Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2017 CRV touring
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not even a 40K miles and everything under rust. Live In NY city. Is it covered under Rust Perforation Limited Warranty ?
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive tire Automotive design
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Mechanic Rim Automotive wheel system
Wheel Automotive tire Tire Tread Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Tread Tire Wood Motor vehicle

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,039 Posts
Normally rust warranties pertain to body panels, and "perforation" which would mean rust that has eaten through the metal. There have been some highly publicized frame rust issues, however they were likely handled by special extended warranties or recalls.

Disclaimer: I have always lived in the SW so I have not personally experienced any examples of rust.

·
Registered
21 CRV EX-L FWD
56 Posts
If it puts a hole in one of your panels then they will warranty because you drive on roads that are heavily salted that's what happens to the underside. I hope you rinse the under carriage out at least in the spring. This is normal living on the east coast. I grew up in Massachusetts and that's what happens to cars in a salty environment both roads and air.

·
Registered
2018 CRV Touring AWD
224 Posts
My understanding is the Honda rust warranty is 5 years - unlimited miles. You did not mention what year CRV you drive but let's assume it is a 2017 and 4 years old. From what I see you will never be able to claim a rust problem under warranty -- This is based IMO and having lived in Lake Placid, NY for 18 years while growing up, long time ago -- they know rust !! Good luck to you.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
6,956 Posts
What year CRV?

None of the rust you photographed and shared appears to in any way compromise the integrity or function of the vehicle. It all looks like simple surface corrosion from road salts coupled with water, temperature, and time.

Some of that rust has been there since you took delivery on the vehicle. Honda exhaust systems are stainless, but are not devoid of rusting. In fact, they rust over just from welding during manufacture of the pipes. We have had owners here in the forum freak out when they look under their brand new CRV as soon as they bring it home and they see rust on every pipe in the exhaust system. Some even go through the trouble of painting their exhaust pipes under the vehicle to hide the rusting from manufacturing the pipes.

It looks like you literally have never washed all the road salts accumulated from winter season off the underside of your vehicle. Still.. I see no compromised components there, not even close.. simply surface rust on some parts. See.. if a particular part is a corrosion target that concerns Honda engineers... then they coat them or make them of a material that may surface rust but will not rust through and compromise integrity.

·
Registered
2017 CRV touring
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My understanding is the Honda rust warranty is 5 years - unlimited miles. You did not mention what year CRV you drive but let's assume it is a 2017 and 4 years old. From what I see you will never be able to claim a rust problem under warranty -- This is based IMO and having lived in Lake Placid, NY for 18 years while growing up, long time ago -- they know rust !! Good luck to you.
It looks im stuck with my problems Thank you

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
6,956 Posts
It looks im stuck with my problems Thank you
If by problem you mean a cosmetic problem.. you would be correct. And Honda is not going to fix cosmetic issues for you, even under warranty (except within 90 days of taking delivery).

You do not appear, from the photos though to have a structural integrity problem from any rust you showed us. Ugly yes, if you spend time looking under your vehicle, but that's about it.

·
Registered
2017 CRV touring
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your replies.Can it be fixed with rust remover or something like it?

·
Registered
2007 CRV AWD
1,479 Posts
I live in Albany, NY.
And I understand your concerns about the rust.
If you are really concerned then a little spray paint with rust reformer
Will slow down the formation of rust. It won't stop it.
But, it will look better. I have done this to my CRV
And it did not help. My vehicle is older and the rust has taken over.

·
The. Mod. Erator.
7,468 Posts
Looks like a classic case of no underbody treatment.

The 40K is irrelevant.

If the car had 2 miles on the clock and had no protection then the result would be the same over time.

Reactions: pookh007

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
The rust you see is currently not an issue, eventually it will be though. It is not uncommon for subframe assemblies and structural components to eventually succumb to rust issues. If you keep it long enough, you will have problems. Trade every few years and it will become someone else's problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Rust always wins. Just look at any painted metal bridge members. Some people swear by things like Ziebart, but I had failures with it on the first two new cars I bought. Have not had it done since.

·
Registered
2012 EX-L with Navi.
58 Posts
I live in Texas and we don't have any of those issues to worry about, but I do watch eric o. from upstate NY and a lot of those mechanics swear by fluid film. Google it and/or south main auto. You can find videos talking about it and showing results.

·
Registered
9 Posts
+1 on Fluid Film. I also live in upstate NY. The running gear attachment points, fasteners, hose clamps and even stainless exhaust, because of their extreme temperature changes and often low grade quality is normal, usually non structural rust. If you ignore the clamps, they might eventually fail, leaving leaks that could be damaging. Ask me how I know! You can replace clamps with stainless and wirebrush everything else. Then spray with black Rust Reformer or POR15.
Then, once a year, around October, have the underside sprayed with Fluid Film.
One of the advantages of these vehicles are the black plastic underbody covers used primarily for aerodynamics. They would seem to prevent alot of salt splash
to the undercarriage. I'm going to remove these panels before the Fluid Film, but I'll wait and see if I need to go through that much effort annually. Also, alot of experts will tell you to avoid rubberized undercoatings because they actually blister and trap moisture.
Stephen

1 - 16 of 16 Posts