Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all new 17 CRV owners around the Eastern seaboard that gets snow and then salt. Will you be getting your car oil sprayed annually (i.e Krown, Rust check), allow them to drill holes? Not sure how they will get past the acoustic padding in the wheel wells and underbody. Or did you get the dealer undercoating? I'm debating on which one to do if any, plan to keep my car for 10 years at least. Opinions? (I know there is always many on this subject, thanks)

·
Registered
430 Posts
While I'm not by the ocean, I use Salt Away spray to wash and protect the paint and wheel wells from the road salt during winters. Although it may be difficult to spray onto the underbody.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
184 Posts
Do NOT do this. I have lived in upstate NY (snow-belt) for a few decades. Aftermarket rustproofing was necessary YEARS ago but i don't think so much anymore. Most manufacturers have the proper drain holes made etc. To each his own but i would NOT do it.....................

·
Registered
34 Posts
Traded in my 20008 CRV for my 2017. Did not rustproof, from Canada...home of snow and salt, and not one prick of rust. I didn't rustproof my 2017 either

·
Registered
653 Posts
Application of 3rd party undercoating might void your manufacturer's 5 year warranty. I don't know Honda's policy, but my friend undercoated his truck and there was a problem later while the vehicle was still under factory warranty. It was deferred to the 3rd party coverage -- and that company had gone out of business.

·
Registered
653 Posts
How does the Salt Away work with that fiber blanket we have on wheel wells and underbody? For that matter, would the fiber tend to retain the salt? I've never had a vehicle with any of this type of fiber -- when we first got it, I was worried how it would clean up.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have a 2004 CR-V with 290K miles that has spent its life in northeastern Pa with zero rust and never rust-proofed. IMG_0074.jpg

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
After the terrible "rust bucket" cars and trucks of the past the government got involved. I recall some cars that rusted so badly the seats would fall out the bottom of the car, or a certain model of Ford van where the steering gear box would fall off when you hit a bump due to rust inside the frame where you couldn't even see it. Nissan bought back some 260Z's, Fiat had control arms fall off, Toyota had control arms on the rear of one model that would look fine but rusted out from the inside. There were quite a few cars that had suspension parts rust off (very dangerous!) and of course we had lots of cars that just rusted though. There was at one time a booming business in repair panels for fixing all of this. The auto makers took some serious heat for those messes and now we have cars with long factory "rust through" warranties. (Look it up). Of course they have the warranties because they started building the cars much better to stop this.

When I was young I worked in a shop where we use to do aftermarket rust proofing. I know that process only too well. Drilling the holes, shooting that gooey stuff up inside the body and frame, what a mess it was! It could help....if it were applied to a brand new car that was clean on all those surfaces. Thing is its no longer needed. In fact there are many who will tell you that you may be hurting your car by applying that stuff as it can actually trap water and salt inside the body or frame or even between the coating and the body making the car rust faster.

Personally I wouldn't put it on my own vehicle. Car makers, who now generally warrant the bodies against rust through, do a pretty good job of venting the bodies and using coatings and sealers to help stop rust. I have kept cars as long as eleven years and never had a rust issue (while living in Ohio and seeing lots of snow and salt). I did keep my car clean and would not allow it to remain soaked in salt.

In all fairness I have seen some cars from up in the snow belt (Norther Ohio and Michigan for example) that showed some rust and corrosion due to being bathed in salt water during those white winters. The best defense I have seen for this is to keep the car clean and not leave it coated in salt.

You know your area and have your own personal experience. Personally I have not had a rusted car in the past twenty or thirty years so I see no need for this "treatment". But, as always, "YMMV"

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for your views and opinions this matter. Will spend the money on waxing and washing more often.

·
Banned
806 Posts
Here is my opinion. I would have it done. My CR-V came done from the dealer. However I wouldn't allow them to drill any holes. Being that it will expose bare unprotected metal. The edges where the holes where drilled, if that makes sense. I was trying to not have the undercoating not done to my truck and was watching how it seemed to wear. I'm OCD about keeping my vehicles clean and spend more time spraying the underside of my vehicles in the winter than most do spraying the outside alone.

About three years in I wasn't liking the way it appeared to be going. I noticed that I was getting industrial fallout that was adhering to the bare undercarriage. And nobody is going to clay bar the underside. It will eventually eat thru, but may take several years. I also didn't like the way metal on metal appeared to be wearing. I would be curious to see if anybody is willing to post a picture of the underside of their car after a few years. And not just a pic of one spot. There is a difference between the underside of my truck and the one that the neighbor owns and is not undercoated. It will also add protection to rock chips. I check the underside of my vehicles every fall and touch up any places and also spray any and all untreated suspension parts with Fluid Film. I will be happy to post underside pics of my truck that is 6 years old and still looks new.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Fluid Film sounds good. Much like the farmers who spray on old used motor oil. But drill no holes!!! Just spray it on, and then go find a dirt road to drive on. The dirt will hold it on and help keep it from washing off come the first rain.

·
Banned
806 Posts
Fluid Film sounds good. Much like the farmers who spray on old used motor oil. But drill no holes!!! Just spray it on, and then go find a dirt road to drive on. The dirt will hold it on and help keep it from washing off come the first rain.
Dirt isn't required to keep it from washing off....lol. It does have to be re applied every year. I will be picking up a kit this fall to make application easier than using a rattle can now that I have a large enough air compressor.

·
Registered
184 Posts
You may also COVER UP drain holes by doing this which is NO good...........

·
Everything in Moderation
8,064 Posts
Modern cars have galvanized underbody panels.

Our 11 year old '06 (170K miles) is fine underneath, the only surface rust is on some of the brackets that hold things like evap lines and brake piping to the body. I have a lift in my garage and I inspect it every spring.

I too used to have rustproofing applied every year...not any more.

·
Registered
184 Posts
other than THOSE who sell rustproofing or rustproofing services NO one recommends rust proofing of any kind...

From Consumer reports article on new car sales tricks (February 2017)

Dealer Extras
Before they let you drive away, dealers may also try to get you to buy extra services that are usually overpriced. These include:

Rustproofing and undercoating. Don’t bother. Today’s vehicles are manufactured with good corrosion protection. In fact, Consumer Reports’ Annual Auto Surveys show that rust problems have almost vanished in modern vehicles. Standard rust-through warranties for most domestic and imported vehicles run five years or more, and many will cover you for an unlimited number of miles during the warranty period.

·
Banned
806 Posts
other than THOSE who sell rustproofing or rustproofing services NO one recommends rust proofing of any kind...

From Consumer reports article on new car sales tricks (February 2017)

Dealer Extras
Before they let you drive away, dealers may also try to get you to buy extra services that are usually overpriced. These include:

Rustproofing and undercoating. Don’t bother. Today’s vehicles are manufactured with good corrosion protection. In fact, Consumer Reports’ Annual Auto Surveys show that rust problems have almost vanished in modern vehicles. Standard rust-through warranties for most domestic and imported vehicles run five years or more, and many will cover you for an unlimited number of miles during the warranty period.
I can easily find vehicles on the road that are over 5 years old that are rusting out. Usually over the rear wheels and between the frond doors and front wheel. It may not be as prevalent as it used to be, but I still see a lot of it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Standard rust-through warranties for most domestic and imported vehicles run five years or more, and many will cover you for an unlimited number of miles during the warranty period.
I looked at our warranty which is a 5 year warranty on rust. It only covers rust on body panels that completely perforates from inside out.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I'm not sure if Honda does this but several car mfg. totally submerge cars in a vat of sealer before painting. I know Hyundai and Kia does this and I believe Mazda is now doing this

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would generally recommend against aftermarket rust prevention treatments. The dealer-offered sort are generally garbage.

The only aftermarket professional rust proofing I've ever heard a significant amount of positive feedback on is Krown. They seem to have a following. No personal experience.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts