Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A post on another forum prompted me to look underneath the rear passenger doors, near the wheels, and a particular part seems to be rusted:

I've only put 650 miles on my CR-V Touring. Another poster on a different forum is seeing even more rust after 2500 miles. What component is this? Do others see the same thing? What should be done?

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/2017-honda-cr-v-2047145/55/

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
That's a control arm bushing. It's just a little surface rust, and nothing to worry about. The part of the bushing shell that actually bears load isn't exposed to air.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a control arm bushing. It's just a little surface rust, and nothing to worry about. The part of the bushing shell that actually bears load isn't exposed to air.
Thanks - in the link to the other forum, another poster hard rust on the clamp and bolts -- is this a problem on a new vehicle?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Thanks - in the link to the other forum, another poster hard rust on the clamp and bolts -- is this a problem on a new vehicle?
The existence of obvious rust is not inherently a problem. It's just something to keep an eye on over the years. Many types of steel are designed to have some surface rust, and then that acts as a "shield" against deeper rust that could compromise the part.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
The noted items and others were not painted and never painted from the factory. They are not meant to be painted. Your vehicle; paint if you want.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Rust is not contagious like a virus. Worrying about rust on the control arm bushing shell makes about as much sense as worrying about it on your brake rotors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts