Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Removing the bolts on the air box to change the filter element should be a 10 minute job but became an hour+ because the bolts were rusty and crusty. The bolts have an 8mm head but the rust reduced some to 7mm or less. Is anyone else experiencing this difficulty? Anyone got a solution?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Those tiny bolts were rusty on my car too. The best thing is to replace them and put a tiny bit of anti seize on the threads. For the top of the bolts, I just sprayed them with a tiny bit of amsoil metal protector. Just make sure you don't spray them with silicone spray. Silicone will kill your o2 sensors in no time. Oh yeah, do not overtighten them. They will snap off easily.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honda needs to use better quality bolts or use clips like Toyota. The original bolts had useless/rusty philips type slots on top and 8mm size hex heads which are slowly crumbling away making a simple filter change very difficult. I had to use a 7mm socket on one and a 9/32 on another and finally a bolt remover socket......PIA!!!
The problem is not the threads so next summer I will try some stainless bolts and the anti seize.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Stainless steel would be perfect for those bolts since they do not need the high tensile strength. Oh yeah, what's up with that little vent hose that is attached to the airbox? That hose tears very easily be careful with that thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts