardy style lol! And given the crazy speed they also drive... 💯

1 - 20 of 20 Posts