Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited a 06 CRV. Last time I checked, the underside showed some rust, but overall the condition is not bad. I plan to keep the car for long time so I want to rust proof the underside. The previous car I owned, brake lines ruptured due to rust and was a hazard, and also the exhaust kept on rusting through and required repairs. I'd like to avoid it for the CRV.

I'm thinking about raising the car up, remove as much existing rust as possible by spraying it with vinegar and letting it soak awhile, then rinse, wipe clean with alcohol, and spray (either a rubberized sealant or just paint).

But I wonder if heated parts should be avoided, like exhaust. Also, aluminum parts that doesn't rust wouldn't need any right?

Any advise would be appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are many good video's on you tube about this--take a look.
Thanks. I watched some. It seems I would need to borrow someone's hydraulic lift, because doing it with a jack or a ramp is going to be more painful.

I'm still not sure if I should just use a rubberized coating or just regular paint. Most videos use rubberized coating but I heard they have drawbacks?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Personally--I would not rust proof with paint on my car.

To go through all that work, I'd use the best product I could afford.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I inherited a 06 CRV. Last time I checked, the underside showed some rust, but overall the condition is not bad. I plan to keep the car for long time so I want to rust proof the underside. The previous car I owned, brake lines ruptured due to rust and was a hazard, and also the exhaust kept on rusting through and required repairs. I'd like to avoid it for the CRV.

I'm thinking about raising the car up, remove as much existing rust as possible by spraying it with vinegar and letting it soak awhile, then rinse, wipe clean with alcohol, and spray (either a rubberized sealant or just paint).

But I wonder if heated parts should be avoided, like exhaust. Also, aluminum parts that doesn't rust wouldn't need any right?

Any advise would be appreciated. thanks
Don't use Vinegar use this stuff...... works great then paint that area
https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-215215-Reformer-10-25-Ounce-Spray-Color/dp/B001DEL6J6/ref=sr_1_2?rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1503684019&sr=8-2&keywords=rust+reformer+spray+paint&refinements=p_85:2470955011

1 - 6 of 6 Posts