Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings! My 1998 CRV needs new brakes. The mechanic suggested also replacing the calipers because they look so very rusted.

This car is originally from Missouri and no doubt it has a lot of rust from the years. I travel a lot and I have found when I go to mechanics further north, they acknowledge the rust as a problem but aren't quite as put off by it. I am in Texas now and my experience is the rust seems to be a "bigger deal" to mechanics down south.

I want to do what is needed for my car, but also don't want to add to the expense of the repair with new calipers if not necessary.

I am not a mechanic or well-informed when it comes to cars. Does anyone have any insight to offer that may be helpful in the decision?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,182 Posts
You do not want to bring rust to places that it can spread (JOKING) but play it safe calipers do not run a lot and are not hard to do, but understanding if you are not a DIYer for reasons, I always said get with a member, see if any are willing to help, but be safe today. If they are shot change them if they are causing wear to the brakes change them. if you are going to skimp (be cheap) be careful, the long run can be more costly

·
Registered
2001 Crv SE
295 Posts
If the caliper piston moves freely and doesn't leak, rust on a caliper means nothing. I would ask them if the piston is leaking and does it fully compress. If it is not leaking and compresses there is no need to change the caliper. Find a different shop. A smaller locally owned garage is generally more honest than any chain. They will try to upsell quite a bit.

Now the caliper bracket itself may get rust buildup behind brake pad shims and cause pads to not move freely. That can still be "cleaned" out. Bottom line. I would ask for more information than just rusty calipers.

·
Premium Member
6,182 Posts
to show you what is in store for a calipar and what John was saying, but what we do not see when its really off,

·
Registered
2007 CRV AWD
1,489 Posts
For me the decision to replace a caliper would require knowing whether the caliper is functional or not.
Now, it could be non functional but repairable. Have had rust welded guide pins.
I heated it up and was able to pull it out. Cleaned up the pin and the hole. Greased. Worked.
Kept it. Would have been easier to just replace them but more expensive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts