Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I 'm trying to see if anyone else is having same issues with their Honda CR-V's. Unfortunately I've had terrible luck thus issues with my CR-V since the day I bought it, starting with when it was delivered to the dealership supposedly brand new and dealership was eager for me to handover the cash and take the car. Fortunately right before signing the papers I noticed that the whole roof was dented and windshield was crushed. Dealership supposedly never noticed the damage and was selling me a damaged car for the price of a brand new car. Obviously I didn't buy that car and had them order a new one for me.
Anyways, like I said, from that day on I've been having so many issues with this second brand new car, that I'm getting frustrated even writing about it.

Latest, or I should say ongoing issue that I'm trying to deal with now it the exterior paint. My car is a custom paint color called Pewter Pearl, which only came on SE CR-V's in 2005, which is what I have. I'm not sure if it's because of this specific type of paint, When I tried to remove the sap droppings (from a pine or oak tree), it removes the paint too. Older sap drops had eaten through the paint completely. I used several different products, tried removing the new sap drops the day it happened, but same issue, it damages the paint.
Unfortunately I have an assigned spot at the condo complex, and HOA is not cutting the trees down, so it's an ongoing issue for me.
I've read some people are able to remove sap without any damage to the exterior paint, but other's that have special/custom color paint (like myself), have same issues of sap damaging the paint and leaving stains etc. as those type of paints are more susceptible to the damage?

To make matters worse, my Travelers insurance is refusing to pay for repairs, even though it should be covered under my comprehensive policy. So now I'm stuck with $5/6K of out of pocket repair costs.

I was wondering if anyone else here has encountered same issues with their car exterior paint being damaged by sap?
Anyone had to deal with insurance with similar issues? My insurance rep claims that I should've cleaned the sap off imminently and it would've come off without a problem and that's why they are not paying for repairs. But I tried cleaning it right a way and It damaged the paint.
So is insurance BS'g me saying that sap comes off, trying to get out of paying me, or does the sap really comes off without damaging the paint on standard paints and my car got damaged because it's a special color paint?

Any advice here how to deal with this issue, or insurance?

Thanks,
Maria

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,171 Posts
I thought that even the "Special" paints were Clear-Coated these days? If so, the CC isn't anything special.

Have you asked an auto detailer about removing the sap and protecting the finish?

Since you can't change your parking spot, you may need to fit a car cover when you park it. (That will help resist damage from ultraviolet sun rays as an added benefit.)

Hope you resolve the issue, good luck.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Have you tried removing the sap by using a kerosene soaked rag on it?

I have given every car I have ever owned a kerosene bath annually, it has never affected the paintwork. Kero is the best thing out there to remove tar too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts