Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I thought all water damaged vehicles were supposed to be crushed after insurance payout.
They are supposed to receive a flood title (which essentially makes them unable to be financed or fully insured), but they don't have to be crushed. There can be plenty of perfectly usable parts that can be taken from a flooded car, and they can even be drivable cars for the particularly desperate or adventurous.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
I believe the plates are required to be removed. Don't we all drive a used car?

·
Registered
6 Posts
The plates would not be with the car. I would guess that you are seeing "refugees" from the storm damaged areas.

If they are shipping flood cars out and selling them for driving cars, they would not be keeping the Texas plates, as those go back to the tag agency, they don't go with the car generally.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
nothing beats that body shop in virginia that gets all teh crash test cars
they had a few crvs with like 14 miles on them for the roll over tests for sale.
Totally ruined of course but tons of brand new oem parts!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Totalled cars are handled differently depending on what state you are in. Once the insurance company writes them off they get a salvage title. Those cars can (and often are) bought, repaired and sold. In MOST, but not all, states that car lives with a salvaged title the rest of its life. My sister wanted a Fit a few years back but would not buy a new one as she didn't want "depreciation". Of course finding a good used Fit is next to impossible so she bought a used one with a salvage title to save a grand. (I warned her...but what do I know?). Anyway the car had been very cheaply and badly repaired and in two years time it had a long list of problems, not the least of it was the poor paint job that fell off, the air bags that no longer worked, multiple electrical problems from the damage, etc.

NEVER, NEVER buy a salvage car unless you know what it is, you have the capacity to do major work to fix it and...you bought it so dirt cheap that you could afford a ton of money for a lot of repairs that (item 2) you can do yourself. My sister ended up not being able to sell her Fit and finally gave it to her daughter.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
They all late model year with Texas plate on and 10+ on the carrier truck at a time.
10+ all late model year......really? They must have all been Smart cars in order to fit 10+ on a single transport. I didn't think even used car lots in Texas have vehicles with plates still on them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts