Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I just bought a 2012 crv lx and it is in perfect condition. The original owner, it was a lease, took excellent care of it.
Living on the East Coast where our states use more salt than all the world put together on our roads in the winter I'm wondering if having the crv rust proofed would be beneficial.
Have any of you gone the rust proofing route? If so who did the work, how was the experience and are you satisfied?

I have Ziebart in the area and they would love to take my money...er I mean rust proof my car to protect it from the elements hehehe.

I did a Google search on them and whew there are a lot of complaints...many really serious complaints regarding terrible service and even damage to their vehicles.
I'm not sold on rust proofing having done it on a brand new Subaru back in the late '70's only to have the pos rust right out from under me.

Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
868 Posts
There have been several threads here on that subject. You may want to try and search for them. Some do it, some don't.

I used to get vehicles my rust proofed. Not anymore. Manufacturers, Honda anyway, do a much better job now.

In the end it's your money to spend.

Have you noticed how many rustproofing companies are out of business now? Almost like muffler shops. And the ones still in business, offer all kinds of other services as well.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
In Canada we have KROWN rustproofing companies (& Zeibart) and I can attest that after 11 years my CRV still looked fantastic without a spec of rust. And we get the snow that you get, and worse we use a lot of salt on our highways!

I highly recommend KROWN rustproofing. Of course you have to do it yearly at about $100, but well worth it. So yes, after 11 years, I spent $1,100 and that's better than spending that money on rust removal & paint.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whew I should have done a search before I posted this thread.
Lots of info...more towards not rust proofing that doing.
I've read a lot and learned a lot...that's why good forums are so valuable.
Thanks

·
Registered
868 Posts
In Canada we have KROWN rustproofing companies (& Zeibart) and I can attest that after 11 years my CRV still looked fantastic without a spec of rust. And we get the snow that you get, and worse we use a lot of salt on our highways!

I highly recommend KROWN rustproofing. Of course you have to do it yearly at about $100, but well worth it. So yes, after 11 years, I spent $1,100 and that's better than spending that money on rust removal & paint.
Well, my 2003, with way over 200K km's on it now, still looks fantastic without a spec of rust. On the exterior anyway. Never been aftermarket rust proofed.

I don't own this CRV anymore. A neighbor on our street has it now. I now have a 2011. Guess what? Never been rust proofed.

Back in the 80's I almost totally lost an Accord due to rust. And yes, it was 'rust proofed' yearly.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,064 Posts
Like driveski, we had rust problems in 70s and 80s Hondas. No more.

The galvanized bodies and undercarriage on our untreated '06 have held up VERY well. The only things that are rusty are the various brackets underneath, just surface rust.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Well, my 2003, with way over 200K km's on it now, still looks fantastic without a spec of rust. On the exterior anyway. Never been aftermarket rust proofed.
I don't doubt you, but when I was shopping for an older CRV a few years ago, every one of them that I turned down, was due to rust problems. And most ads said there was no rust, and they wasted my time when i got there.

I'm guessing you live south more, like Toronto where you don't get nearly as much snow as we do.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Whew I should have done a search before I posted this thread.
Lots of info...more towards not rust proofing that doing.
I've read a lot and learned a lot...that's why good forums are so valuable.
Thanks
My opinion: Once the vehicle leaves manufacturer's paint shop, there is always moisture and contaminants present on the body, especially in the nooks and crannies. The aftermarket coatings only trap that moisture and contaminants on the body. The oily coatings, by their nature, cause stuff to stick to the body for longer. Many of these products and services were created in the 70's. Like the 3k mile oil change, these are no longer relevant.

My solution - frequent touch free car washes that have under-body jets, and hand wash when the weather permits.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts