Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a March 2008 CRV with exactly the same problem; rust spots on all four steel wheels! It's done just under 11k. Worse yet, I've just noted a couple of tiny rust bubbles pushing up the paint on the tailgate!!!
I've just noticed the exact same thing on my March '07 CR-V EX-L, which has less than 40000 Km on it. (24000 miles) Rust is bubbling through the paint on the left hand side of the tailgate just under the chrome trim above the licence plate. GRRRRR!!!!
I called the dealer & they seem to be aware of this problem & they said it will be covered under the 3-year surface & 5-year perforation warranty, and I'll be calling their bodyshop tomorrow bright & early to book it in, but GRRRRR!!!! all the same. I have owned nothing but Honda's since 1984, one for as long as 7 years, and I have never had any rust issues before - and I live in salty, slushy Ontario. Colour me Not Impressed.:mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
2 Posts
tiny rust spots on paint

I have a 2009 CR-V bought it brand new at the end of October 2008. It has about 6,000 miles on it and was kept in the garage all winter (we live in IA). After washing it the other day I noticed hundres of tiny rust spots all over the the lower half of the driver's side door. The rust is also on the passenger side with a little less on the back doors. I called the salesman and he was almost useless. Tried to tell me that due to all the acid rain in our city (which is crap) and salts used by Dept. of Trans. that it can be expected. The CR-V is silver and we also own a 2003 Honda Civic which had been parked outside for it's entire life until last fall and it has NO rust. Salesman then tried to tell me that the rust is only on the "clear coat". How does clear coat rust? I thought only metals would rust!!!! I'm so aggravated and am preparing to go to the dealership to fight. No car, no matter how much salt the DOT dumps on the road, should rust after being on the road for seven months. Any suggestions before the battle begins? Salesman told me this probably won't be covered by warranty. I'm furious!

·
Registered
11 Posts
tiny rust spots too

I also have a 2009 crv (about 2000 miles) that has some tiny rust spots all over the 4 doors. I live in California and park the car on the street. My 2004 honda Civic just has some rust spots since last year.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
HOw'd you manage to get rust already on such a new car? IS it from road damage? Where abouts do you live in Ca?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I live in the bay area. I don't think it is from road damage. Those tiny rust spots are really tiny and just look like what my 2004 Civic has (just look a lot smaller).

Actually my wife told me she saw those tiny rust spots on the 2004 Civic after about one year she bought the car. Now the rust spots just look more obviously than before. We only take the civic to automatic car wash once a month and never clay and wax the car.

Both the CRV and Civic are silver grey.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
Automatic car washes are really rough on a car, I always do it by hand so I can be extremely gentle.:) But still, the Bay area is not THAT salty, unless you live closer to the actual ocean? say San Francisco, then that may be an issue, but stil lyou should not have rust spots in the paint already.:(

·
Registered
2 Posts
results from visit to dealership

Okay, met with the salesman and he knew I was upset. Both of us then spoke with the service manager. SM looked at the car and said it's all road salt based. He asked me if I hand washed the car over the winter. My answer was no, we live in IA and why would I hand wash a car in 10 degree weather. The salesman told me he had a white Ridgeline and the $100/can wax didn't do much to anything to prevent further rust. Salesman also said some of the brand new cars on the lot have/had the spots on them. What?
To appease me, the SM asked me to bring my CR-V back the following morning so they could attempt to buff the spots off and I agreed. He also told me I could expect to have the same thing happen this coming winter and that they were doing me a favor because the paint and clearcoat are not under warranty for this type of damage. Went back the following day, dropped the car off, and when I picked it up at the end of the day all the rust spots had been buffed off. They didn't charge me for it. What still makes me mad is that I'm supposed to expect more rust this fall/winter and that Honda accepts this is happening. Again, we have a 03 Civic, same silver color, with aboslutely no rust. Last winter was the first time it's been in a garage and still.....no rust on it. I believe it's a flaw in the clear coat or paint....is Honda getting cheap? I've talked to several other Honda owners and no one that I know has had the same thing happen to them. Likewise, I've talked to Toyota and Nissan owners and neither have experienced the rust spots. My commute to work is 6 miles round trip so this car is not on the interstates where salt can coat your entire car on your way to work. Again, while I'm happy that the rust is temporarily gone, the fact that I should expect more (and that Honda thinks it's acceptable) really makes me mad. I wanted to feel good about this purchase, like I got my money's worth but I don't. The salesman's final advice: by dark or black Hondas.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Okay, met with the salesman and he knew I was upset. Both of us then spoke with the service manager. SM looked at the car and said it's all road salt based. He asked me if I hand washed the car over the winter. My answer was no, we live in IA and why would I hand wash a car in 10 degree weather. The salesman told me he had a white Ridgeline and the $100/can wax didn't do much to anything to prevent further rust. Salesman also said some of the brand new cars on the lot have/had the spots on them. What?
To appease me, the SM asked me to bring my CR-V back the following morning so they could attempt to buff the spots off and I agreed. He also told me I could expect to have the same thing happen this coming winter and that they were doing me a favor because the paint and clearcoat are not under warranty for this type of damage. Went back the following day, dropped the car off, and when I picked it up at the end of the day all the rust spots had been buffed off. They didn't charge me for it. What still makes me mad is that I'm supposed to expect more rust this fall/winter and that Honda accepts this is happening. Again, we have a 03 Civic, same silver color, with aboslutely no rust. Last winter was the first time it's been in a garage and still.....no rust on it. I believe it's a flaw in the clear coat or paint....is Honda getting cheap? I've talked to several other Honda owners and no one that I know has had the same thing happen to them. Likewise, I've talked to Toyota and Nissan owners and neither have experienced the rust spots. My commute to work is 6 miles round trip so this car is not on the interstates where salt can coat your entire car on your way to work. Again, while I'm happy that the rust is temporarily gone, the fact that I should expect more (and that Honda thinks it's acceptable) really makes me mad. I wanted to feel good about this purchase, like I got my money's worth but I don't. The salesman's final advice: by dark or black Hondas.
Paragraphs please...

·
Registered
66 Posts
How can they "buff the rust spots off"? Rust appears on metal. If you buff it off you need to buff through the layers of paint down to the metal. I presume they did not re-spray it?

Unless the paintwork is "metallic" and the metallic paint is rusting. But does metallic paint have a metal content?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tailgate rust on '08 CRV

Just washed my CRV this weekend preparing to wax it up for winter and I also noticed about twenty small pinhole size brown rust spots, and a couple of them were beginning to blister underneath. Only 6,500 miles parked in my garage overnight. We do have icy winters here. But our city is stingy on salt, and never had a new car rust this early with normal care after 1980's.
I am very disappointed.:mad:

·
Registered
687 Posts
He asked me if I hand washed the car over the winter. My answer was no, we live in IA and why would I hand wash a car in 10 degree weather.
I live in IA too. The 10 degree days only last for a few weeks and there's typically a few days above freezing every couple weeks. Evne in January, my cars still get washed once a month. Going 3 months without being washed, wold definitely push the limits of the paints ability to protect. Expecially if there are warm sunny afternoons to let the salt do it's work.

The washer fluid on the rear window doesn't help either.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
TSB For Rust On The Tail Gate

I mentioned way back in post #2 that there is a TSB for rust under the license plate trim. If your vehicle is listed in the TSB and you have the condition noted, you may be able to get the tail gate "refinished" for free.

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A08-072.PDF

Note step 2 in the repair procedure:

"2. Refinish the tailgate using best shop practices. "

I am not exactly sure what that means but it don't hurt to ask.

There was a thread a long time ago about rail dust. Apparently there is a lot of metalic dust associated with rail transportation. This dust can embed in the clear coat and rust. I am not supporting this view, just mentioning it. For those with the pin points, you may try a claybar on a few spots and see if they disappear and don't come back.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts