Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is NOT a snowbelt issue.... it has been happening all summer & fall.

I am seeing that the rotors "rust" after being parked 3 or 4 days in our garage. The garage is "dry" (as is my house basement). The brakes make noise until the rust is knocked off by the calipers pads. My Tacoma truck, parked outside, does not get surface rust like this & sits for even longer periods of time (5 to 10 days).

Does anyone else have this issue with a low mileage, infrequently drive 5th Gen CR-V?

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,554 Posts
It's normal.
It has to do with the type of metal used in the rotors and the fact they are a shiny unprotected metal surface.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk
(y)

And to add one additional note here... from basic chemistry ... rust forms on iron, and alloys containing iron, when oxygen and moisture are present. Heat will accelerate the process by the way. When you park after driving, the rotors are hot.

As the rotors cooldown the iron in the alloy will oxidize a bit (ie: rust forms)... and depending on the amount of moisture in your garage.... you may see more of less of this as a result of the cooldown cycle. No garage is 0% humidity or 0% oxygen either, so simply sitting there cold.. they will continue to form oxidation rust a bit as well. :)

They will rust more after being driven in wet weather... because your vehicle will be soaking wet when you park in the garage and all that mosture eventually evaporates inside your garage.

It's not a problem though.. because as soon as you use your brakes again... that small oxide buildup gets wiped clean.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Just a maintenance & service note for those inclined to DIY: Be sure to check your brake caliper pins especially the rear pins every other oil change. They tend to stick and will need the lower rear guide pins to be lubricated (silicone paste works). Very simple DIY with just lower flange bolt being opened enough to rotate caliper.

·
Registered
425 Posts
3 to 4 days sitting idle.... that is normal, it will show surface rust... any unpainted and untreated metal surface will. If you don't like it to rust you can spray oil on it... but definitely not a good idea for you need it free from oil and dirt in order to stop... :)

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
late 90's just a lil late to the table, if you has t rust on your brake system you not be here tomorrow cold rotor never said hot spray them and the next day they are rusty color, want to see what a 6 month rotor looks like notdriven maybe I'll come back and show ya.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's normal. It has to do with the type of metal used in the rotors and the fact they are a shiny unprotected metal surface.
3 to 4 days sitting idle.... that is normal, it will show surface rust...
Odd - My Tacoma truck & motorcycle rotors do NOT rust this quickly and they sits longer without being driven.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
425 Posts
Odd - My Tacoma truck & motorcycle rotors do NOT rust this quickly and they sits longer without being driven.

:rolleyes:
[/QUOT
after I wash my cars.... any car.... I also wash the rims with car soup thus the rotors get washed too.... the next day I could feel the brake pads cleaning out the surface rust on the rotors...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts