Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellow CRV Owners,

I just received a letter today for my year (2007)CRV and for all 3rd generation (up to 2011) for the defective airbag inflator rupturing with metal fragments causing serious harm or fatality. In the letter it states the remedy parts will not be available until summer 0f 2016. And that Honda will send another letter when the parts become available to repair my vehicle.

So, my question and thought is: does this mean we are driving an unsafe vehicle in case the air bag happens to deploy? We are going on a long road trip in another week and we just wonder how to think about our trip if an accident were to occur. Has anyone had an accident with a 3rd generation CRV where the airbag deployed? And if it did, were there any metal fragments flying out? We are wondering if this is all 3rd generation CRV's or just random for the defective airbags?

Would be very interested to hear from other CRV owners concerning this issue.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
If I were to get such a letter I'd investigate and find out if the air bags are on a fuse. I'd remove it if it were to disable it.
I've done a lot of driving without air bags in my lifetime, I don't need a potential 'bullet' sitting right in front of me just because the government says it has to be there.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Got the same Safety Recall Notice, NHTSA Recall 16V-061, for our 2011 EX-L today. We're not happy that the necessary repair parts will not be available until this summer.

·
Registered
776 Posts
The problems have been (from what I read) a spontaneous exploding of the canister that contains the explosive - not from an accident. You are correct in assuming that it's a disaster waiting to happen. Problem is, of course, so many vehicles are being recalled, they don't have near enough product to meet demand. The areas where the weather is hot and humid are going to get priority from what I read !! Not good, obviously. Craig

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I got it too. It is a major recall for a lot of car makers, not just the CRV. This is why it is taking sooo long to do the recall. Am I happy about it?, no, but am going to go about my daily life until it gets recalled, not going to lose sleep over it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello everyone. Just joined, first post. I received the letter as well. I believe that Honda will provide alternative transportation until the repairs are completed. Read under the "what should you do" heading. I'm heading to the dealership tomorrow to see what's up. I will let you all know what happens...

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am calling my mechanic tomorrow and ask if there is a fuse that can disable the deployment of the airbags. That would be the best solution for now. My last car didn't have airbags and I drove many, many years in that Chevy Nova.

So, it isn't about having an accident, it sounds like it is more like heat and humidity. Well, that is exactly what we have in Dallas as we get closer to summer. We are not as bad as Houston but we have much humidity along with the intense heat. And we are going to a hot area for our vacation.

Yes, please tell us what you find out at the dealership. I wonder what they mean by alternative transportation as stated in the letter?

Thank you all for your replies!

·
Registered
776 Posts
I wouldn't lose sleep over it, but it is a concern. I think there have been 11 deaths caused by the exploding canister and the recall is about 28 million so far so the odds are pretty slim at this point. Everyone who got this letter is in an area where they've identified conditions that were present in most of the explosions. I'm guessing those of us "up here" will wait a few years before they address the situation. I can't believe dealers will start handing out free transportation to you guys, but it doesn't hurt to ask. What puzzles me is how a company like Takata can stay in business with a liability like this. Who takes over mfg of bags when Takata goes belly up ?? Stay tuned. Craig

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I called my mechanic this morning and he told me there isn't a fuse to detached the airbags and it is also against the law. He didn't want to even get involved with anything like that. So, I called American Honda which has a phone number on the recall letter and they looked up my vehicle and told me it was the drivers side only. I asked why it is only the driver's side airbag but she didn't have an answer. I would think both driver and passenger side airbags would be the same. They also told me that my dealership will provide a loan car until I can have my CRV airbag changed out. So a case manager will be getting in touch with me early next week is what I was told. Well, let's see what happens. I don't see how Honda will just hand over loan vehicles as temporary replacements. Their lots would be cleaned out for one thing.

Craig, I agree, we can't lose sleep over this. And Takata is still in business? That has to be politics somehow.

I will post what I am told once I speak with the American Honda case manager. Not going to hold my breath though.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Honda has been giving loaner cars out for a over a year now to any one that requests one.

The cars do not come from dealer stock but are contracted out to rental car companies.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Went in and spoke to the service dept. today. Honda will pay for a rental from enterprise. The Honda guy was not there so I have to go back Monday to get the rental. Also, your vehicle MUST remain at the dealership until repair is done if you take the rental.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Honda has been giving loaner cars out for a over a year now to any one that requests one.

The cars do not come from dealer stock but are contracted out to rental car companies.
And whos to say one of those rental cars may have an airbag recall in a couple yrs too. It could be just as I unsafe or even more so than the one the OP is currently dtiving. Who knows though?

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it and didnt when they recalled earlier models like the one I had.

Lol, my main work truck doesnt even have an airbag, old 93 T100. Am I scared, no, when its my time to go, please take me!!!!!!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The dealership will keep the CRV while the customer drives the rental. Oh, that wouldn't work for us. We want our car with us. Our car doesn't belong to Honda or the dealership.

Glad to know this.

Thanks

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
+

If they had they likely would not be here to talk about it.
Not necessarily. Someone could have had an airbag deploy with or without some fragments and receive minimal injury and be on this site posting. That is why I was asking.

·
Registered
776 Posts
We're not talking about a normal deployment of the airbag here !! The canister stays intact in that situation - here, we're talking about the canister exploding with tremendous force. I don't think many have survived it but I'm not sure.
As for Honda keeping my car until it's fixed while I miss out driving it and am still making payments BTW, I think not !! It could easily be 6 months from the way it sounds that you'd be driving a rental.
Personally, I'm more wary of potential fatal accidents caused by distracted driving (make that read texting) than I would be of the airbag exploding. Craig

·
Registered
9 Posts
All good points. But I really won't mind putting a couple months worth of miles on a vehicle that's not mine. Plus, it's not like my cr-v is a real blast to drive anyway. I couldn't care less about the airbag risk, it seems pretty minimal.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We're not talking about a normal deployment of the airbag here !! The canister stays intact in that situation - here, we're talking about the canister exploding with tremendous force. I don't think many have survived it but I'm not sure.
As for Honda keeping my car until it's fixed while I miss out driving it and am still making payments BTW, I think not !! It could easily be 6 months from the way it sounds that you'd be driving a rental.
Personally, I'm more wary of potential fatal accidents caused by distracted driving (make that read texting) than I would be of the airbag exploding. Craig
Hi Craig,

I saw people interviewed on the news that had the airbag canister explode in their vehicle. They interviewed a man that lost one of his eyes because of the shrapnel and a woman who had been pierced by the fragments in her neck and face. This is what I was curious about on this site. I know there were also deaths too unfortunately.

I see people constantly texting in their cars and I just wonder why people take such a risk. This is ongoing and a huge problem. I agree with you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
One last update. Went in to get the rental today. They did let me take the cr-v home, just had to sign a form saying I would not drive the car and if anyone was injured from airbag Honda has no liability.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts