Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

S mode driving

13352 37
S mode driving gives immediate response, no hesitation. Can one just drive in S mode only? What are the consequences, if any? TIA.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

· Premium Member
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
10,508 Posts
I rarely use it, unless my engine is not warmed up yet and I have a hill to climb. There is a high overpass about a block from my home that I sometimes cross and that is when I use it as it gives a smoother and better power response. S mode does give a notable improvement in the response of the engine. As to "can I use it all the time?" question... I don't recall anything in the owners manual about any restrictions on using it. Of course you are going to see worse gas mileage.

What I never do is use ECO mode on my CRV in town. It responds so much better in town without ECO on. I only use ECO on a freeway drive.

· Registered
3,068 Posts
S mode is fun......luv it.

· Registered
2,063 Posts
I Rarely use Sports mode because my commute is typically in heavy traffic. On weekends when I go out on longer trips I do use it and it is really nice but it does burn through a lot more gas. Personally I would not use it all the time as it might shorten the life of the CVT.

Rob

· Registered
66 Posts
Funny, I use it just the opposite, ECO off for freeway and on for around town.
I agree. What good does econ do on the freeway. Lower RPMs? NO! My previous car a Kia Optima Turbo Shifted quicker in ECON effectively "short shifting" like a race car. My Avalon Hybrid in ECON gets much better mpg in the city. The heater fan speed reduces in city traffic along with reduced response. The CRV is my wife's car and I feel it in the CRV too but not as pronounced. ECON on the Interstate does nothing IMO

· Banned
249 Posts
I agree. What good does econ do on the freeway. Lower RPMs? NO! My previous car a Kia Optima Turbo Shifted quicker in ECON effectively "short shifting" like a race car. My Avalon Hybrid in ECON gets much better mpg in the city. The heater fan speed reduces in city traffic along with reduced response. The CRV is my wife's car and I feel it in the CRV too but not as pronounced. ECON on the Interstate does nothing IMO
Understanding Econ Mode

Econ mode maximizes your chosen Honda’s efficiency by changing the way that key drivetrain components operate.

Air Conditioning: Econ mode saves fuel by limiting the activity of your air conditioner. The latter will blow more slowly than usual, and it will also shut off more frequently. You’ll save fuel wherever you go, but you won’t be able to cool your cabin as quickly in a pinch.
Transmission and Shift Points: Activating Econ mode will alter the Shift Points for your Honda vehicle, prioritizing fuel economy over rapid response and performance. Moreover, while you’re traveling in cruise control, your car will avoid shifting down gear whenever possible. You’ll move more slowly up hills, but you’ll save plenty of fuel.
Throttle Response: Under normal driving conditions, most vehicles will tend to consume a lot of fuel when they accelerate. Econ mode alters your vehicle’s midrange throttle response. When using this setting you won’t accelerate as quickly, but every gallon of gas will take you a lot further.

· Registered
3,068 Posts
I don't think "every gallon of gas will take you a lot further", but I do notice some improvement in MPG when using ECON mode. I don't use ECON mode during the summer months.......when ambient temps are triple digits, A/C needs to be at peak performance.

· Registered
2020 Honda CR-V
56 Posts
i think this depends on your driving habits. if you're heavy on the gas then you will def use more gas. for me, I'm used to feathering the gas so driving in s mode is perfect for me as I get that response time and use about the same amount of gas as normal driving mode. at least based on my average mpg which i constantly monitor every refill. And generally when cruising in the highway i find it more easier to keep the mpg bar higher in the highway

· Registered
3,068 Posts
Yes, just push the ECON button.

· Registered
3,068 Posts
Apparently Honda does not think so. I use ECON and S around town (not 100%).....2K-2.5K rpm vs 1.5K-2K rpm in D.

· Registered
3,068 Posts
May I ask why the A/C would turn itself off when engine revs are high?:confused2:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.