Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I found some rusts underneath of my crv.
It's around rear seat and rear wheels.
Both sides have similar issues.
Before I go to my dealership, I just want to check it is only my problem or not.
As you guys know, they always say "oh I have never heard about it and it is normal" you know.
Anyway, if u guys have same issues, do u think it can be ignored as normal aging trace? It is only 2 years now.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,575 Posts
Do you live in the north with lots of road salt? Afraid the dealer is not going to do anything about that. Honda does have a "rust through" warranty but that hasn't rusted through yet.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
that is life what are you going t odo . get it cleaned then get it undercoated or throw a can of selicone spray waterproofer?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,558 Posts
I think you need to specify the conditions you drive in.

If you drive in winter and there is salt compounds on the road.. i would expect to see this. Any number of events where you expose the underside of the vehicle to any base or acid could easily cause this. Salt is a corossive base. It does look like surface rust, and so a dealer is unlikely to do anything about it.

I live in California.. and now heading into my 3rd winter and there is absolutely ZERO rust anywhere on the underside of my 2017 CRV. Other then some road grime it looks brand new.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
I remembered would you like your car protected from the Eliments we'll add a coating, I said no thanks the car sticker says protected already. I also remembered when ordering a part you had to add it on as it did not come with protection.

today I bet if you pop that felt covering offf you be amazed/surprized what you see.....

maybe I should go under and film what 2.6 years of 5 seasions looks like......

Reactions: crv383

·
Registered
37 Posts
2006 CRV: Bought new. Within a couple months I put it on jack stands, removed the wheels and undercoated all of the under part of the car. (except exhaust) No rust present. I read an article about applying an anti-rust in the doors via small holes in the vertical part of the door, not the drain holes. I don't remember what was recommended. We used WD-40 on airplanes. It has three stages. 1. lubricant. 2. Sticky. 3. Sealer. That is why I never use it to lubricate anything.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Doesn't all rust start out as surface rust?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you guys for all answer. Unfortunately, I live in NY with heavy snow and salt. I have been checking other CR-V in my town after post. Some cars have same issues like mine and some cars have undercoating and there was no rust at all. I should have gotten undercoating right after get my CRV. Nobody recommends that. It's too late anyway, so I'm planning to spray WD-40 and Anti-rust spray that spot weekend. I hope it will work well. What I'm worried about is a safety issue kind of rust through now. Do u think if I don't fix it, it's gonna be a serious problem like rust through? If it will be just surface rust like exhaust parts, it doesn't matter, isn't it?

·
Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
1,706 Posts
Thank you guys for all answer. Unfortunately, I live in NY with heavy snow and salt. I have been checking other CR-V in my town after post. Some cars have same issues like mine and some cars have undercoating and there was no rust at all. I should have gotten undercoating right after get my CRV. Nobody recommends that. It's too late anyway, so I'm planning to spray WD-40 and Anti-rust spray that spot weekend. I hope it will work well. What I'm worried about is a safety issue kind of rust through now. Do u think if I don't fix it, it's gonna be a serious problem like rust through? If it will be just surface rust like exhaust parts, it doesn't matter, isn't it?
i think you’ll be fine
You can get a cheap amazon sprinkler and put it on your driveway on warmer winter days and back and forth drive over it if you want to get some od the caked on stuff.
My in laws are in utica and they’ve been doing that for years

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
The 1st puddle of water will wash away WD40.......maybe the second puddle.

Chain Wax is basically the same stuff as Cosmoline (used by the military), in an aerosol can. It dries to a wax film/coating. Anytime I crawl under the car, the Chain Wax goes with me. Water will not remove Chain Wax or Cosmoline.......acetone or kerosene will. If you were to clean a couple of those spots with a steel wire brush, spray one with Chain Wax/Cosmoline and one with WD40 then check those spots a few weeks later......I think you'll be surprised at what you see.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
Selicone not wd-40 maybe some one can tell you the damage wd-40 does....

remebering a transmission shifter video how the salt stopped the shifter from working . wd-40 was a joke, and then selicone man I was free for the whole winter....

Reactions: awmdlmcrv11

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Dayum, Fish.......you used to be a young man!.......weren't we all.?

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
Dayum, Fish.......you used to be a young man!.......weren't we all.?
I am an Old fart, not going to Hijack this thread but you want to stay tuned for a cranky old fart video in 4K, best be warned its a cheech and chong one. or better . Look for the rated -r video by special invitation only... Lol thanks CRV383 I'll take that as the best compliment of Oct/nov 2019!!

·
Banned
89 Posts
Hey guys. I found some rusts underneath of my crv.
It's around rear seat and rear wheels.
Both sides have similar issues.
Before I go to my dealership, I just want to check it is only my problem or not.
As you guys know, they always say "oh I have never heard about it and it is normal" you know.
Anyway, if u guys have same issues, do u think it can be ignored as normal aging trace? It is only 2 years now.
View attachment 136148 View attachment 136149 View attachment 136150
I don't think Honda will do anything but say its normal. I would recommend if you are planning to keep this vehicle for the long haul, if you have the ability to spray the rust with a restorer. There are many products on the market, Rust-oeum for example has a product called rust restorer, this chemical actually will neutralize the rust and prevent it from recurring.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts