Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stepson gave his mother and I a 99 CRV in reasonably fair condition, other than the $1500 we had to shell out for a valve job. But the left rear side marker is missing, and the dash clock failed. I'd also like to get some used upgrade stock spoke wheels. A guy I met with the same model CRV told me he searched every local salvage yard and there are NO CRV's. My stepson told me the same thing, and the reason was that Honda buys all the wrecked CRV's before they go into the salvage yard.

I assume this is because they can create a monopoly on replacement parts. The local dealer wanted $240 for the clock!!!! They claimed it was because they had to tear the back side under of the dash to get to it. The guy I met dissed that by showing me he just popped the vent register out of the dash from the front and the clock from the back of that.

This practice of Honda's almost seems illegal, like an anti-trust act or something. Doesn't seem fair to consumers that can't afford new parts.

My question is: is this just a local, southern California thing or nationwide?
And where can I get used parts at a reasonable price?

I finally just replaced the OEM CD unit with one from Pioneer that only cost $180 on line, is much better quality, more bass, and has a clock. So that was a win, win move for me. But I'd still like to get some other parts too.

Any advice or leads would be greatly appreciated.

Ron Hartigan

·
Premium Member
3,660 Posts
A guy I met with the same model CRV told me he searched every local salvage yard and there are NO CRV's. My stepson told me the same thing, and the reason was that Honda buys all the wrecked CRV's before they go into the salvage yard.
I assume this is because they can create a monopoly on replacement parts. The local dealer wanted $240 for the clock!!!! They claimed it was because they had to tear the back side under of the dash to get to it. The guy I met dissed that by showing me he just popped the vent register out of the dash from the front and the clock from the back of that.

This practice of Honda's almost seems illegal, like an anti-trust act or something. Doesn't seem fair to consumers that can't afford new parts.

My question is: is this just a local, southern California thing or nationwide?
And where can I get used parts at a reasonable price?

I finally just replaced the OEM CD unit with one from Pioneer that only cost $180 on line, is much better quality, more bass, and has a clock. So that was a win, win move for me. But I'd still like to get some other parts too.

Any advice or leads would be greatly appreciated.

Ron Hartigan

Welcome to the CRVOC Ron. I have never heard of a manufaturer going out if it way to buy up vehicles before they hit the salvage yards.

Honda msrp on the clock without labour is $247.00. You can pick one up one line for $183.00 and install it yourself.

http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/hpa_...sionID=5&SectionID=5&IllustrationGroupID=2313

1 - 3 of 3 Posts