Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sat Nav lens Cleaning Guide (Disassembly)

140K views 51 replies 45 participants last post by  nogasbiker 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi - this is my first post. My 2005 UK spec CRV exec had been giving a sat nav DVD disc reading error for quite some time. The disc itself was scratch free. I tried a lens cleaning disc with no success. Next I tried the old window cleaning wipe wrapped around a ruler method. This did help for a few weeks but before long the annoying error screen had returned. Finally I decided to take the plunge and open up the head unit to clean the lens with a cotton bud. I found a few guides on various forums but none with photos so I decided to take a few snaps and throw together my own guide:

A few things before you start:

Remove the sat nav DVD and check that it's not badly scratched
make sure you have the keycode!
I disconnected the battery - probably not strictly necessary but better to be safe
Equipment - a large and small Phillips screwdriver, a powerful torch, a container to keep screws in, a pile of books roughly the same height as the unit, cotton buds & cleaning fluid eg isopropyl alcohol or window cleaner

Here's a picture of the unit:

To remove it unscrew the two screws under the silver trim and then carefully disengage the two clips at the top of the trim (sorry no photos of this). Once you've done this it's just a matter of removing four screws that hold the headunit in place.

Next slide the unit out and unplug all the connectors at the back and lie it with its top down on a table.

Remove all the screws from the back plate

The two screws circled in red are the only ones that are different from any of the others you'll be removing throughout the whole of this guide (they're much longer) so there's no need to remember which screw goes where. Carefully remove the back plate as it's got a fan attached.

Next detach tne fan by removing the two screws marked in red below:

Flip the unit over and remove the top plate by pulling it up - sorry no picture.

This will expose the underside of the circuit board which is covered by a metal plate - DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE THIS PLATE - it's not necessary. Before removing the circuit board be aware that it is attached to something (I don't know what) by a ribbon cable. As far as i know it is not possible to detach this ribbon cable so once you remove the board you'll have to flip it over to the left (when you have the back of the unit towards you). I used a pile of books roughly the same height as the unit to support it after I'd flipped it over. The circuit board also plugs into a socket at the front right.
So now go ahead and remove the screws at the four corners of the board (circled in red) and disconnect the two little white connectors at the back of the board (one is for the fan).

Next remove two screws at the back below the board. In actual fact you will have removed the one circled in blue when you took of the back plate - I didn't!

Next comes a slightly tricky bit - removal of the board itself. First slide the board toward the back of the unit to disconnect the board from the socket -

Pins on board:

Socket:

Once you've done this you'll need to tilt the back of the board upwards and pull it GENTLY towards you to get it out from under the little tabs at the front. unfortunately it's attached on the left hand side by the aforementioned ribbon cable. In order to clear the tab at the left hand corner I bent it back just a little bit with a screw driver. You might get away without having to do this but I didn't want to risk damaging the ribbon cable.
Once you've freed the board up flip it over to the left onto the pile of books.

Here's a photo of the bent tab after I've flipped the board:

Now all that remains is to clean the lens. If you're not sure what it looks like have a look at one on an optical laptop drive. using a bright torch shine it at into the location shown below. It looks like a small drop of blue water.

To clean it shove your cotton bud dipped cleaning fluid through one of the holes at the back of the unit as shown below - I can't remember which one:

I also used a dry cotton bud to finish.

Once you've put everything back together reinstall the unit, reconnect the battery, drive your CRV somewhere outside away from buildings and keep your engine running - the reason for doing this will become clear shortly!

Enter the keycode and pop the sat nav DVD back in. At this point you'll see the following message:

Have to say I found this message a bit odd - if you happened to be parked near some buildings/inside it's telling you that you can't move your car at this time!

Be warned it can actually take 10 mins for a signal to be acquired.

It's late and I'm tired so I hope that was all fairly clear :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi guys

Thats pretty much what i did, here were my directions.

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10073

It is a bit much that as the customer we get landed with a bill for £200-£250 (er how much is a top of the range TOM TOM..?) for such a simple fix, only to be told that that the work diddnt have a guarentee of working either.

It really ought to be down as a known issue as so many people seem to experience it when they have done either nothing at all or like me simply ejected the DVD.

Must say the sat nav looks good and it does its job.
But with updates comming out only once a year and to be charged yet annother 150 notes for the privelage (Mine still shows 3 petrol Stations tht closed 4 years ago)... and with none of the features of a modern Sat Nav unit: ie Speed Cameras, Road Works etc etc..

on my older unit I cant even sellect a location by postcode.

Paul

#3 ·
Great guide, thanks!
Just fixed my 2003 Civic Type-R SatNav using it :)

One point that may help others, which is why I signed up on the forum, is that in the following picture:
The tiny screw just above the indicated area (circled in red) can be removed, then the center bit lifted out (with two other bits underneath), giving you direct access to the lens.
Bit of a faff getting it back together, but not too hard.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Westy

#29 · (Edited)
Great guide, thanks!
Just fixed my 2003 Civic Type-R SatNav using it :)

One point that may help others, which is why I signed up on the forum, is that in the following picture:

The tiny screw just above the indicated area (circled in red) can be removed, then the center bit lifted out (with two other bits underneath), giving you direct access to the lens.
Bit of a faff getting it back together, but not too hard.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Westy
Guys, If I may add a Warning to this tip. The first part of the tutorial is very straightforward. However, upon reading this section I figured it would be much easier to clean the lens simply by removing the lens 'cover' as described. I have now been working on putting the thing back on for about three times the amount of time it took me to do the rest of the disassembly. I'm really, really wishing I hadn't taken it off, and just cleaned the lens through the holes in the side.
Do so at your own risk!

EDIT: I just read the comment by 'Compaqrat' on Page 2 - great tip to make this a little easier - Insert a CD/DVD first. Very useful, still fiddly but I was able to get it all back together.

Great tutorial overall, thank you OP and commenters. My CR-V Sat Nav is working again! :D

#4 ·
Great instructions - some additional info

Hi - Many thanks for these instructions. I am running one of these units in my Honda Civic for the last 4 years but have been frustrated at this unable to read DVD problem that seems to occur every year, mostly in the autumn. Sometimes it fixes itself by February but not this time.

The ribbon cable connects to the DVD drive itself. I found that you can remove the DVD drive by undoing the 4 gold coloured screws that are at the corners of the drive. Note - when replacing the drive it is easiest to put the screws back into the drive holes first, then locate the assembly back into the frame (because its difficult to put the screws back in without a magnetic screwdriver).

The ribbon cable can be disconnect from the DVD drive - carefully release the ribbon cable grip (tiny brown sliver of plastic) and pull out the cable. Re-assembly is the reverse process. Just be careful pressing the grip back into place and make sure the cable is square into the socket.

With the DVD drive out you can manually move the lens head by carefully rotating its drive shaft (it has a coarse helix thread) using a small finger or screwdriver, so that the lens assembly is almost in the corner of the DVD drive. You can then clean the rear prism area dead easily. This method also lets you move the head assembly to get better access to the front lens for cleaning as well.

I used camera optic paper and lens cleaner from my old camera kit. Afterwards I used the old paper to wipe out the inside of the sat nav frame where the DVD drive sits to remove any dust etc.. to help prevent this problem from occurring again.

I tried the previous posters idea of undoing the screw in the middle of the DVD drive, but be aware Alpine have used screw lock on most screws and I could not shift this particular screw without doing damage.

Also, I did not have to bend the metal lug to get the circuit board out - it will come out if you tilt it up enough and rotate it clockwise (there is another tiny metal lug that holds the board adjacent to the ribbon cable).

All in all it took about 2 hours - most of which was trying to remember how to get the gear stick cover off. And best of all the sat nav worked first time.
:eek:)

#5 ·
Another version!

I have just finished my second lens clean. FYI my latest notes...

Remove Sat Nav DVD disk and any CD that may be in unit.
Remove two screws under the air vents. Pull out trim and then four bolts retaining the unit. Pull out unit and remove several plugs. All removed pretty easily.

Disassembly / laser clean
I did this with minimal disassembly - without removing side brackets or screen. DVD is the top unit.

Unscrew the rear cover (13 screws inc. 2 long ones).
Prise the top cover off unit by levering from rear.
Detach fan cable, and remove rear cover.

Unscrew 4 screws holding circuit board (and metal screen).
Detach 2nd cable, then release circuit board by pulling the rear edge up and away from screen. Pull so that left hand corner (when viewed from screen) comes away first - to release screen connection.
Circuit board still attached by ribbon cable that can't easily be disconnected. Prop board in a vertical position using chopstick!

Remove spring loaded centre DVD 'holder' by unscrewing single small screw. Holder splits into 3 parts (2 metal and one plastic). Remove the 3 parts. Lens now visible below. (I had no luck trying to clean the lens via access holes).

Clean lens with meths / cotton bud.

To re-assemble the holder, use a piece of cotton under lower section of holder to lift it into place while replacing the screw. Place cotton perpendicular to a line between the two 'guide posts' on the lower section.
Continue re-assembly in reverse order, making sure to re-connect the two cables.

Have radio code to hand.
GPS system has to reset itself. Takes 10 stationary minutes.
Radio station presets will have to be re-saved.

#7 ·
Hi,
I thought I'd take the time to register simply to post a big thank you to digitaldr for posting this guide to repairing the Honda / Alpine sat-nav.
After the unit was taking longer and longer to detect the dvd, I finally got the dreaded "DVD disc is reading an error" message. Cleaning the CD and a lens cleaner disc both failed.
The procedure above took me barely 30min and unit can read the DVD again.. So far so great. Even better, I had an update disc which the unit has always refused to read, and it has now read it and updated the maps.

Many thanks. I recommend this to anyone. Very easy..

#9 ·
Thank you

Just wanted to say THANK YOU to Digitaldr for the fix and photos you posted.
We followed your instructions tonight and it worked.
Half way through we thought, what on earth are we doing are we bonkers, but glad we stuck at it!
Honda have been really awful to deal with and very unhelpful, I'm so pleased we don't have to pay them a penny.

Thank you very much!!!:)

#10 · (Edited)
Hi there. That is an excellent write up and photos. I followed it and all went well apart from I had an extra problem with mine. After following your write up I put it all back together and took it out to set the gps. It all started to work well but then I smelt a burning smell from the sat nav player. I took the player out again and done some tests only to find the fan had stopped working hence the overheating causing the burning smell. I took the fan off and the next day went to maplins and bought the closest fan to the sat nav one. I had to modify the fan screw points a little as when I fitted the fan on it was to high so I adjusted the holes and finally got a perfect fit. I put it all back together and reset my gps. The sat nav has been working fine since. The fan works fine with no smell of burning. I am really happy. Saved myself £200 plus.

#12 · (Edited)
Sat Nav lens Cleaning Guide

Hi All. Have to say another big thank you to Digitaldr for the fix and photos posted. (Also, thanks to Brian for pointing me to this forum.)

My wifes' CRV is a 2003 UK i-VTEC SE Executive which started showing the DVD error message a few months ago. Removing and cleaning the DVD resolved the fault for a couple of weeks but it returned again without allowing the same fix to be used. Using Digitaldr's guide, I fixed the DVD read error exactly as described although it took two disassembly/assemblies to get it going. The second time, I took out the DVD reader from the complete assembly and also removed the top part of the frame. It allowed me a better look at the lens than I had the first time and seemingly better access to clean it with the cotton bud soaked in normal spectacle cleaner fluid; I also cleaned the DVD disc with the fluid and a lint-free cloth. Once the equipment had been re-installed back into the car, I let the GPS get it's fix before inserting the newly cleaned DVD and all was well.

Incidentally, if you have problems reassembling the spring loaded centre DVD 'holder', use an old CD/DVD and push it into the drive. That allows a much easier reassembly. Just use a cotton bud or similar to carefully push it back out again.

This procedure saved me a quoted £400 from my local Honda dealer and the hassle from the wife of not having a working Sat Nav.

Thanks to all the contributors to the thread; they all added that little bit more to make the job very easy.

#13 ·

Just another huge thank you from me too, we have had the same problem where our sat nav wouldnt recognise the disc and when it did nothing would come up on the map or you couldnt input anything into the address.

Just had it apart, took no time at all, lense cleaned and put back in, all working fine now :D

#15 ·
Nice write up folks.

I had the same issue about a year ago and in the end got it fixed at Honda, would have saving £250 if only I had known.

All is working well now except that the ENT buton has become a nightmare to use. It with navigate up, down, left and right OK, but it's impossible to just push the button forward to select anything. Any idea how to open up the front and claen the contact!

Regards

#16 ·
You say to start, remove the two screws under the silver trim and then "carefully disengage the two clips at the top of the trim". [/I]
I have removed the two screws as stated but the trim remains solid in the dashboard and I cannot see any "clips" at the top of the trim. Its flush with the dashboard. I don't want to be too rough because it really it not moving at all and leverage from a screwdriver underneath is firmly resisted by the trim (don't want to snap it). So, What hope for me? I cannot even remove the unit from the car. Has anyone else had a problem finding these invisible clips?

Thanks,

Alan

#18 · (Edited)
Fantastic now its done. I did remove the metal spring loaded plate above the lens which gives direct access to the lens for cleaning. But be warned, it is very much of a fiddle to get the spring loaded plate back on so look very carefully at the three parts before and as you remove them!!!

I also think that you show the wrong holes (in your photo) for cleaning the lens from the rear. It is the right hand hole (looking from behind) which is level with the location of the lens. Ithink you have ringed the two holes at the lower level.

Alan

#20 ·
Thankyou so much to Digitaldr for great info / instructions.
I have had the white disc read error showing for the last two years. Got so fed up with it I velcroed an old style touch screen sat nav over it. See picture, sorry about clarity.
Followed instructions and now all working as should. Have also looked at updating disc, horror prices as expected from honda.

Might if keeping CRV? invest in newer slimmer style touch screen / more screen less thick edges, cheaper / free updates sat nav to stick back on. As now know when I come to sell CRV it wont put buyers off with white disc screen of death showing

Actually with existing honda sat nav working again, it is a bit limited in my opinion with what I have been using.

Thanks once again!!!! to OP and all who conributed!!

Electronics Multimedia Technology Electronic device Vehicle

#21 ·
Another clean - 7 months after the previous one!

I removed the spring loaded plate to gain better access to the lens, but took some time to replace it. Here are some details on cleaning the lens without removing the plate or the circuit board above the DVD unit.

Remove DVD from satnav!
Remove satnav from dashboard.
Remove rear cover from satnav (13 screws). Lift top cover to disconnect fan cable from circuit board.

Drench a cotton bud in meths. Insert cotton bud into 3rd hole from left of rear edge of DVD unit (top unit) at an angle of -5% (to the left). This hole is partially covered by a metal tab on the circuit board, but the cotton bud will go in. Insert so that there is about 2cm of cotton bud protruding from hole. Waggle it about. The lens is proud of its surroundings, so it will be well cleaned.
If you want to see that you are cleaning the lens, remove circuit board. The lens is just visible with a torch, but you can't clean the lens from above without removing the spring loaded plate.

How often is this error reoccurring? I have hoovered the inside of the satnav before, but next time I intend to hoover the inside of the dashboard before replacing the unit!

#22 ·
I've just followed these instruction (with helpful photos) and a later tip about gaining direct access to the lens with poking through holes....and I'm delighted to say it worked first time. The last bit was a little fiddly but providing you note the position of everything you remove and separate it is not too bad.
This was my first attempt at curing this problem and I would like to say a big thank you to westy and alecd. WELL DONE.

#23 ·
Ribbon Cable

Hi, first time posting on here. I followed the instructions (thankyou by the way) but as I folded the circuit board back over the ribbon cable came loose. No force was applied, it just sort of fell out. there doesn't seem to be any damage to the ribbon cable and it looks like it might just push back in, but can anybody offer any advice on this or have I completely broken the sat nav? Thanks

#25 ·
This has been more than helpful. I had gotten used to seeing the error message permanently displayed on my screen for the last 3 YEARS, attempting cleaning with cleaning clothes, rulers, cd cleaning disks, air sprays....
Thank you, digitaldr, and all other contributors. I see a (very outdated) map now on my display for the first time in years.
It was not as simple to get to the lens as a couple of you hinted, but we got creative in the process.

#26 ·
Your information enabled me to strip, clean, and reassemble the sat nav unit successfully. The info has saved me + £400.00 on a replacement unit from my local dealer/robber, but not before I've ordered and paid for, a Garmin sat nav from Amazon as a replacement !!
Thanks a million

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.