• not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi here is my story.

Bought a Honda CRV 2.2 diesel manual with 40 thousand km on and with service plan in Feb 2013. What an amazing car. We loved it is was perfect. Fuel consumption, power, luxury, safety features you name it. I was amazed and felt safe to let my wife use it every day. It is a Honda and safe!

In Aug 2016 with less than 100 thousand km " I thing in miles it is around 50 thousand miles" the diesel engine broke will my wife was driving on the freeway, luckily it was not peak our traffic. According to her the car lost power, a lot of smoke come out in the back and then the car's engine just started running and screamed as it over accelerate. She managed to get the car out of the traffic without causing an accident and took it out of gear and switched the ignition off but the engine just run flat out and screamed. She got out and run away scarred the car will explode. Well the engine just run until everything was destroyed.

I know engines brake and need to be fixed. The car was always serviced at Honda dealerships on its due dates.

What makes me angry is that this presumably safe car which is advertised all over by Honda have put my wife’s life in danger and my family if we were driving in it. Nothing could stop the engine. There were no safety measures in the CRV/diesel engine to cut it off and stop it from running away. It does not help to switch the car off, it just kept on going full throttle.

My concern is that these diesel CRV's could kill people if something brakes in the engine and oil and diesel start to mix!

Honda SA is going on that their only responsibility to Honda owners stop when the guarantee expires. 3 years or 100 000 km.

My question is who else had the same experience with their Honda diesel's that just run away. TO me this is scarier than Toyota's accelerator cable issues in America.

Regards

Unhappy Honda diesel CRV owner

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD sold
4,096 Posts
From the sound of it (no pictures I presume) the seal on the Turbo failed. As a result if this, the engine started to ingest its own oil.
Until the oil ran out, it overheated and seized.
There are videos of this type of event on you tube with big trucks. Think it's fair to say it's very rare. Regardless of brand of car or truck.

https://youtu.be/nhtQ_Si_tn8

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Info

I also loaded this onto a forum in South Africa and got much more info from them regarding the safety on diesel engines that blow. Here is some of the comments:

Almost every vehicle on earth has brakes that are an order of magnitude more powerful than the engine fitted. If its a manual or an automatic, even at full power, the brakes will stop the car.

The failure is probably due to turbo oil seals failing, not something that can be seen coming, or that can be prevented with maintenance. Its a lottery ticket item.

What is rather weird is that the motor does not have a shut off flap, most modern diesels have a butterfly in the intake that closes when the ignition is turned off, ensuring that the motor can be killed in a runaway scenario.

Is there no intake cut off valve like fitted to most modern day diesels?

Follow the air line from after the intercooler. Its generally bolted to the intake manifold. Or if you feel like googling, its also refered to as an ASV (Anti-Shudder-Valve) as the main purpose is to prevent the motor from stuttering to a halt like an old tractor.

I try to see if the Honda Diesel engine has one on the internet but no luck.

Regards

Frans

1 - 4 of 4 Posts