Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another clean - 7 months after the previous one!

I removed the spring loaded plate to gain better access to the lens, but took some time to replace it. Here are some details on cleaning the lens without removing the plate or the circuit board above the DVD unit.

Remove DVD from satnav!
Remove satnav from dashboard.
Remove rear cover from satnav (13 screws). Lift top cover to disconnect fan cable from circuit board.

Drench a cotton bud in meths. Insert cotton bud into 3rd hole from left of rear edge of DVD unit (top unit) at an angle of -5% (to the left). This hole is partially covered by a metal tab on the circuit board, but the cotton bud will go in. Insert so that there is about 2cm of cotton bud protruding from hole. Waggle it about. The lens is proud of its surroundings, so it will be well cleaned.
If you want to see that you are cleaning the lens, remove circuit board. The lens is just visible with a torch, but you can't clean the lens from above without removing the spring loaded plate.

How often is this error reoccurring? I have hoovered the inside of the satnav before, but next time I intend to hoover the inside of the dashboard before replacing the unit!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've just followed these instruction (with helpful photos) and a later tip about gaining direct access to the lens with poking through holes....and I'm delighted to say it worked first time. The last bit was a little fiddly but providing you note the position of everything you remove and separate it is not too bad.
This was my first attempt at curing this problem and I would like to say a big thank you to westy and alecd. WELL DONE.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ribbon Cable

Hi, first time posting on here. I followed the instructions (thankyou by the way) but as I folded the circuit board back over the ribbon cable came loose. No force was applied, it just sort of fell out. there doesn't seem to be any damage to the ribbon cable and it looks like it might just push back in, but can anybody offer any advice on this or have I completely broken the sat nav? Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi first post , and i just want to say thanks to digitaldr for an excelent post on how to clean the dvd/satnav lens .
worked for me
thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
This has been more than helpful. I had gotten used to seeing the error message permanently displayed on my screen for the last 3 YEARS, attempting cleaning with cleaning clothes, rulers, cd cleaning disks, air sprays....
Thank you, digitaldr, and all other contributors. I see a (very outdated) map now on my display for the first time in years.
It was not as simple to get to the lens as a couple of you hinted, but we got creative in the process.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your information enabled me to strip, clean, and reassemble the sat nav unit successfully. The info has saved me + £400.00 on a replacement unit from my local dealer/robber, but not before I've ordered and paid for, a Garmin sat nav from Amazon as a replacement !!
Thanks a million

·
Registered
1 Posts
A huge Thank You to you Digital Dr, I followed your instructions and the navigator unit on my newly bought 2005 CR-V is back in to operation again. Fantastic! I´m also surprised about how little of a very thin layer of dust/dirt will ruin the function of the Sat Nav.
Love guys like you that makes the life easier for others. Kind regards from Anders in Stockholm, Sweden.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fantastic. Thanks for this it worked a treat. The only addition from me would be that the cleaning holes are the two above those shown in the picture. It's obvious anyway once you are there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great guide, thanks!
Just fixed my 2003 Civic Type-R SatNav using it :)

One point that may help others, which is why I signed up on the forum, is that in the following picture:

The tiny screw just above the indicated area (circled in red) can be removed, then the center bit lifted out (with two other bits underneath), giving you direct access to the lens.
Bit of a faff getting it back together, but not too hard.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Westy
Guys, If I may add a Warning to this tip. The first part of the tutorial is very straightforward. However, upon reading this section I figured it would be much easier to clean the lens simply by removing the lens 'cover' as described. I have now been working on putting the thing back on for about three times the amount of time it took me to do the rest of the disassembly. I'm really, really wishing I hadn't taken it off, and just cleaned the lens through the holes in the side.
Do so at your own risk!

EDIT: I just read the comment by 'Compaqrat' on Page 2 - great tip to make this a little easier - Insert a CD/DVD first. Very useful, still fiddly but I was able to get it all back together.

Great tutorial overall, thank you OP and commenters. My CR-V Sat Nav is working again! :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
Just wanted to say a big thanks to all the write ups and photos. I was at the point of launching the set into the skip and purchasing something else for my 05 CRV but now it has a new lease of life...brill

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would like to thank PAUL for his write up and most of all his pictures which were so helpful however after cleaning lazar for about 3time I still have no joy ,,Could someone please help my conclusions are LAZER, DISC,GPS CABLE, but how do I check to find out which does not work thank you mike

·
Registered
2 Posts
FOLLOWED YOUR INSTRUTIONS GREAT CLEANED LAZER AND HAVE NOW REMOVED 3x TIMES HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT NEEDS REPLACING AS MY UNIT CANNOT PICK UP GPS

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just used this method to fix the sat Nav on my 2004 CRV.
I have used the cd cleaning disc and ruler and cloth methods with no success but this worked a treat.
Very happy to have a full functioning sat Nav again :)
I managed to get the PCB out without bending any clips.
Thank you very much to the original instruction creator, great detail and easy to follow instructions.

Does anyone know if you can hook up a reversing camera to this sat Nav head unit?
Were some of the models originally manufactured with reversing cameras or would that have been on later models?

Many thanks
Kev in the UK

·
Registered
1 Posts
This a great and easy fix for anyone with a little technical ability and a screwdriver set. My UK CRV2 EX Diesel has been the family work horse for just under 10 years and 120,000 miles. The rocker switch (joystick) on the satnav packed up three years ago and I found Car Audio Repair Services in Hove to replace that, an easy drop in for a couple of hours to remove and fix. Just recently the DVD read error came, annoyingly it went permanent during a long drive to Scotland and back last week. I got fed up with the display on DVD read error during night drives (no ability to switch it off when the read error locks the display). Yesterday I purchased 1L bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol from a local pharmacy £7.99, got some cotton buds and chose the ones with the least lint and set to work. You could see the laser lens getting cleaner by the level of reflection from the light I used to view the laser lens, and you could see the dirt on the cotton bud. In a couple of hours (for the complete job removal, access to clean and re-install) it works as new. Well done, highly recommended. Minor note, the holes circled to access for cleaning head in the final picture of the main post are actually the CD holes, try the ones higher up for the DVD! This is obvious if you get this far. I probably should have tried to see if I could clean the CD laser head as well whilst accessing the unit in this way, still I have 990ml of Isopropyl Alcohol left to do that sometime down the line if needs be.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fixed my 06 UK CRV with above method I did remove the spring clip assembly and although tricky I managed to put it all back together so it now has a stay of execution as i'm hankering after a bluetooth replacement.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Brilliant fix. Just done my V2 sat nav head (same as in pics) & loaded V2.11 software with a "force download" after doing the clean. All working perfect now & took me around an hour in total. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tom

I would say. Don't need to touch this tiny screw. You just need to play a little bit with the two metal things and you will be able to take it out to get direct access to the lance. I didn't unscrew it.
Thanks to everyone who participated to create this guide.

Great guide, thanks!
Just fixed my 2003 Civic Type-R SatNav using it :)

One point that may help others, which is why I signed up on the forum, is that in the following picture:

The tiny screw just above the indicated area (circled in red) can be removed, then the center bit lifted out (with two other bits underneath), giving you direct access to the lens.
Bit of a faff getting it back together, but not too hard.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Westy

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
About this Discussion
43 Replies
37 Participants
Glitch33
Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums
Honda CR-V Owners Club forum, the best hang-out to discuss CVT, Hybrids, trim levels and all things CR-V
Full Forum Listing