Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
2020 CR-V 2.0 Hybrid i-MMD AWD EX
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have recently (23/9/20) taken delivery of a brand new Honda CR-V EX Hybrid 2ltr Petrol. This being my third CR-V (The first two being second hand) I have the following items that perhaps someone can answer, advise or assist me with.

(1) The Software & Maps on the Garmin Sat Navigator installed in it appear to be very much out of date. (i.e New Major Roads opened a year or more ago are not shown at all) so all or any directions cannot be relied upon.

Obviously I was charged the usual extra for the Pre Delivery Inspection to be done, so surely a Customer spending £39,000 on a new vehicle can expect it to be up to date, or am I asking too much? I have contacted the Sales Garage whom as yet the only reply I have from them is that they are waiting for a reply from Honda themselves. I too have contacted Honda myself via e-mail, but to date I have nothing from them either.

(2) Also, regarding the Sat Nav; has there been anything being done regarding the low & useless volume of the Directions at all? As all I can find so far is yet again is everyone appears to be waiting for Honda to acknowledge, advise and correct the problem.

Many thanks in anticipation of anyone's assistance

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello folks, By way of an update on this I actually managed to get through to Honda on the Telephone and explained both problems. Firstly with regards to the very poor volume of the Directions Voice he pointed out that he will log it into their items/reports and should they get enough people having the same problem then hopefully their tech guys will sort it out.

However with regards to the old info on the Maps of my new car, I have managed to download and update using 'Garmin Express' which I already had for my two other portable Garmins. I had to use a USB stick, plug it into the USB socket in the Car and on the 'Navigation System Screen' went to Settings/Device/Update Map/ and followed the instruction which took about 30 seconds. Then took the USB stick to my PC and plugged it in. My PC went straight into the already installed 'Garmin Express' which straight away came up with "Add Device" which I followed and straight away it offered me an Update which took about 15 minutes to download. Then plugged the USB back into car and went into the Navigation Screen System again then Settings/Device/Update Map and followed the instructions. It only took about 10 minutes and it all was done. Simples. Anyway I hope that this may be useful to others, in the meantime if anyone hears about the 'Volume Problem' please, please let me and everyone else know.

Many thanks
Barzey

·
Registered
2019 CR-V Hybrid SR Crystal Red Metallic
335 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the new car.
I’ve always found most in car nav systems to be outdated so rely on Google for my maps. Maps are always up to date and seamlessly integrate with the head unit via CarPlay. Might be worth looking at in the future to save time faffing around with updates.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks 'Charlie1960' I never even gave that a thought being a Garmin user for some years, but YES indeed, I shall have a go at that. Many thanks for the heads up.:unsure:

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,741 Posts
I have had success in adjusting the sat nav volume with the radio volume knob WHILE THE SAT NAV IS speaking, at least when we had our '18 Touring. We haven't used the navigation on our '20 yet.

Reactions: gohlkus

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have had success in adjusting the sat nav volume with the radio volume knob WHILE THE SAT NAV IS speaking, at least when we had our '18 Touring. We haven't used the navigation on our '20 yet.
Many thanks for the suggestion there tried quite a few times but it didn't work for me

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've just bought a brand new CRV 2.0 SR Hybrid Auto, September 1st.
The volume on my SatNav is also almost none existent.
I've had it back to the Dealer but, they couldn't solve the problem.
They have promised to investigate but, reading this webpage, I don't hold much hope!
How can I get this problem sorted?

·
Registered
86 Posts
If the volume for the navigation was turned down, it is a little difficult to get back, as stated before you can adjust the volume by using the volume knob, but you have to do this "while the navigation is talking" otherwise all you will change is the entertainment volume (radio). Try this. enter a destination into the navigation and start the route, there should be an announcement when the route starts, also as you approach a turn there will be directions given, these are the only times that you can change the volume on the navigation. you may have to try a number of times to get it

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've just bought a brand new CRV 2.0 SR Hybrid Auto, September 1st.
The volume on my SatNav is also almost none existent.
I've had it back to the Dealer but, they couldn't solve the problem.
They have promised to investigate but, reading this webpage, I don't hold much hope!
How can I get this problem sorted?
Hi there, It certainly does look like an item Honda are going to continue to ignore. I will give that 'Volume adjustment' from "Bchan_42" one more try, but I do think its a loss cause though. £39,500 for a car that cannot provide a working volume for its installed Sat-Nav is disgusting. Hell, the garage I bought mine from didn't even update the Sat Nav before delivery! So I have lost all faith in Honda at the moment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for your reply but, I've already tried that.
That's why I took the car back to the Dealer.
They tried the same thing, before they believed me.
They have told me that they will get in touch with the Manufacturer.
Thanks again

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, I have just been out and tried the 'fix' that "bchan_42" kindly suggested another 6 times. But without any luck at all, so I guess we have no option than to wait until Honda recognises the fault and gets it put right.
I suppose I am lucky in a way as I do have a Garmin LM-10 (the one with a built in Videocam and I also pay yearly for the up to date Speed Traps & Camera warnings) that now sits behind the Heads Up Screen and does its stuff. But friends are constantly asking why I have Two Sat-Navs operating in the car and they cannot believe how Honda has & is letting its customers down so badly. Particularly when I told them I had previously spoken to Honda themselves whom denied any knowledge of the problem. I guess they never look at these pages. Thank goodness for CR-V club so that we can at least share our collective hints, opinions, tips etc etc.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for your reply but, I've already tried that.
That's why I took the car back to the Dealer.
They tried the same thing, before they believed me.
They have told me that they will get in touch with the Manufacturer.
Thanks again
Hello, I have just received a response from Garmin and this is their reply:-
Hi Derrick ,

Thank you fr your email.

Unfortunately, I cannot add anything else beside what my colleague Anthony already mentioned. We can only provide support for maps and software updates for your navigator.

Kind regards,
Eugen
Garmin Europe

So it looks like a great many people have spent an awful lot of money on what has been for many years an excellent vehicle to be let down by this.
Honda certainly need to sort this matter out as a matter of urgency if they are interested in rectifying their products faults. Even if this means them replacing the entire unit.
After all, when all is said and done; what is the point of a Sat-Nav when you cannot hear the audio instructions as you are driving along thus forcing drivers to look at a map more than they should or should need to.

·
Triangular Horse Knees
5,174 Posts
This whole sat nav volume issue is quite worrying.

I dont know any other UK member on this site that has a 1.5T like mine, but I dont have any issues with the sat nav volume. The issue, thus far, seems to be affecting all UK members that have the Hybrid....hmm.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmm yes indeed, Mine is the 2.0 EX Hybrid i-MMD AWD (I stayed away from the 1.5 due to the reported concerns about the Fuel getting into the Sump problem) so it looks like I have traded one problem for another on the balance of things. What is happening to Honda these days, they used to be so good!

·
Banned
2020 CR-V Touring Hybrid
137 Posts
Hmm yes indeed, Mine is the 2.0 EX Hybrid i-MMD AWD (I stayed away from the 1.5 due to the reported concerns about the Fuel getting into the Sump problem) so it looks like I have traded one problem for another on the balance of things. What is happening to Honda these days, they used to be so good!
Volume control for the Nav works fine on my 2020 US Touring trim hybrid. Fully adjustable and plenty loud.

·
Triangular Horse Knees
5,174 Posts
For a start, the 1.5T engine woes were largely outside of the UK and hasnt affected squillions of cars like it has say, in China or the USA, where Honda's sell by the truckload.

I had a 1.5T CVT Civic, never missed a beat. Now have the 1.5T CVT CR-V EX, and its flawless engine wise. So thats that discussion ended!

As for the sound problem, it might be worth trying to escalate to Honda UK HQ....

·
Triangular Horse Knees
5,174 Posts
Volume control for the Nav works fine on my 2020 US Touring trim hybrid. Fully adjustable and plenty loud.
Dont forget, you guys get domestically built CR-Vs. We dont.

Ours originate from Japan. I wonder if the build process/quality etc around sat nav volumes differ between the two sets of regions? Quite possible....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's a thought. Here in the UK they are up to all kinds of tricks to make things more expensive for us; like removing various already included trim from the imported vehicles when they receive them. They are then able to charge the Customers extra for them as 'add-ons'.
As I understand things they are built over here in Swindon, Wiltshire. It certainly is possible that the build quality may well be not up to the standard of quality you guys get direct from Japan.
Any pointers on how to escalate this volume problem with Honda Europe would be appreciated. Off the top of my head I believe that I have mailed them and been advised to contact the supplying dealer whom have merely stated they have contacted Honda and await reply. So appear to be in their 'Loop' of denial.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts