Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a 2000 CR-V LX AWD 5 speed with under 100,000 miles worth buying?
Seller asking $1500.
Car seems to be in good condition with some body damage on the left doors, I can easily find replacement doors and local junk yard.
Thanks.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Welcome to the CRVOC forums, RD2AWD! It's hard to say what the vehicle has went through to receive the "Salvage" title. Sometimes you must thoroughly inspect the vehicle to make sure there's no extensive damage beyond repair. Having said salvage title will have next to nothing resale value and certain types of insurance plans are out the window. I personally wouldn't purchase a branded title vehicle as it could be a safety issue or immediate loss of value. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 01CRVEX,
The salvage title is because of body damages, plus, 2 flat tires.
The thing is, because of the flat tires, I cannot drive the car, I can only start it.
Engine sounds O.K, interior is good.
I know it's a gamble.

·
Registered
457 Posts
It's a steal for a 5-speed under 100k miles. Unless you're not looking to re-sell it and are willing to ride it until the wheels fall off, it's not such a bad deal. It's definitely a gamble.

·
Registered
770 Posts
It's a steal for a 5-speed under 100k miles. Unless you're not looking to re-sell it and are willing to ride it until the wheels fall off, it's not such a bad deal. It's definitely a gamble.
Agree times two. As long as the center pillar between the front/rear door is ok (meaning the front door will open and shut) if not, it would require frame work on the unibody which can be expensive. JMHO AND GO FOR IT.
David g.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,573 Posts
B pillars can be pulled it removed and replaced. But it would take a shop to do it.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I've dealt with salvage vehicles and salvage titles since the late 60s in the used car business, body shop business and as an insurance adjuster for 31+ years. A salvage title only means that the repair cost plus the salvage value exceeds the retail value of the vehicle. It means nothing more. A salvage title hurts the value of an expensive vehicle a lot but it makes little difference in a cheap vehicle. A dented fender will total a cheap vehicle and cause a salvage title.

I would base my decision on price and condition and pay little attention to whether or not it has a salvage title. I've driven "totaled" cars and motorcycles for many years without issues.

·
Registered
312 Posts
A "salvage' title might mean as little as a dented fender and then again it might mean a major accident that resulted in subframe damage or flood damage that has destroyed the integrity of the vehicles electrical system (including airbags).

Someone with much experience like osbornk can make a better decision whether a frame is bent or a car suffered flood damage compared to a layman. I have a decent amount of mechanical experience on quite a few types of equipment and I would never consider buying a "salvage" titled vehicle unless I knew the history of the car and saw with my own eyes the "before" and after" reason for the title change. Why? Because sometimes its hard to spot the damage.

Nor would I feel comfortable re-selling a vehicle with a "salvage" title without that knowledge.

There are alot of unscrupulous folks in the World and a quick Google search will show that even State Farm Insurance was intentionally failing to apply for the proper "salvage" title after they totaled vehicles from Hurricane damage. Here are some great articles about used car salesmen who lack the integrity of osbornk:

https://www.cars.com/articles/2014/09/storm-surge-beware-of-title-washed-cars/

"In 2005, the State Farm insurance company reached an agreement with the attorneys general of 49 states and the District of Columbia for failing to properly title cars, reimbursing over 30,000 affected consumers. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/13/n...rricane-sandy-lure-unwitting-buyers.html?_r=0

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,573 Posts
I discovered some states use a system where repair costs must not exceed a percentage of the ACV determine if a car is totaled or not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The car was a recovery stolen car, besides from the damages I mentioned, there is also a broken window.
The condition of the engine is unknown, since they really drove it like you stole it.
I think I'm walking away from this one.
there is a saying from the Mercedes W201 forum "Nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes".
Thanks for all your insights gentlemen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts